Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Advice on a rack or new backback for road bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 10:59 PM
filkry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, first time poster here.

I've been biking to and from work for almost two years now. I started on a used beach cruiser, then when that literally split apart I bought a terrible commuter bike from Walmart that did a number on my back. I moved, so that my commute is now 7 miles instead of 3, I ended up buying a road bike because I was curious about the experience.

I really like the different riding style, but I am starting to get tired of having a sweaty back from my backpack when I get to work (especially now that summer is getting into swing).

My frame is a Bianchi aluminum alloy (I'm sure its their cheapest frame) that doesn't have anchor points for a bolt-on rack. I want to be able to carry about 15 lbs. However, this includes my jacket and lunch for the day, which while light can take up a lot of space. For that reason, I'm nervous about getting a seat-mounted rack.

I'm also open to a backpack if someone can recommend one that will breathe *really* well, but I do like the free feeling of having nothing on my back.

Kind of looking at the Arkel Randonneur seat post rack (https://www.arkel-od.com/en/arkel-randonneur-rack.html)...

Anyone have suggestions for how I can solve my sweaty back problem?

Last edited by filkry; 05-17-16 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 03:38 AM
bikeclub

Bikes: Many machines in pieces on the ground.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rack options

I almost always use a pannier to avoid the sweaty back, and to carry more that would be awkward in a backpack.

If you're willing to spend the $100 on the Arkel seatpost rack, then in the same general price range you could probably buy any of the following to hold up to 40 pounds securely front or rear:

- look at usual suspects, Nashbar, Performance, for racks that mount with P or C clamps to frame, probably around $50.
- Old Mountain Rack that mounts to the frame and axles ($140+),
- Minoura MTB or similar rack on Amazon, about $60-70, but reputedly heavy.

Last edited by bikeclub; 05-18-16 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Added details
Old 05-18-16, 04:03 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
best in the business:

tubus - Home

if you set it to English and then select "Accessories Rear Carriers" everything you need to mount the rack will be present.

this is a rack for life and will easily outlast your current bicycle.

For example ... this one even works with a quick release system.

tubus - Disco
Old 05-18-16, 04:04 AM
acidfast7
Banned

German/English catalog with pictures!

You want the "Schellen-Adapterset" on the bottom of Page 34.

Last edited by acidfast7; 05-18-16 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-18-16, 04:31 AM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like my Axiom Streamliner Road DLX, nice and small but does a great job of holding panniers, mounts via the QR skewer and brake boss.
Streamliner Road DLX - Streamliner - Racks - Products - Axiom Cycling Gear

IMHO the Osprey Momentum 34 is/ was one of the finest backpack ever for bicycle commuting, however, they no longer make this model and or size. Here's a video review a guy made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISdTuOVAGxc
Old 05-18-16, 04:42 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by 2 Piece
I really like my Axiom Streamliner Road DLX, nice and small but does a great job of holding panniers, mounts via the QR skewer and brake boss.
Streamliner Road DLX - Streamliner - Racks - Products - Axiom Cycling Gear

IMHO the Osprey Momentum 34 is/ was one of the finest backpack ever for bicycle commuting, however, they no longer make this model and or size. Here's a video review a guy made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISdTuOVAGxc
I think 35L is too large ... I get a 13.3 rMBP, lunch and a full change of clothes into an, unfortunately, not available any longer ARC'TERYX SPEAR 20L ... the roll top is nice for rackets/baguettes or other longer items.

Here's an older review:

the journeyman traveller: Arc'teryx Spear 20

IMHO, Osprey has always tried to hard to be flashy without the proven durability of ARC'TERYX.
Old 05-18-16, 05:05 AM
2 Piece

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I think 35L is too large ... I get a 13.3 rMBP, lunch and a full change of clothes into an, unfortunately, not available any longer ARC'TERYX SPEAR 20L ... the roll top is nice for rackets/baguettes or other longer items.

Here's an older review:

the journeyman traveller: Arc'teryx Spear 20

IMHO, Osprey has always tried to hard to be flashy without the proven durability of ARC'TERYX.
Well the 34 liter Momentum 34 will compress/ cinch down to a smaller size, where as a smaller backpack can not expand. Just nice to have the extra room in case you might need it.
Osprey has been making packs for over 40 years now, maybe not as long as Arc'teryx, but I would certainly say they have proven themselves, and they are known for their durability and lifetime "no question asked" warranty.
Don't get me wrong Arc'teryx makes a nice pack and is a leader in the industry.
Old 05-18-16, 05:20 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Well the 34 liter Momentum 34 will compress/ cinch down to a smaller size, where as a smaller backpack can not expand. Just nice to have the extra room in case you might need it.
Osprey has been making packs for over 40 years now, maybe not as long as Arc'teryx, but I would certainly say they have proven themselves, and they are known for their durability and lifetime "no question asked" warranty.
Cool. I didn't see that it could cinch, that's quite nice. After I wrote that about Osprey, I regretted it as they're not bad quality. I think they were viewed with a little skepticism in Germany due to their flashy colours ... not as bad as North Face, but still a little overstated.
Old 05-18-16, 06:58 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a seatpost style rack, fixed a trunk bag onto it.
Then.. a toss my belongings into one of the cheap, draw-string style back packs and simply drop it into the trunk.

