Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 12-06-08, 08:54 AM
nine14six

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like could take all of one's natural life to go through all that stuff. Cool score.
Old 12-06-08, 08:57 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Ha, tire savers galore...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 12-06-08, 08:59 AM
Cycle Snack

Bikes: Quiring Qball 29er, Iron Horse MKIII, Mongoose Switchback, Fetish Fixation, Bridgestone MB-5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy cow! That's awesome! What a treasure trove!
Old 12-06-08, 09:01 AM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
wow!
Old 12-06-08, 09:10 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 44 Posts
It was all going to be thrown away,I also got 3 nice bikes from the neighbors,a Dyno GT,a girls Giant and a new looking girls Magna.

This was just one load I still have to go back after I make some room
He also gave me all of his tools in which I am going to clean his garage up to find them.
He is 86 years old and out and about everyday he is a wealth of knowledge as he is still sharp
and hangs out at the airport helping build planes,and has one of his own but can't fly anymore,and thats how I meet him I fixed a motor in one of his planes,he is one of nicest people on the planet.
Old 12-06-08, 09:17 AM
neil thiessen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You sir, have found the end of the rainbow!
Old 12-06-08, 09:25 AM
Cycle Snack

Bikes: Quiring Qball 29er, Iron Horse MKIII, Mongoose Switchback, Fetish Fixation, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's terribly short notice and I am sure there might be a local organization close by that rebuilds bikes for kids but this treasure trove would be worth donating to some organization that rebuilds bikes for kids.
Old 12-06-08, 09:38 AM
Glennfordx4

This is going to be a project trying to make space for it as I was out of room from my own parts(lawnmower and chainsaws and bike). The sad part is that a lot of stuff is so rusty it can't be used like all the steel wheels that were hanging in the sheds and most were made in Italy,the pics of the wheels outside are so rusty and he laced them all as he built all his own wheels,I have some new front drum brakes that he laced into 24" wheels that I will remove. There is a bunch of Nishiki high flanged hubs also some brand new others on rusty wheels,there were 17 alloy rear racks and 30 to 40 sets of pedals and every bit of little hardware you can think of. Alot of the parts are Royal Enfield or Joannou(Jamis) and a lot of parts were for 3 speed bikes,I have a lot of freewheels and everything to build my own wheel sets for older bikes just need rims.
One thing that I am going to put to use right away is the Fox bicycle motor as it is complete and MR.Harris told me the whole story about it and it has less then 12 miles on it,it came with the title, tools and owners manual. I will get some more photos when I have it sorted better and get the rest.
Old 12-06-08, 10:31 AM
Gordo Grande

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love that old truing stand...looks like VAR possibly
Old 12-06-08, 10:32 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Craigslist freebie. A retired bus driver was unloading bikes that she had collected from the unclaimed lost and found at her work. This Raliegh Retro-glide wasn't in to bad of shape. Going off to college tomorrow with buddies son.
Old 12-06-08, 04:06 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Check out the pedals, yes even the cheap y looking rubber block ones. Some of those look like balloon tire holy grails. Don't let em go for cheap!.

Could I bother you for 5 sets of tire savers? I have at least that many bikes that had them when found, but the rubber was too bad to reuse. And what brand are those leather saddles? NNew Pletscher racks in the bag?? Man you hit a gold mine there!,,,,BD
Old 12-06-08, 09:30 PM
xiamsammyx
Harbinger

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy, Old Araya fixed conversion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
If youre looking to share the love i'd love to take that frame off of your hands and would be more than willing to pay for the shipping to get it here.
Old 12-07-08, 04:41 AM
cal_blam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my catch of the day - roadside rescue

Picked this freebie up at the side of the road today - was cruising for bikes as as council is doing hard rubbish collection tomorrow, and have hit paydirt. Its steel, its heavy, but its kinda cool too.

https://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...l_blam/oxford/

Its an "Oxford International", can't find out anything about it yet but have asked on a local site to try and find out some more. I think maybe its an old touring bike.

Already have a flat bar commuting singlespeed, this could be a nice townie. Any suggestions?
Old 12-07-08, 05:54 AM
Cycle Snack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cal_blam
Its an "Oxford International", can't find out anything about it yet but have asked on a local site to try and find out some more. I think maybe its an old touring bike.

Already have a flat bar commuting singlespeed, this could be a nice townie. Any suggestions?
Love those lugs. My philosophy is to first determine it's worth and then figure out what to do with it. It it's entirely original and can be cleaned up, then you might find a collector that wants it, other wise I would convert it to an SS/Fixer.
Old 12-07-08, 06:28 AM
Glennfordx4

Originally Posted by xiamsammyx
If youre looking to share the love i'd love to take that frame off of your hands and would be more than willing to pay for the shipping to get it here.
The frame is mine it is a Royce Union made in Holland and a lot of what I picked up is going to help bring it to life as a custom,I am going to get it painted to match my mint 1993 Ford Eddie Bauer Bronco a dark metalic jade green and tan. I was trying to get a shot of the NOS chrome chain guard and the box of parts under it and the new tange bb cups that were on it.I am trying to find a springer front end for it as the forks were bent bad,I want to use one of the drum brake setups that I got for it in the front also I just haven't decided what I want to do for a rear wheel I was thinking 3 speed hub with as wide of a 26" rim that I could fit but I might go with a 5 speed freewheel setup too just don't know.I saved this from my best friends kid who painted the whole thing(tires included) red and it has at least 6 coats of other colors on it too,I can't tell you how much time I have stripping paint off of it and I am almost done. I fell in love with it as soon as I layed eyes on it 4 years ago and have been collecting bits and pieces for it.

