Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

GRX400 - Chains/Cassettes

Old 06-08-21, 01:57 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
GRX400 - Chains/Cassettes

I have GRX400 group on my gravel bike.

When the LBS built up my bike, they put on a CN-4601 chain and CS-HG500-10 cassette (I believe these are both Tiagra). On the box of the chain it specifically says Tiagra. The box of cassette does not, but appears to be from a search online.

On the shimano GRX400 site (GRX400) they list only the CN-HG54 chain (Deore), and list the Tiagra cassette above as well as the CS-HG50-10 (Deore). Why would they not list both chains?

I've also read on their site that GRX400 is compatible with Shimano 10-sp road components (what about mtb?).

So I was wondering if you can mix-match:

- lets say my chain is stretched and needing to be replaced, but the cassette is fine, can I put a Deore chain on with a Tiagra cassette?
- can I run a tiagra chain with a Deore cassette?
- as I'm currently running Tiagra chain/cassette and it works fine, what about Deore chain/cassette?
- lastly, if I wanted to swap a cassette to get more range (largest sprocket from 32 to 34, or from 34 to 36), but the chain on there is fine, would the chain that was sized for a 2 fewer teeth be okay, or would it be too tight?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-21, 06:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Its a chain- any 10sp chain works. Shimano, KMC, SRAM, etc.
No idea why Shimano's website didnt list everything, but its the Shimano website...its never exactly been gushing with info.
A current chain is most likely fine when 2 more cogs are added to the back of a road drivetrain, but the only way to know is to wrap the chain and see. Itll for sure operate just fine when used properly- meaning no big ring and big cog.
Likes For mstateglfr: