Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would appreciate info on a purchase.....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-21, 07:19 AM
Lman
L-man

Bikes: Co Op cty 1.3 -light touring ~1972 Peugeot OU 8 / 1992? Specialized Allez Shimankestien

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts

I'm of limited funds,63 years old, but have found a great escape past time(when I can get some time),
riding our cities greenways. I just picked up this
60cm special Allez pro. It is steel framed , seller said was his dad's.....ride for a few hundred miles then stored in a barn for over 20 years. Seller (son)brought it out, lubed it , replaced inner tubes and tires that had dry rotted.
Any one care to guess the age ? Appreciate any help in advance of receiving 🤗

Old 11-16-21, 07:35 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
What is the date code on the calipers? The right shifter is a late addition. I'm not familiar enough with Specialized to make even a wild guess. But the unicrown fork tells you post-1988, I'm thinking. Is the rear derailleur a Shimano Sante? That would put it post 1987.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-16-21, 07:59 AM
Lman
L-man

Bikes: Co Op cty 1.3 -light touring ~1972 Peugeot OU 8 / 1992? Specialized Allez Shimankestien

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
What is the date code on the calipers? The right shifter is a late addition. I'm not familiar enough with Specialized to make even a wild guess. But the unicrown fork tells you post-1988, I'm thinking. Is the rear derailleur a Shimano Sante? That would put it post 1987.
It says 600 ?

Old 11-16-21, 08:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Rear derailleur was manufactured between 1988 and 1991, according to VeloBase entry on RD-6400
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-16-21, 08:26 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Considering the mismatched components, this bike could easily have been built up from a bare frame. An actual date of manufacture might not be feasible. Looking at the overall condition of the bike, it looks as if it has seen a lot more than a couple of hundred miles of use. Might well have been bought by the seller's father second hand
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-16-21, 08:27 AM
Lman
L-man

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Rear derailleur was manufactured between 1988 and 1991, according to VeloBase entry on RD-6400
Thank you
Old 11-16-21, 08:37 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Horizontal dropouts suggest mid-80s at the latest, to me. Crank is also of that era, although it's obvious not all the components on the bike are original.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-16-21, 08:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
The RD and FD are late 80s early 90s. Wonky half STI shifting indicates it was either partially updated to STI rear shifting or partially downgraded due to component breaking. The crankset is high quality.
Its a mish-mash of really nice drivetrain components.

And as another poster said- that thing has been ridden a lot more than a few hundred miles. It really should have a full overhaul and cleaning. It should at least have a degreasing and cleaned. That is a lot of grime from only a few hundred miles.
Unicrown fork- 86 or later?
Horizontal dropouts- 80s.

ETA- the seat cluster looks 80s as I do know an early 90s Allez used seat stay plugs for at least one year and I would assume more.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 11-16-21 at 08:49 AM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-16-21, 09:38 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
One of the simplest ways is to look at the two letter (Y/M) date code on the inside of all Shimano crank arms. It is a two letter code inside of a circle. 1988 is M and 1991 is P. Second letter is the month with January being A and December L. That should date the manufacturing within a couple of months since the crank would have been made shortly before the bike was assembled.
Old 11-16-21, 09:40 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
One of the simplest ways is to look at the two letter (Y/M) date code on the inside of all Shimano crank arms...
The DuraAce crankset is most likely an after purchase upgrade.
Old 11-16-21, 09:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
One of the simplest ways is to look at the two letter (Y/M) date code on the inside of all Shimano crank arms. It is a two letter code inside of a circle. 1988 is M and 1991 is P. Second letter is the month with January being A and December L. That should date the manufacturing within a couple of months since the crank would have been made shortly before the bike was assembled.
Doing this would make someone think that the Black Mountain MC frame I use for a commuting bike was made in 1985 because I use an old crank. In reality, the frame was made in 2015 or 2016.
Old 11-16-21, 09:53 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’m guessing it is a 1988. The horizontal dropouts would seem to make it earlier, but I’ve seen pics of ‘87 and ‘88 Allez with them.

Unicrown fork the same color gives it away.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-16-21, 09:57 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
This might help.

