Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Any drawbacks with a women-style "step-through" frame?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Any drawbacks with a women-style "step-through" frame?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 04:19 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Danw
If you've ever mounted a bike with a rear mounted child seat you would appreciate a step through frame.

I don't buy the argument that any top tube will do anything for bottom bracket flex. Lateral flex is different from lineal
+1. Pulled a muscle in my back trying to get my leg over the top bar without kicking my kid. That's why I'd like a mixte. Can't find a 23" one, though.
Old 01-12-10, 04:22 PM
ScottCarney

Bikes: 2010 Davinci JointVenture, 1994 Specialized Epic Comp, 2007 Steelhead custom road bike, Surly CrossCheck, 1999 Kona MuniMula MtB, Wife:Civia commuter, Steelhead custom road, 1993 Marin Mtb Extracycle , Kids:Trek tag-along, Jet20, Trek830

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhodabike
Okay, I am definitely not letting my husband see this post.
I thought he was the king of bike acquisition, but he's not even in the running
Well, that includes a couple of bikes that are pretty much hers and have been accumulated over a coupe of decades. And I have only ever let two bikes that were once mine go to other homes. And I do a lot of housework as penance.

Old 01-12-10, 06:10 PM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gna
+1. Pulled a muscle in my back trying to get my leg over the top bar without kicking my kid. That's why I'd like a mixte. Can't find a 23" one, though.
The Soma mixte comes in sizes up to 58cm/22.83".
https://www.somafab.com/geometry03.html
Old 01-12-10, 06:55 PM
doglhunt
barkin' at the moon

Bikes: bianchi MTB,several old schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used an old women's frame middleweight cruiser as a paper route bike.It was easy just to lay it down and put the paper where the customer wanted it them just step over it,grab it and go.Alot easier than a"boy's" bike when you had to repeat the drill 30 times a day.Beat it hard and never had a problem.sold it to the kid who took over the route.I think he rode it for a few more years.
Old 01-12-10, 09:25 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by coolio
Your're Wrong. You've obviously never ridden with a kid (not cargo!) in the back like in pix 3-4 above. You'd appreciate the ability to load him/her up and quickly straddling the bike via the step through. Gotto go with Mr Danw on this one.
Did you read the part that I said that the inherent loss of stiffness in a step-through frame was unimportant? I've said three separate times in this thread that there's nothing wrong with step-through bikes and that I think that riding them is a fantastic idea. But, while the ability to mount a bike without kicking your child in the head makes a step-through the best choice for most people carry children in child seats, you are fooling yourself if you think it's not going to have a greater negative effect on the handling than it would on a similarly built full-diamond frame. What I said you were wrong about was the claim that step-through frames are not inherently less stiff than full-diamond frames. They absolutely are. And stiffer bikes handle better with heavy loads (and yes, children count as "heavy loads"), full stop. The question is whether you should care. The answer, under most circumstances is "probably not." This is a matter that can be compensated with by overbuilding anyway, so chances are that your ladies' bike is comparable in stiffness to similarly-designed mens' bikes.

Last edited by grolby; 01-12-10 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-12-10, 09:56 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
how is this thread still going with such vitriol? For a given stiffness, a step through frame will be slightly heavier. That's it.

The main thing I dislike about mixtes (only mixtes, other step throughs don't have this problem) is you have two choices of brakes (if you want to do it right) you can either mount a pair of Mafac centerpulls, or spring for a pair of Pauls. A mixte doesn't look right without the rear brake cable coming down between the two top tubes, attached to the straddle wire of a nice centerpull brake mounted on the middle stay. V-O almost has it

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2496213156_28c3c6fe7c.jpg (81.4 KB, 525 views)
Old 01-13-10, 10:43 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
The new V-O Mixte is supposed to come in larger size, too.

What I meant to say is I can't find a 23" mixte on my local Craigslist (I'm on a budget).
Old 07-04-18, 08:20 PM
anon29836425

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back Wheel Carries More Weight

I entered this thread looking for the answer to this. No one seems to have mentioned it. Step-throughs put massively more weight on the back wheel, its not even close. Its like 3 to 1. I kept breaking spokes on my back wheel but never my front so I got curious and weighed each wheel with me sitting on the bike. I tried posting a picture of each wheel but I guess this forum wont let me unless I make 10 posts. Its 183 pounds on the back wheel and 65 pounds on the front.

I did not measure a triangular frame but I would assume that front bar would help it spread out more evenly. As such, a triangular frame would likely have better weight distribution and reliability as far as spoke breakage goes.
Old 07-05-18, 09:10 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by anon29836425
I entered this thread looking for the answer to this. No one seems to have mentioned it. Step-throughs put massively more weight on the back wheel, its not even close. Its like 3 to 1. I kept breaking spokes on my back wheel but never my front so I got curious and weighed each wheel with me sitting on the bike. I tried posting a picture of each wheel but I guess this forum wont let me unless I make 10 posts. Its 183 pounds on the back wheel and 65 pounds on the front.

