Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2020 Fago

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2020 Fago

Old 12-07-19, 04:27 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
2020 Fago

Any one seen the 2020 Fargo yet?
Should I trade the 2009 in for a 2020?
They take a 3 inch tire on the new model.

Or

Am I clicking away on a rainy afternoon and the old one rolls fine?
Old 12-07-19, 10:37 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Do you absolutely need a 3" tire?

The newer bikes have nice features, but if you don't need those features, then not much reason to switch.
Old 12-08-19, 06:09 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tinrobot
Do you absolutely need a 3" tire?

The newer bikes have nice features, but if you don't need those features, then not much reason to switch.
I spend a lot of time in the sand. It is cold, I want to go south. The 26th parallel has some nice rock art to search for.

What about the 68* head tube on the new model insted of the (71* ?) on the 2009.

Old 12-11-19, 08:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
Any one seen the 2020 Fargo yet?
No

Should I trade the 2009 in for a 2020?
I dont know.

Am I clicking away on a rainy afternoon and the old one rolls fine?
You tell us if the old one rolls fine.
Old 12-11-19, 11:36 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Well, when the Fargo first came out it was the category definer and had no competition. It was one of Salsa's top selling bikes. Move ahead to 2019 and It has LOTS of good competition and commensurate lagging sales for Salsa. There are a lot of great alternatives to check out, including Bombtrack. The Fargo, for many riders may be way more rugged and heavier than they need for how they ride though and that is worth considering yourself. Maybe ride some of the better quality (and way lighter) gravel bikes out there and even the new Salsa Cutthroat to see if they are better fits for how you ride now... I had a Gen 2 Fargo but for me I found for most of my riding I either wanted a front suspension MTB or a lighter gravel bike. I felt like the Fargo was stuck in the middle and not as good on gravel as a gravel bike and not as good at MTB as an MTB.
Old 12-12-19, 09:11 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Well, when the Fargo first came out it was the category definer and had no competition. It was one of Salsa's top selling bikes. Move ahead to 2019 and It has LOTS of good competition and commensurate lagging sales for Salsa. There are a lot of great alternatives to check out, including Bombtrack. The Fargo, for many riders may be way more rugged and heavier than they need for how they ride though and that is worth considering yourself. Maybe ride some of the better quality (and way lighter) gravel bikes out there and even the new Salsa Cutthroat to see if they are better fits for how you ride now... I had a Gen 2 Fargo but for me I found for most of my riding I either wanted a front suspension MTB or a lighter gravel bike. I felt like the Fargo was stuck in the middle and not as good on gravel as a gravel bike and not as good at MTB as an MTB.
Sounds about right.

I had my 09 down to 27.3 pounds at some point. Just over 30 with 6 bottle cages and a rear rack and fenders.
Maybe more with the 29 x 2.6 inch tires I just mounted. Tight fit.

" may be way more rugged and heavier than they need "
Crashed a couple of good ones over the years. Those lave rocks are hard. I rolled on.
I have to admit, those 2 pound tires take some wear me down as I roll up the road.
Not a road bike, not a mt bike. They sold it to me as a go everywhere touring bike.

The Schwalbe G One 2.35 looks like a good tire for heading north.

I feel out of style and out of date.

first 5 seconds explains it all

Last edited by chrisx; 12-12-19 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-14-19, 04:59 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your Fargo is not suspension corrected so it will take a bigger frame bag if that's your thing. Some would say that also makes for a stronger front end (longer head tube).

Your Fargo will take any rear rack. The new Fargo's are limited to only one rack that Salsa makes.

Do you need moveable dropouts? Simpler is better IMO.

I had a 2010 Fargo that I sold to buy a new bike. I missed it almost immediately and felt like I lost a good friend. I was lucky enough to find a like new 2011 Ti Fargo last year and I would not trade it for anything.

But if you really want 3.0 tires and you still want drops, the new Fargo is a good option.

Last edited by aroundoz; 12-14-19 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-14-19, 08:16 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by aroundoz
Your Fargo is not suspension corrected so it will take a bigger frame bag if that's your thing. Some would say that also makes for a stronger front end (longer head tube).

Your Fargo will take any rear rack. The new Fargo's are limited to only one rack that Salsa makes.
Is that true? Or just a sales guy thing?

Do you need moveable dropouts? Simpler is better IMO.
I have wanted them in the past IGH or single speed.

I had a 2010 Fargo that I sold to buy a new bike. I missed it almost immediately and felt like I lost a good friend. I was lucky enough to find a like new 2011 Ti Fargo last year and I would not trade it for anything.

But if you really want 3.0 tires and you still want drops, the new Fargo is a good option.
Name a flat bar touring bike with 27.5 x 3.0 tires?
2.6 inch tires do not leave room for my pinky to pass between the stays and tire. Which means the paint will get sand blasted when I hit the desert.

Do you think I could trade a 2009 S&S coulped frame for a 2020 uncoupled frame. I had it powder coated a couple of years ago

Last edited by chrisx; 12-14-19 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-14-19, 11:00 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the rack, it's true although I have read of a few people making a non - Salsa rack work. There are a few height adjustable racks out there so maybe there are better options. I would do a search for racks and Fargo and see what people have done.

Bikepacking.com and cyclingabout both have comprehensive lists of plus sized touring bikes. There are some nice ones to drool over. If I were in the market, the Jones LWB would be top of my list but it is a 29er.

I think you would be better off ebaying it. Trying to find someone to trade with would be a stroke of luck.