Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 11:28 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by minder02
Thank you but I cancelled the DS1 and bought a Venzo Traveler (an almost identical copy of the Trek 920)
Buen viaje, enjoy your new bike, and will we hear about your Patagonia trip anywhere on these fora or elsewhere? Gracias.
Likes For BiciMan:
Old 04-06-21, 01:50 PM
minder02

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Muchas gracias a ti! Thank you! I'll post some photos!
Likes For minder02:
Old 04-10-21, 11:22 AM
FireFeature
Cyclepath

Bikes: Trek Road, Diamondback Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone!

Last week I managed to find a DS4. It has Bontrager Affinity Disc TLR wheels, which seem pretty nice, but for some reason it came with Bontrager GR1 Expert tires, which are not TLR. Can anyone provide a recommendation for some great TLR pairings for this wheel?

I do a 50/50 split of riding on paved asphalt trails and crushed limestone trails. I think the current tire is 700x40c, which seems like a nice size but I'm not necessarily married to that width, and I'm running them a little soft right now at about 60 psi. I don't think I'd go much softer than that, as I have plenty of grip and comfort for the trails I ride. My main concern is tire quality and flat protection.

I would be extremely grateful for any and all recommendations!
Old 04-10-21, 03:42 PM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FireFeature
Hey everyone!

Last week I managed to find a DS4. It has Bontrager Affinity Disc TLR wheels, which seem pretty nice, but for some reason it came with Bontrager GR1 Expert tires, which are not TLR. Can anyone provide a recommendation for some great TLR pairings for this wheel?

I do a 50/50 split of riding on paved asphalt trails and crushed limestone trails. I think the current tire is 700x40c, which seems like a nice size but I'm not necessarily married to that width, and I'm running them a little soft right now at about 60 psi. I don't think I'd go much softer than that, as I have plenty of grip and comfort for the trails I ride. My main concern is tire quality and flat protection.

Consider something like the Specialized Pathfinder Pro 42's or WTB Byway 40's.
Old 04-10-21, 10:40 PM
FireFeature
Cyclepath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Karmajack
Consider something like the Specialized Pathfinder Pro 42's or WTB Byway 40's.
Thanks, Karmajack, these both look like a perfect blend of what I'm after! I'm not super familiar with WTB as a company. Does either one of these brands have an advantage over the other? I don't see the Pathfinder Pro in a 40 (probably hence the 42 suffix), so I'm wondering if the Byway gets me a pretty much perfect fit...
Old 04-11-21, 06:35 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
WTB has been in the mountain bike game for several decades now and have recently gotten into the "gravel" market as well. Though I've not owned the Byways, I have several sets of WTB Nano tires and I wouldn't have any hesitation at all with buying another WTB tire.
Old 04-11-21, 10:46 PM
FireFeature
Cyclepath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
WTB has been in the mountain bike game for several decades now and have recently gotten into the "gravel" market as well. Though I've not owned the Byways, I have several sets of WTB Nano tires and I wouldn't have any hesitation at all with buying another WTB tire.
Great, thanks for the confidence. I think I will grab a pair. Thanks all!
Old 04-18-21, 10:16 PM
wkc

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 105 2016, Trek DS 8.5 2015, ProAce (1986?)

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
DS newbie

Originally Posted by steve_cay
Lots of good info on the versatile Trek DS posted here and there on this forum! But like Sunsanvil suggested in another thread, it is "time for an unofficial DS owners thread. "
And I have assumed that this thread is for new and used DS owners and riders. 🙃

I bought a used DS 8.5 2015 a few weeks ago, paid about 1/4 of the original retail price and I’m loving it...after adjusting cockpit/brake and gear lever position, and some basic maintenance. The seller had not serviced it at all. The chain was totally clean of dirt and grime — it was so dry that *nothing* was stuck on it or the cogs!

So, I’ve topped up lubed the drivetrain, brake fluid, adjusted the brake pads and pistons, trued the wheels, and adjusted the limit screws. Then, I gave it a wash and quick polish. Followed this up with a touch of “paint“; mixed up two bottles of nail polish (unused bottles from my daughters) to get a close match of colour and metallic “sparkles”.

To do: maybe chain replacement, definitely BB service (at LBS), maybe more paint and polish, replace torn seat, install pannier racks.

It’s an easy and fun bike to ride. I couldn’t be more happy. The Deore gear ratio is wide, so flexible and pretty precise (not as good as the 105 on my RR but pretty good). The front Suntour NRX suspension is a bonus for a bit of off-roading and local street speed bumps.

So happy to join this forum/thread.