I did not measure a triangular frame but I would assume that front bar would help it spread out more evenly. As such, a triangular frame would likely have better weight distribution and reliability as far as spoke breakage goes.
This is the result of high handlebars with a short reach (distance between saddle and handlebar), not the ladies' style frame.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-30-18, 07:21 PM
Day6

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
This is the result of high handlebars with a short reach (distance between saddle and handlebar), not the ladies' style frame.
Exactly. I skipped a couple of pages on this thread cause of its age, so this may have been mentioned...the measurements on a mixte or "woman's" bicycle are slightly different. The seat tube angle is different to accommodate women's pelvic bone structure, and, for any given height, women tend to have longer legs and shorter torsos proportionately than men. So the distance between the seat and the stem is shorter on a woman's bike, while the seat height tends to be a little higher on average.
I'm a guy. I like my saddle high for good leg extension, and I sit more upright for comfort. I usually have to buy aftermarket seat posts for my men's bikes, and the handlebars are good. On the few women's bikes I've had, the stock seat post raised high enough but I had to change handlebars cause the stock ones felt like they were in my lap, even rotated forward.

Last edited by Day6; 07-30-18 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-30-18, 07:26 PM
Day6

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and all the comments in here about women's frames being inherently cheaper and of poorer quality than men's bikes is patently nonsense .The one I have now is a Trek hybrid, and it is a SWEET ride.
​​​​

Old 07-30-18, 07:41 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

No, but the longer distance to the head tube (on the men's frame) would put more weight to the front. It's also a matter of how much you're leaning, maybe more so than just the difference in "effective top tube".
Old 07-31-18, 01:09 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
A lot of Trek FX models are available as step-through, up through the FX 3. The women's diamond models are distinctly different geometry than the men's but the step-through are the same as the men's. Or at least they were a few years ago when I was shopping for a tug and kid seat rig.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-03-18, 10:40 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
No top tube = you can't straddle the bike between your legs when stopped and waiting for the lights to turn green or texting/reading email or holding a camera.
It is a pretty minimal drawback but real. The first day I rode my new Biria Easy Boarding 8 bike I stopped and the thing flopped right over. I was so used to the top tube hitting the inside of my thigh that I didn’t even think about it. Since my feet were in toe clips I think it made for a pretty comical scene. But I really like that bike. Just hop on and go, no excuses. And I even saw another one yesterday! He said he’d bought it in Florida.
Old 08-03-18, 06:44 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I find stepping-thru to be very awekward way to get on a bike.
I find it much efficient and graceful, to swing a leg over the saddle instead.
With a kid seat (or stoker handlebars, or a big tail bag) it becomes less John Wayne and more Walker, Texas Ranger
Old 08-03-18, 08:03 PM
kassit215

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only found them to be more comfortable and easier to ride. I always usta end up with men's bikes for some reason and since I switched I could never go back!
Old 08-04-18, 12:25 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I have had a few "step-thru". There were two that I would constant bang my knee into the frame while stepping-thru.
My knee got really bruised up after a while.

I find stepping-thru to be very awekward way to get on a bike.
I find it much efficient and graceful, to swing a leg over the saddle instead.

Unless there's some medical reason why you cannot swing a leg that high...I would avoid "step-thru".

Or I guess if you wear skirts frequently...but I don't see women rider wear skirt .
I have to say that's the first I've ever heard someone say that. Secret hint-you can swing your leg over a step thru too

This is my daily summer/winter commuter. 91 or 92 Trek Multi Track. Hi-Ten but surprisingly light. The low geared triple is great for hills and there's wheel clearance for fat gravel grinding tires if wanted. Shown are 38's. Also cheap enough not to worry unduly in regards to theft, sand or salt.

Old 08-07-18, 11:53 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I have an 80s Women's Gazelle. This bike has a 60 cm frame which works great for my size. I like the step through when running grocery trips with loaded baskets at the back or when pulling a trailer hauling groceries. This way I don't have to swing my legs over and don't have to watch my feet/legs hitting any of the groceries sticking out at the top. But when fully loaded the step through bikes flex a lot more than bikes with a top tube frame.
But last year I moved to an upright recumbent which has become my daily commuting bike.
Old 05-04-21, 09:52 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
So funny reading some of these comments from 10 years ago.....entertaining. Found this thread while googling Azor and figured why not bring it back from the dead?

For years I "got by" with an old english three speed but it was always a compromise. Not to mention too small. Used mainly to run errands around town.

Then I graduated to this crazy Trekking bike that once again was a compromise. Heck I ride road bikes every day and getting on this is a pain in the butt. Swinging the leg over the basket is not very easy nor stepping over the top tube. Even when you can tilt it. The add a load into the basket and it's even more of a chore not to spill stuff out when you try to get on.

So I figured it was time to get smart. Did a ton of research and settled on the custom build of an Azor bike with a step through frame. Once this baby is built and delivered I'll honestly post my thoughts on modern step through frames.

This is what I should have my hands on in a couple of months at most.

Old 05-09-21, 11:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@jamesdak, another option is swinging your leg over the handlebars. It's not necessarily easier.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-09-21, 03:23 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
@jamesdak, another option is swinging your leg over the handlebars. It's not necessarily easier.
Oh I know, but that's a good way for this old geezer to blow a groin muscle trying to get over and around those wide trekking bars. A step through is the real answer. Anything else is just silly when the right solution is available.
Old 05-09-21, 10:48 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamesdak

This is what I should have my hands on in a couple of months at most.

Very nice!! Now ten years later/older with a trailer in tow I am starting look at step-thrus again...
Old 05-10-21, 08:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

But then you need to sit on the handlebars and ride backward and that's a trick I never had the courage to try
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-14-21, 01:45 PM
CityCountry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you done this measurement on a different bicycle?
Old 05-14-21, 04:34 PM
Ciufalon

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
There are many videos on Youtube that talk about the benefits of step-through bikes for every day travel. Here are a couple
and
Noticed that all bike share bikes I've ever seen are step-through.
Likes For Ciufalon:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.