Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Planet X Fat Baz Seat Post Advice

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 01:33 AM
Firstthebanker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm after a bit of advice. I recently purchased a Planet X Fat Baz mountain bike. I used the sellers description to determine the size I needed, and as im 5ft 11 went for a large, the size given was 5ft8 to 6ft2 so figured that would be perfect. I got the bike and I thought I needed to drop the seat by 2 or 3 inches, but wouldnt go down.

I contacted the seller and he just said the seat post cannot go any lower as it's a "dropper" I have absolutely no idea what that is. I don't really want to go through the grief of sending it back so was hoping for a solution, can anyone help with some advice please?

Thank you
Rainer

Last edited by Firstthebanker; 05-22-21 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-22-21, 03:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
So a dropper post is designed to get the saddle out of the way for obstacles or descents or if you like climbing out of the saddle and need it out of the way and can also be handy when you have to ride on the pavement to the trailhead and need to make stops in traffic. I love mine and wouldn't want to get rid of it. I fear that you might have the wrong size bike if you have the dropper slammed down and still need more space. You can likely swap to a rigid seatpost but if you have to go way down again the bike is probably the wrong size. I would probably send it back and go to a proper shop and test ride some bikes. Yes you may need to up the budget but with what they give you on that bike, it wouldn't be terrible. When you add more to a bike the price goes up or the quality goes down. Since S, M, L, XL mean nothing and have no standardization and the online sellers of bikes can really only give some approximations solely based on height rather than taking in to account inseam, reach and other useful factors, you are better of trying some stuff.

Here is more info on dropper posts:
https://www.pnwcomponents.com/blogs/...a-dropper-post