Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Giro on GCN+ in USA not loading?!?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-21, 09:31 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22599 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts

Today I can't load the Giro. Has been fine up until now. Anyone else have this problem? I tried on both my computer and iPhone.
Old 05-14-21, 10:37 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
No problem here on iPhone or MacBook Pro
Old 05-14-21, 11:56 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I sent a complaint. They said there were technical issues that have been fixed.
Old 05-14-21, 11:59 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I didn't have a problem, but I noticed Cycling News had been glitchy the last couple days. Wonder if there's something glitching for all of Europe to US.
Old 05-17-21, 07:49 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I was having issues yesterday with buffering. The wheel just kept spinning when I first played the replay. I was having audio issues as well, mostly when Sean Kelley was speaking. It seems the Irish to English translation module on the website was malfunctioning. I couldn't understand a word he was saying.
Likes For Snotrub:
Old 05-17-21, 10:15 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
^ between Sean Kelly and Brian Smith they lay it on pretty thick. They make Rob Hatch sound almost BBC English standard despite his flair with the Belgian names. I may have to watch The Commitments and Local Hero again to retune my ear.

In the spring classics, Rob rolls a bit like cycling's answer to NPR's Sylvia Pojoli (sp?). Or these guys:

Likes For slcbob:
Old 05-17-21, 11:13 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Speaking of the Irish and GCN, I'm too lazy to go back to the earliest introduction videos with Conor Dunne, but I could've sworn his accent was quite noticeable but quickly became erased to sound more like received pronunciation. It's odd when he talks to other Irish people in videos, because I really expect him to lay on the brogue.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-17-21, 02:14 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
I may go back to hunt for that. The O'Donovans from the Rio Olympics are silver medalists but pure Gold. They can probably spell RP but would never let you know it. I've got several good friends from the old sod who dial it up and back depending on context.

Old 05-19-21, 02:26 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
I just got the GCN+ app a couple of weeks ago, for the Giro, and have been very happy with it except as noted below. I was pleasantly surprised that I could cast directly from my iPhone to my Sony TV, which is a XBR-49X900F from 2018. I figured I'd have to go through my AppleTV, since the TV doesn't do Airplay. Yet on GCN's 'RaceTV' there are two little icons for casting and both work.

The problem I am having is that I can't reliably switch from one program to another in RaceTV. When you go to RaceTV, there are tabs for all the different races, right? So I click on 'Giro Stage X, with Live Show' which brings me to a page with that race, which immediately starts playing on the app. And I cast that, because we like the pre-race chatter. But then we want to watch the highlights (the long highlights of course!) rather than the whole race, and I have a heck of a time getting the latter to stop playing and the highlights to play instead. I 'stop casting' on the whole race, open the highlights, press the cast icon, and...it's back to the whole race. Takes several tries to get the switch made. I have a query in and got a response but it was not real helpful.

And in general...the coverage and commentary are great, head and shoulders above what we're used to from NBCSports. I'm not a super-critical fan and won't diss our homegrown commentators, they're doing the best they can, but I really don't need Bobke to tell me what an echelon is, ever again. As a host, Orla Chennaoui is excellent, quick witted and utterly at ease with the subject.

Another slight problem I do have with the coverage is that when Sean Kelly is talking, it's quite difficult to hear him as my wife can't stop laughing.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 05-19-21 at 04:26 PM.