I was considering MTB vs Hybrid, and then Trek FX vs DS. The front suspension with remote lockout is just a brilliant solution to my dilemma. A MTB with rear suspension would have been an overkill as I don’t ride MTB trails and I don’t do jumps or acrobatics. Mostly groomed/graded trails and a little bit off-trail (5%??? of my mileage). Also, MTBs tend not to have lugs and points for mounting pannier racks.
Old 04-19-21, 12:24 AM
wkc

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shakyfromwakey
A few upgrades to the 8.5ds.
Is that a 2015 model? Per my post, I bought one almost exact same colour, decals as yours and seller told me 2014 but from what I could find, I think it’s actually 2015.

Yours looks nice.
Old 04-19-21, 12:29 AM
wkc

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shakyfromwakey
. Anyway a picture of just the bike which is finished of upgrades.
I like your new crankset. Definitely looks nicer than the all black FSA on mine. I assume the black FSA was stock standard.

I’m hearing/feeling some issues with BB, so I may follow your lead and replace crank set and BB. 👏👍👏 Will discuss with LBS.
Old 05-08-21, 03:01 PM
Gianlucahead

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maxxis race TT

I honestly think that stock tyres are really cheap and low quality, especially considering I managed to get a flat after the first few miles from the shop.

I strongly recommend Maxxis 29 x 2.0 Race TT. I love them on my Ds2, they are incredibly strong but fast rolling at the same time!

Originally Posted by FireFeature
Hey everyone!

Last week I managed to find a DS4. It has Bontrager Affinity Disc TLR wheels, which seem pretty nice, but for some reason it came with GR1 Expert tires, which are not TLR. Can anyone provide a recommendation for some great TLR pairings for this wheel?

Old 05-08-21, 03:07 PM
Durde_cecof

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just swapped my tires out for Schwalbe Marathons and love them.

Last edited by Durde_cecof; 05-15-21 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-09-21, 12:18 AM
Gianlucahead

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am glad to read you enjoy your Ds! I actually do some MTBiking with mine! But after having upgraded to 29x2.0 tyres from maxxis. Now as I am gaining confidence I was wondering if would be the case of changing suspension fork, check iut some of my riding😂👌🏼

Originally Posted by wkc
And I have assumed that this thread is for new and used DS owners and riders. 🙃

I bought a used DS 8.5 2015 a few weeks ago, paid about 1/4 of the original retail price and I’m loving it...after adjusting cockpit/brake and gear lever position, and some basic maintenance. The seller had not serviced it at all. The chain was totally clean of dirt and grime — it was so dry that *nothing* was stuck on it or the cogs!

So, I’ve topped up lubed the drivetrain, brake fluid, adjusted the brake pads and pistons, trued the wheels, and adjusted the limit screws. Then, I gave it a wash and quick polish. Followed this up with a touch of “paint“; mixed up two bottles of nail polish (unused bottles from my daughters) to get a close match of colour and metallic “sparkles”.

To do: maybe chain replacement, definitely BB service (at LBS), maybe more paint and polish, replace torn seat, install pannier racks.

It’s an easy and fun bike to ride. I couldn’t be more happy. The Deore gear ratio is wide, so flexible and pretty precise (not as good as the 105 on my RR but pretty good). The front Suntour NRX suspension is a bonus for a bit of off-roading and local street speed bumps.

So happy to join this forum/thread.

I was considering MTB vs Hybrid, and then Trek FX vs DS. The front suspension with remote lockout is just a brilliant solution to my dilemma. A MTB with rear suspension would have been an overkill as I don’t ride MTB trails and I don’t do jumps or acrobatics. Mostly groomed/graded trails and a little bit off-trail (5%??? of my mileage). Also, MTBs tend not to have lugs and points for mounting pannier racks.
Likes For Gianlucahead:
Old 05-31-21, 04:54 PM
qrtzoj

Bikes: Dual Sport 3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Lancaster County NW River Trail NEW EXTENSION (PA)

Normally the ride from Columbia, Pa to Bainbridge is 11 miles of paved path and then you could go a mile or two more on an unofficial gravel trail. However, the county has now paved and officially opened that section for a total of 3.5 additional miles, ending at the Falmouth boat launch, just off of Rt. 441/River Rd. Had a very pleasant ride on it today, a most perfect Memorial Day outing. There were lots of other folks enjoying the trail too but overall it wasn't too crowded.

On an unrelated note, why do some people on the trail feel that they need to make their musical preferences known to everyone who passes by them? There was one biking guy today that I passed who really had it cranked up. Can't those people just use earbuds? Call me a cranky boomer but I'd just rather hear the natural sounds around me.

Old 06-11-21, 07:33 PM
Durde_cecof

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qrtzoj

On an unrelated note, why do some people on the trail feel that they need to make their musical preferences known to everyone who passes by them? There was one biking guy today that I passed who really had it cranked up. Can't those people just use earbuds? Call me a cranky boomer but I'd just rather hear the natural sounds around me.
I am totally guilty of this. I listen to my music with a speaker for 2 reasons. I can still hear what's going on around me, and I don't have to keep yelling "ON YOUR LEFT!" all the time. Now they hear me coming?
Old 07-23-21, 07:58 AM
Sturnage 

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale F8, 1995 Trek Mountain Track 820, 2012 Trek Fisher 8.2 DS, Colnago Dream (gift from father, year unknown).

