Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

October in Dairyland: Spectacular!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 11:23 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

For some time now Michael from Chicago (aka Barretscv) and I have been trying to work out the logistics for a get together in southwest Wisconsin...the Dodgeville area, home of Land's End. We have a lot in common, having built very similar Pedal Force cross bikes, both in the 205+ weight category, interest in mechanical stuff and gearing, and indoor training etc.

Well, it finally came to pass this weekend and it was really a blast. Fantastic scenery, hills to climb and company and conversation as expected, which was good. Also really good food and nice places to eat abound there. This would be a great place for a regional 50+ gathering sometime. We only totaled just shy of 50 miles, but with 3000 feet of climbing, much of it pretty steep, that was a good ride for me. It left enough time to have a late lunch and drive six hours home to arrive at a reasonable hour.

Michael will add to this report soon, so I will leave some details for him to mop up, including our successful assault on Roberts Road. Here's a sample:

I forgot to mention... low traffic roads with generally smooth surfaces!
Strava Data Link

Last edited by billydonn; 04-24-13 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 11:47 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here's a couple more images... maybe if I post fewer they will be bigger?

Old 10-22-12, 11:57 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I enjoyed dining and cycling with Don and look forward meeting up there again next year. It started with a great dinner in Mineral Point, Wi on Saturday. Sunday morning was clear and crisp, but temperatures moved from a cool 40f to 60 by noon. We started in Dodgeville and traveled the rural roads of the kettle moraine region west of Madison, WI. It's ideal cycling terrain with a combination of scenic hills and short-but-steep climbs that provide a challenge.

We stopped for a little sight-seeing and picture taking as we traveled. We both managed to climb Roberts Road with it's sustained 17 to 20% slope. We finished on the Military Ridge Trail.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-22-12 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 11:59 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-22-12, 01:20 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Drat-if I had known I would maybe have invited myself along. Probably for the best that I didn't as I've not done a lot of hill work this summer past. You guys should check out the dairyland dare.
Old 10-22-12, 01:28 PM
El Segundo

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like a terrific ride, good report and great pictures.
Old 10-22-12, 05:26 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice report
Old 10-22-12, 05:44 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
That looks like a great area to ride!! I'd love to join some folks to do some riding up that way. Will have to check out the Dairyland Dare.

Don you look to be trimming up!!
Old 10-22-12, 07:28 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jppe
That looks like a great area to ride!! I'd love to join some folks to do some riding up that way. Will have to check out the Dairyland Dare.

Don you look to be trimming up!!
Joe, it's the kind of place you would love.... kind of like NC for scenery and hills but without the heat and humidity. Very low traffic but folks are used to seeing bikes about since it's near Madison and several bike events are held in the area. I am definitely going to try and go over there once a year or so.... hills are very motivating to drop more weight.

And thanks... yes I'm probably a little lighter than when you saw me, but the bigger change is in body composition... and fitness of course.

As long as I'm posting, here's a few more pics:

Old 10-22-12, 07:43 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Nice bit of country you found there fellas. Looks like a fantastic place to ride. Great ride report, terrific photos.
Old 10-22-12, 09:05 PM
TheHen

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice photos. It looks like a nice place to ride. However, I do have one objection. Why would you say you were in dairyland when you were in Wisconsin? California produces 65% more milk than Wisconsin and this has been the case for quite some time.
https://www.statemaster.com/graph/ind...ilk-production
Old 10-23-12, 12:11 AM
islandseas

Bikes: Trek 7.3 WSD

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing about your ride. Great pictures. Looks like you had great weather.

