Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

replacement fork options??

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-21, 05:58 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

Hello,
I have a '98 parkpre hybrid that came with a ratty rst suspension fork that works, but it sucks, really. It'll clear a 700x45c tire easily, so i'm looking for something with that much capacity, at least. It's a straight, threaded 1 1/8 steerer, v-brake mounts, and 30mm of travel.
I have been looking for a suspension to replace it with, but the quality ones are pretty pricey. You know, with a lock out and better internals. I'm not attached to suspension, though. In fact, i think i might prefer a rigid. However, i'm not really seeing any option with the correct axle to crown height (ie. suspension corrected) that doesn't require disc brakes. Don't want to go that route.
So, i either need a suspension fork (30-50mm travel) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, or good rigid fork...preferably with straight blades/unicrown. And, again, either fork for v-brakes. Threaded/threadless...doesn't matter. Anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

ps. I'd definitely go with a suspension fork if i could find a really good one in used/good condition in keeping the cost down a bit.

Last edited by thook; 05-18-21 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-18-21, 10:39 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
If you decide on a rigid fork, there are a number of options available on the Surly site. I replaced a horrible suspension fork on my Gary Fisher Nirvana with a Surly rigid fork and I'm very happy. I enjoy the ride much more (90% pavement) and it saved me 3.5 lbs..
Old 05-18-21, 11:03 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by MAK
If you decide on a rigid fork, there are a number of options available on the Surly site. I replaced a horrible suspension fork on my Gary Fisher Nirvana with a Surly rigid fork and I'm very happy. I enjoy the ride much more (90% pavement) and it saved me 3.5 lbs..
The only forks I see that have v brake posts are the Troll and Big Dummy forks. The axle/crown height is too tall, though.

However!!

I just happened to find an ebay seller out of Taiwan (after my first post) that carried a few remaining Suntour forks...one that I'd actually seen and wanted a few years ago when I'd started looking for a replacement, but cost too much at that time. And, I just got the last one he had....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26208683253...9bcf0691e0677c

Stroke of luck for me, I guess. It's not tuneable that I can tell, but the important lock out is there. And, it seems pretty good quality

That wraps up my search, then....lol! Thanks???
Old 05-19-21, 05:04 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
It's not tuneable that I can tell...
I'll bet there's a preload adjuster under the stanchion cap on the left side. My Giant Roam's Suntour NEX fork was like that. Pry the cap off with a thin blade screwdriver and there's the preload adjuster, ready to go. Now, of course, you're not going to achieve much of a "tuning" difference with preload adjustment on a single coil fork like that, but it's at least something.
Old 05-19-21, 09:36 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'll bet there's a preload adjuster under the stanchion cap on the left side. My Giant Roam's Suntour NEX fork was like that. Pry the cap off with a thin blade screwdriver and there's the preload adjuster, ready to go. Now, of course, you're not going to achieve much of a "tuning" difference with preload adjustment on a single coil fork like that, but it's at least something.
Righto! Something is better than nothing I still have a couple of Marzocchi forks from the 90's; an air/oil XC-51 and a Bomber Z2. Neither were all that tuneable, either
It'll be a little while for the SR to make it's way from Taiwan, but I'll certainly look for that when it does get here. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-19-21, 01:34 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
The only forks I see that have v brake posts are the Troll and Big Dummy forks. The axle/crown height is too tall, though.
What about Cross-Check: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=57049

This one as well: https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...2&category=975 but the declared tire clearance is 40mm.
Old 05-19-21, 07:58 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by csport
What about Cross-Check: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=57049

This one as well: https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...2&category=975 but the declared tire clearance is 40mm.
neither are quite tall enough to keep the geometry correct. that soma fork is quite nice, though. and, pricey! surely worth it, but i only paid $15 for the bike...haha