Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

A Little Hill Climbing with Fellow Clyde Hillbasher

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 08:21 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hillbasher and I up 39 to the Crystal Lake turnout. My first time up, ran out of water so I refused HB's offer to continue. Playing it safe! I'm not a sissy, just delicate!

Every so often HB would tell me that we were passed the tough part. Hmmm, it was the same all the way up! I don't trust that guy anymore!..It was a good fun ride though. Next time we will go further! Nice big clear roads, not traffic, roads closed! 3300ft of climbing today and a sign that I ate too many tamales over the holidays!

Old 01-06-10, 08:42 PM
adam_mac84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
makes me sad... i think my entire state has 500 feet of elevation change (michigan)
Old 01-06-10, 10:36 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
No hills? You're missing all the fun!...It got HOT today too! Very cool when we got to the mtns. But half a mile up, we couldn't tear off the layers fast enough.

Some pics from Hillbasher's camera!

Old 01-07-10, 05:14 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Someone just sent me a copy of the profile..average 6% for 11.5 miles

Old 01-07-10, 05:26 PM
kwduffy02

Bikes: 2000 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2008 Specialized Roubiax Elite, 1970's Murray 10 Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like fun, i wish we had nice weather like that here but at least it peaked at 12 degrees today with only 8 inches of snow last night hehe. Was thinking about getting the mountain bike out for some snow riding but realized the rear derailuer is still broken, so waiting for the new one to come in =)
Old 01-07-10, 05:41 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kwduffy02
Looks like fun, i wish we had nice weather like that here but at least it peaked at 12 degrees today with only 8 inches of snow last night hehe. Was thinking about getting the mountain bike out for some snow riding but realized the rear derailuer is still broken, so waiting for the new one to come in =)

Hey, single speed in the snow, sounds like a good workout!
Old 01-07-10, 06:18 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like fun. I can hardly wait until winter's over and the forest roads here become passable again. I'm smack dab in the middle of a 2.2 million acre forest and love exploring it on my bike. This year there's one particular mountain that I'd like to reach the peak of--I've only gotten about 1/2 the way up before my knees started bothering me. The frightening part is the descent. I may end up waking the bike down most of it.
Old 01-07-10, 06:24 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
Looks like fun. I can hardly wait until winter's over and the forest roads here become passable again. I'm smack dab in the middle of a 2.2 million acre forest and love exploring it on my bike. This year there's one particular mountain that I'd like to reach the peak of--I've only gotten about 1/2 the way up before my knees started bothering me. The frightening part is the descent. I may end up waking the bike down most of it.

Oh yeah, descents can be scary. The descent on this ride wasn't bad except that I was trying to video the ride. One one section at 35 mph, nice and steady but a bit scary. Another section I hit 40 behind my buddy and the bike started wobbling. That's when I decided I better use both hands!. Part of the reason the last couple of scenes were stopped as my partner rode by. He's doing 40 in the clips but doesn't look like it. But it sure feels like it with one hand and a camera!

There are a couple of climbs that I avoid because of the descent. Heck, not many rides here have tha ttype of climb anyways. Hope you have fun when the forest opens, I know I am!