Karen
Old 10-24-12, 08:45 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TheHen
Nice photos. It looks like a nice place to ride. However, I do have one objection. Why would you say you were in dairyland when you were in Wisconsin? California produces 65% more milk than Wisconsin and this has been the case for quite some time.
https://www.statemaster.com/graph/ind...ilk-production
Quality not quantity!
Old 10-24-12, 04:15 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
We started in Dodgeville and traveled the rural roads of the kettle moraine region west of Madison, WI. It's ideal cycling terrain with a combination of scenic hills and short-but-steep climbs that provide a challenge.
Looks like a nice trip. I used to ride in that area often when I lived in Madison. A minor correction, though: the area west of Madison isn't a kettle moraine, but rather a driftless area than was missed by the last Ice Age. There is a nice kettle moraine area northeast of Madison, though. It was formed by the terminal moraine marking the furthest advance of the last glacier about 10,000 years ago. Its characteristics include kames (debris piles that spilled off the edge of the glacier as it melted), eskers (debris left by streams flowing under thr ice), and of course kettles (abrupt depressions, some filled with water, formed by large pieces of ice broken off the retreating glacier).
Old 06-09-15, 02:34 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Well done Barrettscv, thanks. As long as we have this forum, billydonn will be with us.
Old 06-09-15, 07:36 PM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Lovely pics....do you happen to have the route on GPS or something you could share? I ride in northern WI but don't get too many hills around here....would be nice to spend a couple days south and ride your route..

Thanks
Old 06-09-15, 09:10 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
So that's familiar territory for our annual WI ride. In fact this year we are back in SW Wisconsin and we are reprising a day's route that most of us consider the hardest day in the 25 year history of our event. Oh goodie! We have stays in Monroe, Richland Center, Baraboo, Madison, and some others (we really like crossing back and forth over that ridge south of Baraboo, --and Devil's Lake is a huge favorite stop). Our 600+ mile route starts 7/24. Cool to see your Picts.
Old 06-09-15, 09:34 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Looks like a nice trip. I used to ride in that area often when I lived in Madison. A minor correction, though: the area west of Madison isn't a kettle moraine, but rather a driftless area than was missed by the last Ice Age. There is a nice kettle moraine area northeast of Madison, though. It was formed by the terminal moraine marking the furthest advance of the last glacier about 10,000 years ago. Its characteristics include kames (debris piles that spilled off the edge of the glacier as it melted), eskers (debris left by streams flowing under thr ice), and of course kettles (abrupt depressions, some filled with water, formed by large pieces of ice broken off the retreating glacier).
Hmmm. A fellow geomorphologist. Nice.
Old 06-09-15, 10:06 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
On route to the start of the Trek 100 last weekend, east of Madison. It is indeed a beautiful place to ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WI cows5.jpg (106.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-09-15, 10:38 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Great ride report. One of these days I need to make it up to SW WI to do some riding.
Old 06-10-15, 04:20 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I go down to SW Wisconsin to ride, and always the highlight of my riding year!
Originally Posted by bikemig
Great ride report. One of these days I need to make it up to SW WI to do some riding.
Old 06-10-15, 04:34 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
This is one of those times when digging up an old thread is appropriate. Thanks for these memories of billydonn.
He was a great contributor here, and a great guy. He is missed.
Old 06-10-15, 11:56 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by bruised
Lovely pics....do you happen to have the route on GPS or something you could share? I ride in northern WI but don't get too many hills around here....would be nice to spend a couple days south and ride your route..

Thanks
This is the route I took with Don : Dodgeville with Don in Dodgeville, WI, United States | MapMyRide

It's moderately hilly but most scenic.

There are steeper routes in the area! This 90 mile route has more than a dozen climbs and an accumulative 7500 feet vertical. The steepest hills are in the last 20 miles : 150Km from Blue Mounds, WI in Blue Mounds, WI, United States | MapMyRide

Last edited by Barrettscv; 06-10-15 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 07:56 PM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
This is the route I took with Don : Dodgeville with Don in Dodgeville, WI, United States | MapMyRide

It's moderately hilly but most scenic.

There are steeper routes in the area! This 90 mile route has more than a dozen climbs and an accumulative 7500 feet vertical. The steepest hills are in the last 20 miles : 150Km from Blue Mounds, WI in Blue Mounds, WI, United States | MapMyRide
Thanks for sharing your route. I'll definitely get down to the area soon, and I use MapMyRide so that's handy too!

Cheers
Old 06-11-15, 08:47 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
Hmmm. A fellow geomorphologist. Nice.
Strictly amateur, I assure you...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.