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
8.2 DS 2012 Question

Hey guys. I’m new at this, so I apologize if it’s a ridiculous question. I have one 2012 8.2 that’s very clean but too big (21”), and another that’s my size (17.5”) with some heavily worn components. I’ve been looking for specs to see if I can switch out the components and if any switches would require that I purchase new parts. I won’t know until I actually break the 17.5” down how much will actually need to be replaced. Thanks!
Old 07-23-21, 08:18 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sturnage
Hey guys. I’m new at this, so I apologize if it’s a ridiculous question. I have one 2012 8.2 that’s very clean but too big (21”), and another that’s my size (17.5”) with some heavily worn components. I’ve been looking for specs to see if I can switch out the components and if any switches would require that I purchase new parts. I won’t know until I actually break the 17.5” down how much will actually need to be replaced. Thanks!
Sure : Components have nothing to do with the size of the bike as a general rule . Is it the same number of gears ? There's no reason I can thing of .
Old 07-23-21, 08:22 AM
Sturnage 

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale F8, 1995 Trek Mountain Track 820, 2012 Trek Fisher 8.2 DS, Colnago Dream (gift from father, year unknown).

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
8.2 DS 2012 Question

Everything appears to be exactly the same. Thank you!
Old 07-23-21, 08:53 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sturnage
Everything appears to be exactly the same. Thank you!
Yeah it can be changed and used. Even if it wasn't exact. You should change out the chainrings along with the rear cassette ETC. Should be pretty straight forward. You might even be able to use the same wheels if they are the same size or close . Usually if it's the same bike in a smaller frame . It's GTG
Likes For Rick53:
Old 07-29-21, 01:45 PM
Antonious

Bikes: '15 Trek DS 8.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikepacking

I’ve had my DS 8.4 since ‘15. Have recently been intrigued by the bikepacking scene and was wondering if anyone uses their DS for for it. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-21, 04:39 PM
wkc

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Finally!

Originally Posted by Gianlucahead
I am glad to read you enjoy your Ds! I actually do some MTBiking with mine!.....
I now enough posts to post a picture! Here’s my beauty.

Added rear rack for convenience.
Likes For wkc:
Old 07-29-21, 04:40 PM
wkc

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Antonious
I’ve had my DS 8.4 since ‘15. Have recently been intrigued by the bikepacking scene and was wondering if anyone uses their DS for for it. Thanks in advance.
I’m new to the “off road” scene myself and like you, hope to do some bike packing. I look forward to any replies you receive.
Old 07-29-21, 07:04 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Antonious
The Touring subforum may be a good place to ask (though they likely do have more of a focus on traditional touring). They'll likely say that the most important thing to do is to just get out there and start doing it. A lot is made of the right gear and this and that, and it's certainly good to have good stuff, but I think most will advocate with taking the equipment you have (bike, packs, tent, etc.) and start with small trips and build from there. The DS may be a good platform to start with or you may find you want to change some things up (perhaps even enough to where a different bike is justified). Some of that will probably depend on the type of terrain you expect to ride. The DS comes with 38mm tires, though it can support wider. If you're truly out overlanding with your bike, larger tires may be a good idea. To reduce the chances of equipment failure, a rigid fork may be a good idea. Some of that may depend on how far you'll be from civilization or how close you'll be to tools and repair facilities.

I bet the folks in the Touring subforum will have some good input on this.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-01-21, 06:45 PM
Antonious

Bikes: '15 Trek DS 8.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice hokiefyd. Rail trails, dirt roads and the like are the majority of what I’d want my tires on. I’ve been on paths where full-on mountain bikes normally go and I’m glad to know my DS can handle them. I will check out the Touring si forum for sure, thank you!
Old 08-27-21, 09:29 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Hey folks. Been a while.

EDIT - received the 830 and tried the included mount - seems to work okay with the exiting Blendr mounted Trip100. I'm still interested in hearing if anyone's found mounting solutions they liked better. Thanks.

Original:
Any recommendations for mounting a Garmin Edge 530 or 830 on an 8.6 DS (2016)?

Outfront mount vs MTB mount vs the Blendr mount? Something else?

I'd sorta like to keep the existing Bontrager Trip 100 for when I don't want to mess with the Garmin, but it seems the usual Garmin mounting would interfere with where it sits on its little Blendr mount. Maybe move the Trip100 to a handlebar mount for when I'll just have that?

All input appreciated!

Last edited by gpburdell; 08-31-21 at 01:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.