Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A Squirrel jumped on me

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A Squirrel jumped on me

Old 07-11-20, 08:31 PM
supermatt9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Squirrel jumped on me

I swear I'm not making this up. I was riding on a bike path in Boise, ID that has lots of trees on both sides of the path. All of a sudden I felt like I got punched in the arm by someone with a boxing glove on. I looked over and a squirrel was running for it's life. The only thing I can figure is that it jumped/fell out of a tree and landed on my arm.

Anyone ever have something like that happen to them?
Old 07-11-20, 08:38 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
No squirrels but while riding down a residential street the other day, a bird crapped on my handlebar stem. I didn't see it but the defecator was not a small bird. Had I been going just a tad bit faster, ....never mind....
Old 07-11-20, 08:38 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
No, but my mail carrier has warned me of the dangers of a squirrel running into your wheel spokes. She said a friend of hers was seriously injured in a fall when this happened.

Now I ring the bell or yell at them if they are on the trail ahead of me in hopes of scaring them off the trail. Probably seems silly, but a few weeks ago, one started out of my way, then ducked back in at the last moment and got partway into the spokes of my rear wheel. Didn’t affect my motion but I’m afraid the squirrel was hurt.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 07-12-20 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-11-20, 08:43 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I was riding at night behind a friend in the last couple of miles of a 400k a few weeks ago. A racoon crossed the road in front of us and we both rode right over it. We didn't stop to see if it was OK.
Old 07-11-20, 08:46 PM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
No squirrels but while riding down a residential street the other day, a bird crapped on my handlebar stem. I didn't see it but this was not a small bird. Had I been going just a tad bit faster, ....never mind....
That sounds like the time that one of my former employers was dressed to the nines for a black tie outing, later that evening,and he went outside of his house to observe a flock of honking geese flying overhead and got a massive load right down the dress shirt, No face painting thankfully.
Likes For roundypndr:
Old 07-11-20, 08:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Maybe it thought you were a nut. 😀
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-11-20, 08:52 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Maybe it thought you were a nut. 😀
Old 07-11-20, 09:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1346&bih=600
Old 07-11-20, 09:55 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
No, but my mail carrier has warned me of the dangers of a squirrel running into your wheel spokes. She said a friend of hers was seriously injured in a fall when this happened.

Now I ring the bell or yell at them if they are on the trail ahead of me in hopes of scaring them off the trail. Probably seems silly, but a few weeks ago, one started out of my way, then ducked back in at the last moment and got partway into the spokes of my rear wheel. Didn’t affect my motion but I’m afraid the squirrel was hurt.

Otto
squirrels are wiry little bastards. It’s on the internet so take it for what it’s worth, but there’s a pic floating around out there of the aftermath of a squirrel taking down a cyclist. It apparently ran through a front wheel, got whipped up and jammed in the CF fork. One might think that the spokes would slice the squirrel, but the fork gave way instead, snapping at squirrel level and taking the rider down. The rider survived (injured) but the squirrel succumbed (good!). I have seen a squirrel zapped by high voltage - flash, bang, smoke, squirrel hanging off the cable dead-like for minutes, then waking up and scampering off. Like I said - wiry little bastards. I do my best to avoid them - I slow down until it’s clear that they’re not going to attempt a kamikaze through my wheel
Old 07-11-20, 10:02 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
On my commute to work, I encounter many rabbits and deers in the dawn hours. The deers will run the other directions but the rabbits almost always run alongside my bike then dart across. Haven't ran one over yet but came close several times.
Old 07-11-20, 10:26 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
I had a dove fly into my front wheel once. The bike and I were fine, but I doubt the dove survived.

I didn't turn around to find out.
Old 07-11-20, 10:26 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
There's an excellent reason why bicyclist who ride in a very unpredictable or wobbly manner are referred to as "squirrels". You never know which way they're going to go or when they're going to suddenly stop.

Sometimes a squirrel (or other animal - like a deer) will decide to jump across a trail just as you approach. that can result in a collision.

Cheers
Old 07-11-20, 10:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Did it go for the Jugular vein? was there much blood loss?
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-11-20, 10:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Why you trim trees

Because Sometimes a squirrel touches the tree and the power line at the same time
, and causes a fuse to blow because it created a ground short, and a few blocks lost power..
Old 07-11-20, 10:59 PM
supermatt9

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Did it go for the Jugular vein? was there much blood loss?
Nope. no bites or scratches or even a squirrel shaped bruise unfortunately.
Old 07-12-20, 06:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
A woman I know got hit in the head by a goose. Suffered a concussion, crashed and fractured her clavicle. The force of the impact was so strong it ruptured the goose’s abdomen. It fell to the road and literally spilled its guts.
Old 07-12-20, 06:23 AM
3Roch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
I almost hit a bear once ( about 6 ft away). Does that count?
Old 07-12-20, 06:41 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I had a little dog on a MUP run right under my rear wheel once. Lifted me out of the saddle as I went over him. I don't what made more noise afterwards, the little dog or the screaming oriental lady walking it.

I deal with deer and rabbits on pre-dawn rides all the time. The rabbits are real threats like someone else noted. You really have to watch them darting back and forth in front of the light. I've had deer sight unseen cross in front of me and actually graze my hands on the brake levers. That one had me talking to Jesus. Most scary animal encounter was a great horned owl sitting on a fence post in the middle of the trail. Sucker looked more than 3 feet tall, eyes the size of pie pans in the bike headlight. Didn't see him until the last second, got hit in the face by his wing as he lifted to fly off.

Someone on here has a picture of a rattle snake wrapped up in his derailleur gears and cassette. That is an impressive picture.
Old 07-12-20, 07:17 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Happened to me twice. I had a squirrel go under my rear wheel, in both instances the unlucky squirrel didn't survive.
Old 07-12-20, 07:25 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
No but a couple of times, they've gone right between both my wheels. The timing was just right.
Another incident I had was with a young coyote who ran diagonally in front of my path. Luckily no contact.
Old 07-12-20, 07:41 AM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen

Otto
My wife’s boss crashed hard and broke when a rib when a squirrel got stuck in his spokes. Saw a pic a few years ago. Wheel looked looked like a medieval torture device.
Old 07-12-20, 07:50 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
No squirrel attacks so far in Rhode Island. The squirrels here, so far, are well behaved.
Old 07-12-20, 08:06 AM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
No squirrels but while riding down a residential street the other day, a bird crapped on my handlebar stem. I didn't see it but the defecator was not a small bird. Had I been going just a tad bit faster, ....never mind....
,,,,,,,,,,,,,you know in certain countries that is considered Good Luck , although I think it has to be a direct hit on your person ....!
Likes For Fastfingaz:
Old 07-12-20, 08:08 AM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
This wasn't me but could be some day since I live in Florida...The iguana became lodged in between the front tire and front wheel fork of the bicycle, causing the front tire to lock, which threw the man over the handlebars and onto the asphalt.

The victim was taken to Fishermen’s Hospital in stable condition.

The condition of the iguana did not appear as stable according to deputies.
Likes For timgriffin2:
Old 07-12-20, 08:11 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
No but a couple of times, they've gone right between both my wheels. The timing was just right.
Another incident I had was with a young coyote who ran diagonally in front of my path. Luckily no contact.
Same thing has happened to me, front only. Could not believe my luck to not go down. Have run over a squirrel with the rear wheel, however. Did not stop to check, but did not see a body on return leg.
Likes For But its me:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.