Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Home made head set tools * PHASE 2

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Home made head set tools * PHASE 2

Old 05-01-14, 07:40 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Me too Noglider. I'm purely amateur. WAY amateur. One reason I resisted trying this is that it takes me a long time and I make lots of mistakes. A real machinist could have whipped these parts out in a couple of hours. Probably less. This took me nearly two days. But it is fun.
Nothing like turning copper alloys on a metal lathe. Steel? that's another story.
This reminded me of rule #4 of the machine shop...

5 rules of the machine shop:
1. We don't f&*k around. <-also the answer to all questions and admiration comments about stuff produced in the machine shop
2. If one is to build, then one must over build.
3. If one is to load, then one must over load.
4. A good machinist never makes a mistake, a great machinist can compensate for all mistakes made.
5. There are never enough tools.

The work done here is excellent. I worked in a machine shop part time for 5 years in college to help pay the bills and loved. I really wish I had a lathe about your size and a J-head Bridgeport pretty badly at my house.