Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

GRX upgrade question

Old 02-09-21, 05:05 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
GRX upgrade question

A friend of mine is running Shimano Tiagra 2X, 10-speed, hydraulic. She wants to upgrade to 11-speed. She already has an 11-speed cassette. So she needs to get 11-speed: rear derailleur, chain and hydro levers.
She was thinking of going with GRX 600 levers - will these be compatible with the Tiagra front derailleur and Tiagra brake calipers?
Old 02-09-21, 07:56 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
The Tiagra calipers are compatible with pretty much any current gen Shimano road lever, GRX included. The Tiagra FD is compatible with any crank that has a "normal" q-factor, i.e. not the GRX cranks that are slightly wider. The Tiagra FD doesn't use the newer cage though (whatever Shimano calls it), so it will be a little harder to pull than a GRX / Ultegra / 105 that does have the newer cage.

I gotta ask though, given how hard GRX parts are to get right now (even at retail prices), how much of an upgrade is this if she already has Tiagra hydraulic levers? I would just do a partial upgrade keeping the Tiagra levers and brakes, and use the 10 speed GRX RD, FD, crank, and an 11-34/36 cassette if needed. That's pretty much the full 10 speed GRX groupset, except the brake levers don't have texturing, and say Tiagra.
Old 02-09-21, 08:56 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
A friend of mine is running Shimano Tiagra 2X, 10-speed, hydraulic. She wants to upgrade to 11-speed. She already has an 11-speed cassette. So she needs to get 11-speed: rear derailleur, chain and hydro levers.
She might not need a new rear derailleur. Ever since Tiagra 4700 launched in 2015, Shimano's 10-speed road components were changed to use the same rear derailleur pull ratio as their 11-speed road components. In this context, "road" includes GRX: one of my friends has a gravel bike that came with an 11-speed 105 groupset, but when a mishap resulted in destruction of the rear derailleur, he replaced it with an RD-RX400 from the 10-speed GRX400 groupset. It works great.

She was thinking of going with GRX 600 levers - will these be compatible with the Tiagra front derailleur
I *think* 4700 front derailleurs are designed to be pull-compatible with the 11-speed derailleurs. But it's annoyingly difficult to search solid information about this.

Alternately, you could just get an 11-speed road right shifter and keep the 4700 rear shifter.

and Tiagra brake calipers?
Yes.
Old 02-09-21, 10:01 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
She might not need a new rear derailleur. Ever since Tiagra 4700 launched in 2015, Shimano's 10-speed road components were changed to use the same rear derailleur pull ratio as their 11-speed road components. In this context, "road" includes GRX: one of my friends has a gravel bike that came with an 11-speed 105 groupset, but when a mishap resulted in destruction of the rear derailleur, he replaced it with an RD-RX400 from the 10-speed GRX400 groupset. It works great.

I *think* 4700 front derailleurs are designed to be pull-compatible with the 11-speed derailleurs. But it's annoyingly difficult to search solid information about this.

Alternately, you could just get an 11-speed road right shifter and keep the 4700 rear shifter.

Yes.
The Tiagra front der was redesigned and made to match the higher end stuff. Wish I'd known about the q-factor aspect. I do have them working with a Sram XO crankset but in hindsight, since I had to buy a new der anyways I should have bought the grx.

Really for this upgrade all that is needed is the cassette and chain, as others mentioned the rear der and brakes are compatible. Personally I wouldn't bother with the cost for one extra gear if its already a hydraulic setup as well. I'd like to get the hydraulic levers for my wife and if I do I probably won't concern myself with 11sp unless the levers are a bargain.
Old 02-14-21, 01:44 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
This doesn't seem like much of an upgrade unless her current Tiagra stuff is completely worn out.
Likes For shoota:
Old 02-15-21, 04:02 PM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Pretty big expense for what you are gaining. Maybe a different bike is in order?
Old 02-15-21, 04:52 PM
tdilf

This is a carbon frame Specialized Diverge - so good platform to upgrade and fits her well. A bunch of small reasons for the upgrade: gaining another gear, getting GRX ergonomics in the levers, gaining a little more of a climbing gear (going from 34t to 36t sprocket on rear cassette), opportunity to have oil slick cassette and chain.
Old 06-03-21, 01:03 PM
Motorazr

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Diverge Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I'm sort of in this situation now myself. I'm wanting to upgrade a Tiagra 4700 front derailleur (braze-on) for a GRX 400 version. The Tiagra 4700 FD has a long lever arm which just barely clears a 38mm width tire on my Specialized Diverge. I'd like to upgrade both front and rear Tiagra derailleurs to GRX and thus gain a clutch mechanism in back and more tire-clearance up front.

The most obvious FD compatibility issue is that the chain line for GRX is 46mm whereas Tiagra was only 43.5mm. I'm not sure if one can overcome that difference using the Hi/Low adjustment screws. Also the Tiagra FD has a long lever arm that is absent on the GRX FD (for greater tire clearance) so I'm wondering if shift lever feel will suffer. Perhaps no one here has made this change (maybe because it's too problematic).
Old 06-03-21, 01:09 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
She was thinking of going with GRX 600 levers - will these be compatible with the Tiagra front derailleur and Tiagra brake calipers?
Why? Its really expensive and makes diddly difference.
Old 06-03-21, 02:46 PM
tdilf

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Why? Its really expensive and makes diddly difference.
see above
Old 06-04-21, 11:20 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
I would just get a rd-rx400 and a 10s 11-36 cassette. If need be a fc-rx600 crank and the matching fd-rx400 to get even lower gears. Much cheaper and compatible with the tiagra STI brifters.