Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Price level where one can get to a decent fat bike?

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Price level where one can get to a decent fat bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-17, 04:33 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
FWIW post.. I was at a LBS today and they are selling brand new fat bikes for $490. I'm not kidding. They have aluminum frames, cable operated disc brakes, and a 1x7 drive train, w Shimano derailler. Obviously not the best bike ever made, but geez, it didn't look too bad. Maybe a reasonable way to test the water and see how much one would like the concept.
that may just be a freewheel instead of freehub.
for just $10 more you can get the Gravity Bullseye Monster that has 2x8. I assume off-rad and on-road you will need more range than 1x7 offers and it has a freehub, so you can upgrade to 10-speed cassettes.

Edit: 1x7 may even be unrideable if you have any sort of hills in your off-road. And going through deep sand or sand also requires low gearing.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 12-23-17 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 05:03 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
for just $10 more you can get the Gravity Bullseye Monster that has 2x8. I assume off-rad and on-road you will need more range than 1x7 offers and it has a freehub, so you can upgrade to 10-speed cassettes.

Edit: 1x7 may even be unrideable if you have any sort of hills in your off-road. And going through deep sand or sand also requires low gearing.
Where im at most of the bike/rec area paths are flat, one really wouldn't need more gearing. That said, these cheap options are solely recreational bikes, where the owners are never leaving such terrain
Old 12-23-17, 05:08 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Where im at most of the bike/rec area paths are flat, one really wouldn't need more gearing. That said, these cheap options are solely recreational bikes, where the owners are never leaving such terrain
Read the GBM thread on MTBR, people do some serious stuff with those. this may not be the best off-road bike, but it is at the point where the rider is the one holding the bike back.

Even when flat, you get stuck in sand or snow etc.
Old 12-23-17, 05:14 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Read the GBM thread on MTBR, people do some serious stuff with those. this may not be the best off-road bike, but it is at the point where the rider is the one holding the bike back.

Even when flat, you get stuck in sand or snow etc.
Don't doubt it one bit, my comnent was in relation to 1x7.

From my own personal account, I was fairly sold on a BD offering with the exception of the tires. The Schwalbe just received so much better snow reviews I bit the bullet and bought one with them to start with.
Old 12-23-17, 05:34 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

The BD one is clearly a better value, if in other ways than you mentioned. The one I saw today does have a freewheel. I don't see any particular issue with that. And it has bolt-on hubs. Not a deal breaker but QRs add a little bit of value. I think the gearing would be ok, and I like the idea of a 1x. I'd never get a fatbike to ride on the road. I have other bikes for that..
Old 12-23-17, 08:35 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by on the path
The BD one is clearly a better value, if in other ways than you mentioned. The one I saw today does have a freewheel. I don't see any particular issue with that. And it has bolt-on hubs. Not a deal breaker but QRs add a little bit of value. I think the gearing would be ok, and I like the idea of a 1x. I'd never get a fatbike to ride on the road. I have other bikes for that..
With bolt-on hubs I fear getting the wheel in the correct position every time will be a pain so the disc rotor doesn't touch the pads.

I would be very concerned with freewheel. first red flag is that this basically is a Walmart bike. Apparently bent axles are a common occurrence with freewheels. With a fatbike (longer distance, but same design) this problem will be amplified. See bearing location freewheel vs. freehub.
When the sprockets wear out (if the hub even makes it that long.....) a freewheel also will be more expensive than a cassette and you will be limited to 7 gears.

I ride min on the bike path on the way to the "off-road". trails also have flat or downhill parts. soyou need "fast" and "slow" gears.
Old 12-23-17, 10:23 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
My SO bought me a Min 3.0 about 3 years ago (~$1200 at LBS). I ride it hard on the beach and 3500 miles later...I’m on my 7th chain, 3rd BB, 2nd cog set, 2nd set of brake pads, 3rd set of pedals and a bunch of mods including RD, brake levers, bars, bar end shifers, stem, tires, seat. Wheels and hubs fine, frame great.

So now it’s truly my bike. Get a bike worth mods. A used ICT in good shape might be worth considering as they can handle big tires. My 3.0 close to limit with BFLs.
Attached Images
Old 01-25-18, 03:02 PM
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti

Location: in the state of Confusion, formerly from state of Denial

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1, Jamis Sputnik 2009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Minnesota Framed if it hasn't been mentioned yet. $900 basic "starter" fatbike.