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 12-07-08 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-07-08, 06:32 AM
cal_blam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Snack
Love those lugs. My philosophy is to first determine it's worth and then figure out what to do with it. It it's entirely original and can be cleaned up, then you might find a collector that wants it, other wise I would convert it to an SS/Fixer.
Agreed. Research so far suggests its no anything special, and yes the lugs are way nicer than my eighties Malvern Star (which btw I also found at the side of the road and have powdercoated and converted into a very nice commuter). So I think I will end up recoating this one and making a more cruisy pub/shop bike. Just been over the chrome with steel wool, its coming up ok.
Old 12-07-08, 07:11 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Originally Posted by cal_blam
Its an "Oxford International"...
Interesting placement of the brakes. Previous rider must have ridden in the drops all the time. What components does it have on it?

Old 12-07-08, 07:33 AM
Glennfordx4

Originally Posted by Bikedued
Check out the pedals, yes even the cheap y looking rubber block ones. Some of those look like balloon tire holy grails. Don't let em go for cheap!.

Could I bother you for 5 sets of tire savers? I have at least that many bikes that had them when found, but the rubber was too bad to reuse. And what brand are those leather saddles? NNew Pletscher racks in the bag?? Man you hit a gold mine there!,,,,BD
I will check over the tire savers and see what kind of shape there in as I could use a bunch myself when I start working on my roadbike collection,if there is enough no problem. The leather saddles are Sadem and Wrights and one 3ttt,I was going to put 2 of the Sadem seats on ebay later today along with 4 racks and 2 sets of training wheels as I am really broke this year(but isn't everyone). I really don't want to sell this stuff as I like barter better plus I love reparing bikes so I will use a lot but I have so much that I don't think I will ever get it sorted LOL. The racks I have are 2 brands Nagacast and Koba from Japan with the Koba's being the better ones IMHO. I haven't even shown the brake sets I got or the boxes of new spokes that were there and the ton of NOS brake and shifter cables. I have bags of new center bolts for side pull brakes and a large bag of alloy center brake cable mounts. I have every part you could think of for 3 speed cables,and I mean everything,cable mounts,cable pulleys,cable chains and arms and shifters with or without cables. I also got about 50 spoke protectors/pie plates both metal and plastic in which I spent a bunch of money this spring for some. I am just like a kid in a candy store going thru this stuff. Did you see that Dana 3 speed unit that goes thru the BB and replaces the standard crank arm neat. sorry for rambling I am just happy to show people that care about this stuff as none of my friends are they think it is all junk until they ask me to repair there bike.
Old 12-07-08, 07:49 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Yep, I have one of those Dana's. Weird, ain't they?,,,,BD
Old 12-07-08, 09:04 AM
Cycle Snack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glennfordx4, if you are giving stuff away (I'll pay shipping of course) I'll take some bars. I was thinking those chopper style bars could be chopped into bullhorns. I have two sets right now that I am looking at trying.
Old 12-07-08, 10:58 AM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
I will check over the tire savers and see what kind of shape there in as I could use a bunch myself when I start working on my roadbike collection,if there is enough no problem. The leather saddles are Sadem and Wrights and one 3ttt,I was going to put 2 of the Sadem seats on ebay later today along with 4 racks and 2 sets of training wheels as I am really broke this year(but isn't everyone). I really don't want to sell this stuff as I like barter better plus I love reparing bikes so I will use a lot but I have so much that I don't think I will ever get it sorted LOL. The racks I have are 2 brands Nagacast and Koba from Japan with the Koba's being the better ones IMHO. I haven't even shown the brake sets I got or the boxes of new spokes that were there and the ton of NOS brake and shifter cables. I have bags of new center bolts for side pull brakes and a large bag of alloy center brake cable mounts. I have every part you could think of for 3 speed cables,and I mean everything,cable mounts,cable pulleys,cable chains and arms and shifters with or without cables. I also got about 50 spoke protectors/pie plates both metal and plastic in which I spent a bunch of money this spring for some. I am just like a kid in a candy store going thru this stuff. Did you see that Dana 3 speed unit that goes thru the BB and replaces the standard crank arm neat. sorry for rambling I am just happy to show people that care about this stuff as none of my friends are they think it is all junk until they ask me to repair there bike.
If you want to sell one of those racks (either brand), let me know.

Otherwise... awesome score! The shop I work for was sold last year (I was re-hired) and the new owners have been chucking stuff in the trash like crazy. I dig around and get it back out of the trash and take it home. Some ends up on eBay, but a lot of it just sits in my "Bike Cave" and waits for a good use for it to come up. Anyone need a 12" wheelset? LOL!
Old 12-07-08, 01:10 PM
cal_blam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Interesting placement of the brakes. Previous rider must have ridden in the drops all the time. What components does it have on it?
D Derailleur = dual cable Shimano "Positron"
F Derailleur = Shimano "Thunderbird"
Stem == "Ace"
(All sounds pretty amazing huh).
Weinmann brakes.
Old 12-07-08, 06:32 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
Saved this Raleigh from a pile of junk about 10 minutes before the garbage truck showed up. Hope the photo shows up. Nearly 40 years old. Needed TLC, but it a very nice riding bike. Just the right size, too! A shop would have had to charge a fortune to do everything it needed, but was/is a nice hobby project. Just finally got around to dismantling, cleaning & reassembling the entire bike...fresh grease & oil where needed. Everything nicely adjusted.
Old 12-07-08, 06:46 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
Second try at sending "saved" Raleigh photo
Old 12-07-08, 07:06 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Second try at sending "saved" Raleigh photo
Nice looking bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.