I'll keep my extra tube, and multi-tool, a bungee etc in the rack all the time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike_atWork_May2015.jpg (104.3 KB, 161 views)
Old 05-18-16, 08:26 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Arc'teryx gets way more credit than they deserve. They make nice products (I really like their A2B pants), but they tend to expensive, even when compared to competitors. And you have to support Osprey, with their dedication to packs, and their no questions asked All Mighty Guarantee. I hate backpacks when riding, but love Osprey packs generally.
Old 05-18-16, 08:32 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
I used a Topeak Seat post rack for 30,000 miles. Loved the Quick release.

Old 05-18-16, 10:10 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
The issue with seatpost racks, apart from any weight concerns, is that with only 1 anchor point they can end up moving left/right because they're not attached.

The issues with any backpack are that either you have a sweaty back, or you get the kind that prevents that but it has a hard plastic back that's not comfortable to ride with on a road bike (works fine for mountain biking but was very awkward for me for road biking where you're leaning over the bars).

They do make racks that mount on bikes without rack mounts. The two most common that I know of are the Axiom Streamliner Disc (cheaper):
Amazon.com : Axiom DLX Streamliner Disc Cycle Rack, Black : Bike Racks : Sports & Outdoors

If you want something that's super light but more expensive, the Bontrager Backrack Lightweight:
Bontrager BackRack Lightweight | Trek Bikes

There are some pictures of the Bontrager Backrack on a full carbon Trek Domane (no rack mounts) here:
**********-ITEM-?Y's Road ???
Old 05-18-16, 11:58 AM
filkry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
They do make racks that mount on bikes without rack mounts. The two most common that I know of are the Axiom Streamliner Disc (cheaper):
Amazon.com : Axiom DLX Streamliner Disc Cycle Rack, Black : Bike Racks : Sports & Outdoors
This looks like an ideal option to try, and quite affordable. People in the Amazon reviews say it comes with everything you need too, which is great. I think I'll try it.

The tubus mount and adapter set also seem like very good options, but this one seems like a good mix of all-in-one and cheap. I'd feel more comfortable putting a pannier on this then trying to fit into a trunk back on a seat-mounted rack.

Thanks so much for everyone taking the time to offer advice. I feel quite welcome here!

Last edited by filkry; 05-18-16 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 03:01 PM
acidfast7
Banned

cool man and welcome to BF.

take some photos and let us know how it works out for ya!
Old 05-18-16, 03:34 PM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this backpack. Race EXP Air - Bikebackpack - Deuter

This is the best I have had in many generations of commuter backpacks. This has a mesh layer that holds the bag away from your back and lets some air flow between the bag and your back. No sweaty back. Got the bright green one so it stands out a little better to drivers.

Only downside is the bag is on the small side. The good side of that is it keeps me from collecting and hauling extra junk that seems to collect over time.

Last edited by 1242Vintage; 05-18-16 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-04-16, 04:40 PM
filkry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a false start with the wrong sized seat post clamp, but I ordered a new one and put it all together!

I'm really happy with it. I had to follow the advice of a lot of the reviewers on Amazon and reverse the seat post arms, but other than that it worked perfectly. I'm a little concerned with how I re-fastened the quick release axle. I put the springs on the outside of the rack arms and tightened it to somewhere that *seems* reasonable, but I don't remember how tight the clamp was when I started...

Now I have to order some panniers or something so I can actually use this! Might find some way to rig my backpack to the thing in the meantime...
Attached Images
thumb_IMG_1635_1024.jpg (78.3 KB, 145 views)
thumb_IMG_1636_1024.jpg (80.6 KB, 142 views)
thumb_IMG_1637_1024.jpg (77.1 KB, 139 views)
thumb_IMG_1638_1024.jpg (48.6 KB, 137 views)
Old 06-04-16, 07:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by filkry
Had a false start with the wrong sized seat post clamp, but I ordered a new one and put it all together!

I'm really happy with it. I had to follow the advice of a lot of the reviewers on Amazon and reverse the seat post arms, but other than that it worked perfectly. I'm a little concerned with how I re-fastened the quick release axle. I put the springs on the outside of the rack arms and tightened it to somewhere that *seems* reasonable, but I don't remember how tight the clamp was when I started...

Now I have to order some panniers or something so I can actually use this! Might find some way to rig my backpack to the thing in the meantime...
I'm not a fan of using the quick release skewer for a rack mount for a couple of reasons. First, you are asking a lot of a rather thin piece of metal. The quick release skewer can bend under a fairly light load. Second, the rack defeats the whole purpose of a "quick release". It makes fixing flats much more difficult. You'll probably have to take the load off the rack to avoid bending other parts of the rack since the stays can't carry much weight.

