Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

3x8/9 Crankset

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

3x8/9 Crankset

Old 06-05-21, 03:53 AM
gellybellyman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3x8/9 Crankset

Can the 48/38/28, spec'ed by Shimano to be paired with 8-speed cassettes, work with a 9-speed cassette? I'm looking at an Altus FD-RD to make the system work. Will the 2 teeth difference in both mid and small chainrings matter? TIA!
Old 06-05-21, 06:03 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by gellybellyman
Can the 48/38/28, spec'ed by Shimano to be paired with 8-speed cassettes, work with a 9-speed cassette? I'm looking at an Altus FD-RD to make the system work. Will the 2 teeth difference in both mid and small chainrings matter? TIA!
8 and 9 speed triple cranks and chainrings are so close as to be essentially interchangeable. Same with the front derailleur. I done it plenty of times.

You will need a 9 speed chain to work with the 9 speed cassette.

I assume it goes without saying that you will need 9 speed rear shifter as well.

Also, you can ise an 8 speed RD with a 9 speed shifter and cassette as long as the largest cog is not too big.

Google Park Tools instructions for how to determine the proper chain length.
Old 06-05-21, 06:21 AM
gellybellyman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a relief! I ordered online the 48/36/26 crankset but sent me the 48/38/28 version instead and I don't want to go through the hassle of return shipping. Yup, the 3x9 Shimano parts compatibility recommendations will be followed. Thanks very much for the response!