Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Anybody using a Brooks saddle?

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-17, 01:34 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

Is anyone using a Brooks saddle on their fatbike? If so, how are you finding it and does riding in inclement weather conditions cause the saddle any issues?

I'm looking at a Brooks Flyer saddle as a potential Brooks saddle for my fatbike but have some reservations as it is likely to get wet and may become unusable quickly.

I cannot get comfortable with the stock WTB Silverado or a Specialized Phenom Expert on my fattie so have broadened my search to much wider saddles designed for a more upright cycling position.
Old 12-22-17, 06:30 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
I have a Brooks England B17 on my Salsa Mukluk. I have been riding Brooks saddles for ever or it seems that way. In terms of them getting wet wet they don't like it. Despite the "your backside is on the saddle" so you don't need to worry about suggestions I have managed to ruin one after riding about eight hours in solid rain. So something to be aware of at least. They do have a rain cover but reports suggest it is nothing fantastic.

On my new roadie I have gone with a Selle Anatomica X2 saddle. Really impressed with it so far and their follow up customer service [email after three weeks with guidance on tensioning, treating the saddle etc]. Assuming my experience continues to be positive I doubt I would go back to a Brooks and may well change my existing saddles over. If you decided to try a Selle Anatomica saddle there is a discount code in play at the moment I think, WINTER10 offering you 10% off.
Old 12-22-17, 06:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Another Brooks thread?

keep a plastic bag on it. I did a saturation application of molten Proofide , (Saddle at 100F. upside down ) on my Brooks team pro in 1975..

Fat bikes were not around back then

Consider the All weather Cambium , a C17 or a C19? no care issues then..

Old 12-22-17, 07:18 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I’ve used a Brooks Cambium. I like it though I currently using a Specialized Toupe.
Old 01-07-18, 10:51 PM
TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a fat bike but I had a Brooks B17 on my last touring bike, I encountered a TON of rain in about 10'000kms of cycling mostly on one long tour. I actually agree with Fietsbob on this, put a plastic bag over the saddle, a good quality one or maybe even two or three. Also do a good job of Proofide applications and for extra safety you can double an elastic band over the ends of the bags and the seat tube: beauty in ugliness!

I urge you to try and borrow a sprung saddle before buying one, I am riding on one now cause it's the only leather saddle I could find in Latin America and it's fun for a day or two but then you realise you're torquing your knees a lot more to make up for the effective seat height change every half second. Not the kind of thing you want to experiment with on a 200 buck saddle.
Old 01-08-18, 07:21 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
Is anyone using a Brooks saddle on their fatbike? If so, how are you finding it and does riding in inclement weather conditions cause the saddle any issues?

I'm looking at a Brooks Flyer saddle as a potential Brooks saddle for my fatbike but have some reservations as it is likely to get wet and may become unusable quickly.

I cannot get comfortable with the stock WTB Silverado or a Specialized Phenom Expert on my fattie so have broadened my search to much wider saddles designed for a more upright cycling position.
I've used a B-17 with rear fender and large saddle bag on my Pugsley, never had any issues. Recently, I ended up with a C-17 and opted to use that on my Pug... but I'd have no issues going back to leather (with fender and saddle bag to protect the saddle from spray).

IMG_20160229_161336709.jpg

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 01-09-18 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-08-18, 07:25 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I got the Brooks Flyer in the end and have had a few rides with it on my fat bike. It's not exactly a looker and doesn't look great on the bike. It does feel comfortable to sit on. I sense the extra strain on my knees but I think that's more to do with the seat being too low at the moment. I'm adjusting the seat height by tiny amounts after each ride to find the ideal height.

I have a B67 on my cruiser and that is very springy but ideal for the cruiser. The Flyer has almost no give in the springs that I can feel.

I'll see how it goes with the Flyer. The springs reduce the seatpost that visible so make mounting a rear light somewhat tricky. I've had to be a little creative to get my light mounted. It's at the very top of the seapost, literally shining through the springs of the Flyer.

There's no shop nearby that would loan a saddle. I'm basically buying new ones and then selling them at a slight loss as nearly new after trying them out for a handful of rides.
Old 01-08-18, 05:40 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Cambium and it handles weather just fine. Though, for some reason I get the feeling you're looking for help with leather.
Old 01-15-18, 02:52 PM
afabed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Taz,

I have been using a b67 on my ICT, and I love it. A friend borrowed it for a while, along with my Flyer, and ended up going with a B67 for himself as well. I found the springing wasn't bad at all, and that the shorter nose (in comparison to the Flyer) was even more comfortable riding the fat bike in both snow and on trail.

Good luck with your saddle!