That said, you should tighten your quick release skewers the same way that you tighten them without the rack. Screw in the nut on the drive side until the lever is a bit tight when half way closed and then push the lever closed.

I would also suggest changing the orientation of the rack stays. Turn them over so that they come in at a shallower angle and then bend upward towards the seat collar mount.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-04-16, 08:14 PM
PaulRivers

Wow - thanks for coming back and posting pics! :-)

It looks like you went with the Axiom DLX Streamliner Disc Cycle Rack, Black right?
Old 06-04-16, 08:29 PM
2 Piece

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I'm not a fan of using the quick release skewer for a rack mount for a couple of reasons. First, you are asking a lot of a rather thin piece of metal. The quick release skewer can bend under a fairly light load. Second, the rack defeats the whole purpose of a "quick release". It makes fixing flats much more difficult. You'll probably have to take the load off the rack to avoid bending other parts of the rack since the stays can't carry much weight.

That said, you should tighten your quick release skewers the same way that you tighten them without the rack. Screw in the nut on the drive side until the lever is a bit tight when half way closed and then push the lever closed.

I would also suggest changing the orientation of the rack stays. Turn them over so that they come in at a shallower angle and then bend upward towards the seat collar mount.
That thin pieces of metal will hold a lot. Agree that quick release will not be very quick now and that he should reverse the stay brackets, plus I think he should probably cut off some of the excess. I have a similar Axiom Streamliner road rack and use those thin metal brackets mounted to rack bosses and it is 100% totally rigid, much to even my belief. I would have thought there would be some "wiggle" using those plates but there is none. The real nice thing about those plates is it eliminates heel strikes by moving the rack back further.
Attached Images
gap2016.jpg (104.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 06-04-16, 08:31 PM
filkry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Thanks for the advice. In general I don't expect to have more than 10-15 lbs on the rack so hopefully it will turn out OK. The reviews for the product seem pretty positive so I'm going to keep it for now. I will keep your concerns in mind though and maybe purchase an extra quick-release skewer to keep with me just in case my current one ends up damaged from the tack.

And yes PaulRivers, I did go with the Axiom Streamliner.
Old 06-04-16, 08:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
German Klick Fix makes a back pack that snaps onto a seat post bracket they also make .
Old 06-04-16, 09:27 PM
PaulRivers

And yes PaulRivers, I did go with the Axiom Streamliner.
Thanks, just wanted to confirm that I had the exact rack right if I share the pics for other people looking for a similar thing. :-)

Thanks for the advice. In general I don't expect to have more than 10-15 lbs on the rack so hopefully it will turn out OK. The reviews for the product seem pretty positive so I'm going to keep it for now. I will keep your concerns in mind though and maybe purchase an extra quick-release skewer to keep with me just in case my current one ends up damaged from the tack.
The other poster doesn't have any idea what they're talking about.
The rear wheel skewer combined with the wheel is designed to handle your entire bodyweight (average male is around 200lbs), plus additional forces from pedalling on it.
There's no practical difference between mounting the rack on the skewer directly, vs mounting it on the frame, as mounting it on the frame simply transfers the weight to the skewer and wheel.

There's no reason to buy an extra skewer, it's not an issue. Both a frame mount and a skewer mount transfer the weight through to the skewer and the wheel in functionally the same way.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 06-04-16 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-05-16, 06:04 AM
2 Piece

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Thanks, just wanted to confirm that I had the exact rack right if I share the pics for other people looking for a similar thing. :-)

The other poster doesn't have any idea what they're talking about.
The rear wheel skewer combined with the wheel is designed to handle your entire bodyweight (average male is around 200lbs), plus additional forces from pedalling on it.
There's no practical difference between mounting the rack on the skewer directly, vs mounting it on the frame, as mounting it on the frame simply transfers the weight to the skewer and wheel.

There's no reason to buy an extra skewer, it's not an issue. Both a frame mount and a skewer mount transfer the weight through to the skewer and the wheel in functionally the same way.
Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you on the premise that your statement is a little misleading. The rear or front skewer is designed to clamp the wheel hubs into the drop outs, that's it. They do not carry any weight bearing load. Your hub axles set in the drop out and carry the weight. Now, with that being said, I am pretty sure that the skewer can handle the extra weight. Over an extended amount of time I could imagine the skewer would wear down and become susceptible to breaking where the rack mount connects.
Old 06-05-16, 07:58 AM
mrb09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not at all anti-rack (I have one on my mountain bike), but I absolutely love my Osprey Radial when riding my folding commuter. The mesh back panel really keeps sweat off my back. For my five mile commute, the backpack is perfect.
Old 06-05-16, 11:00 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
get a front handlebar bag .... such as the Gilles Berthoud .... large, and it can be mounted with a KlickFix unit

the curious randonneur: Handlebar Bag...without a front rack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.