Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Vote for Fatbike Forum!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.
View Poll Results: Should there be a dedicated Fatbike Forum?
Yes!
85.53%
No!
14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Vote for Fatbike Forum!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-17, 03:14 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
Because I’d miss out on the smiles-per-mile of the fat bike experience!
Exactly. Fat bikes make you smile At least it does for me
Old 12-09-17, 07:56 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I would like to know the reason why, for those who voted against. What does it change in their world?
It's another forum to descend into if I want to keep up. I prefer fewer forums with more traffic in each, because I can scan 30 or 40 thread titles faster than I can bounce down into and up out of a whole bunch low-traffic forums.

The decision is fine though. The vote has been heard. It's all good. Time to move forward and enjoy the new forum.
Old 12-09-17, 10:58 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by RecceDG
Challenge Accepted.
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
It's another forum to descend into if I want to keep up. I prefer fewer forums with more traffic in each, because I can scan 30 or 40 thread titles faster than I can bounce down into and up out of a whole bunch low-traffic forums.

The decision is fine though. The vote has been heard. It's all good. Time to move forward and enjoy the new forum.
You know you can just use the "New Posts" tab on top to scan through all new threads in all forums?
Old 12-09-17, 11:02 AM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
You know you can just use the "New Posts" tab on top to scan through all new threads in all forums?
I do know that, and sometimes I use it. Thing is, I don't really want to see _all_ forums. There are a handful that interest me, and the rest I normally stay out of. Fat bikes interest me. I don't own one yet, but someday I will and I like to keep up with what's happening in that space.

Edit: Please don't interpret anything I say as continued opposition. Someone earlier was curious as to why I would vote the way that I did, and I only responded to share why I think the way that I do. I'm perfectly fine now with the outcome.

Last edited by JonathanGennick; 12-09-17 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-09-17, 11:20 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis
A prepper’s dream.
Sexy! Did you rig that up, or was it a custom job from Framed (I know they do quite a bit of build to order things)?

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Of course the counterpoint is that I miss out on quite a bit of fat bike talk, because it is spread out over many subforums that I never look at and somewhat concentrated in a subforum I rarely look at.

I understand you aren't opposed, just presenting the counterpoint from a non MTBer POV!
Old 12-09-17, 12:20 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by reccedg
huzzah!

Thanks for the help.
+1!!
Old 12-09-17, 01:10 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Well it worked. Guess what you guys are getting from Siu?

Hopefully by Monday. Hang tight! And after it's started, if you guys would please help me by finding the fatbike threads, reporting them by using the white exclamation in the red circle, and type in that Siu said to request these moved to the NEW FATBIKES FORUM!!
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Question: If multiple people flag a thread to move to the new Fatbike Forum, does that cause you and your team issues? I flagged mostly my own threads, but realized if a few of us flag the same thread, it could be a pain for the BF team. Just want to help make this easy for the group that maintains BF.
Old 12-09-17, 02:34 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Hey guys, please don't report any further fat bike threads. As Siu said, report them AFTER the forum has been created, which will take a few days. Thanks!
Old 12-09-17, 02:46 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Question: If multiple people flag a thread to move to the new Fatbike Forum, does that cause you and your team issues? I flagged mostly my own threads, but realized if a few of us flag the same thread, it could be a pain for the BF team. Just want to help make this easy for the group that maintains BF.
If multiple people flag the same thread, it just gets flagged multiple times on the same report.

But please, don't report them yet, do it after the section is live because what happens is the reports get pushed down on the list and at the rate we get reports, it will be a few pages back and we wont' be able to find them. We try to take care of a report as soon as it gets reported. But if we can't, it gets pushed down by the hundreds that we do get all the time.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 12-09-17, 02:59 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
If multiple people flag the same thread, it just gets flagged multiple times on the same report.

But please, don't report them yet, do it after the section is live because what happens is the reports get pushed down on the list and at the rate we get reports, it will be a few pages back and we wont' be able to find them. We try to take care of a report as soon as it gets reported. But if we can't, it gets pushed down by the hundreds that we do get all the time.
Thanks for the info!!
Old 12-09-17, 04:19 PM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Of course the counterpoint is that I miss out on quite a bit of fat bike talk, because it is spread out over many subforums that I never look at and somewhat concentrated in a subforum I rarely look at.
Good points. I hadn't thought from that perspective.
Old 12-09-17, 06:04 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
[QUOTE=jefnvk;20042696]Sexy! Did you rig that up, or was it a custom job from Framed (I know they do quite a bit of build to order things)?

It’s a Framed Minnesota 3.0 with tweaks: Salsa Woodchipper bars with a Ritchey adjustable stem. Bars have a triple wrap up, double wrap on drops. Salsa bar end shifters, SRAM GXP X5 B.B., and 40/22 cogs up front (custom 40, think of this as a fat bike version of a compact, let’s me roll fast and climb steep). Specialized Toupe saddle and Wellgo M4 pedals. Shaved BFLs for the beach! LA X9 rear D.

I ride the crap out out of it on the beach. Go through about 2 chains a year. Rode it in the 2016 Seattle to Portland (on 3.0 slicks).

When I’m in the hills, it’s a mountain bike, on the beach it’s a beach bike, on the road it’s all animal.

Last edited by Jseis; 12-09-17 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-09-17, 06:26 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis
40/22 cogs up front (custom 40, think of this as a fat bike version of a compact, let’s me roll fast and climb steep).
Nice! What FD and shifters are you running with that? Any issue with that gearing differential? I was going to take mine to a 1x, but if I could do something like that, I could see some benefits!
Old 12-09-17, 07:39 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Nice! What FD and shifters are you running with that? Any issue with that gearing differential? I was going to take mine to a 1x, but if I could do something like that, I could see some benefits!
The FD is an SRAM X7, the RD SRAM X9 (wore out the X7, X9 was a good upgrade). No real issues as when I’m on the road or paved trail I’m on the 40 and beach or logging roads I’m on the 22. The 40 front was a LBS custom mod to fit the BB. Works great. Tektro roadie style brakes. Brifters might be ok except that beach grit gets everywhere.

Last edited by Jseis; 12-09-17 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 08:40 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Thread closed.

Thank you for participating.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.