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2...ve/Catalogues/
Old 11-16-21, 11:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I'd be a little worried about the shift cable running over the bottom bracket. Many old bikes did that and it's fine many times. However that picture is looking a little like my 1991 Paramount that I use to have that also just ran bare cables without a guide over the BB shell. The front DR cable in that picture looks to be cutting into the BB. That might start to if it's not already make the cable too hard for the shifter to pull and wear out or break the shifter mechanism in the STI.

When I found mine doing that I had a scrap piece of Delrin in the shop and the tools to fashion a cable guide that worked very well for several years. However I eventually replaced it with this which for the money makes me spending so much time to make my own sort of ridiculous.

https://www.universalcycles.com/sear...et+cable+guide

I can't really tell if that will work on yours but there are other types. You'll have to drill a hole in the BB shell to screw it on, so be careful not to push so hard on the drill that you let the drill plunge when it cuts through the shell and damage the BB or spindle inside.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-16-21, 12:05 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by Lman

Is this a picture of the OP with the bike? That top tube looks uncomfortably high, at least for the person in the photo
Old 11-16-21, 12:06 PM
Lman
L-man

Originally Posted by seypat
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'd be a little worried about the shift cable running over the bottom bracket. Many old bikes did that and it's fine many times. However that picture is looking a little like my 1991 Paramount that I use to have that also just ran bare cables without a guide over the BB shell. The front DR cable in that picture looks to be cutting into the BB. That might start to if it's not already make the cable too hard for the shifter to pull and wear out or break the shifter mechanism in the STI.

When I found mine doing that I had a scrap piece of Delrin in the shop and the tools to fashion a cable guide that worked very well for several years. However I eventually replaced it with this which for the money makes me spending so much time to make my own sort of ridiculous.

I can't really tell if that will work on yours but there are other types. You'll have to drill a hole in the BB shell to screw it on, so be careful not to push so hard on the drill that you let the drill plunge when it cuts through the shell and damage the BB or spindle inside.
Thank you
Old 11-16-21, 12:35 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Thank you
I've a bike , carbon fiber but it's got cable showing like in this picture ,, so I looked harder and saw the holes for the cable to pass through looks like whoever built the bike just bypassed that step and didn't thread the cable through the holes , so there may be a hole there ....?
Old 11-16-21, 12:47 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Thank you
Originally Posted by Iride01

I highly suggest removing the bottom bracket before drilling, then clear the fragments out before reassembly.
Old 11-16-21, 01:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
I highly suggest removing the bottom bracket before drilling, then clear the fragments out before reassembly.
Why? If any happened to get in they'll just sit on the bottom of the shell most of the time. The steel of the shell is also probably softer than the bearings so even if they made it through all the grease that been pushed out of the bearings and into them, they'll just be ground up and mixed in. Metal particles are actually used in greases to improve some qualities.

And if this is a cartridge BB then none of the swarf from the drilling can even get in. Though without looking at the pic again, I think that looked like cup and cone. Still wouldn't bother me though. The swarf comes up from the hole being drilled and if used with a vacuum cleaner while drilling and they don't let the drill plunge when they break through the shell, then little to no chips will get in.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-16-21, 04:30 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Originally Posted by restlessswind
This is just my suggestion. You do what you have to do.
Likes For restlessswind:
Old 11-16-21, 05:41 PM
restlessswind

On 2nd thought, I wouldn't add the plastic cable guide, there are already welded on ones. Just grease the area or use a cable sheath (very thin housing) to assist with the guides already there.
Likes For restlessswind:
Old 11-16-21, 07:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The RD and FD are late 80s early 90s. Wonky half STI shifting indicates it was either partially updated to STI rear shifting or partially downgraded due to component breaking. The crankset is high quality.
Its a mish-mash of really nice drivetrain components.

And as another poster said- that thing has been ridden a lot more than a few hundred miles. It really should have a full overhaul and cleaning. It should at least have a degreasing and cleaned. That is a lot of grime from only a few hundred miles.
Unicrown fork- 86 or later?
Horizontal dropouts- 80s.

ETA- the seat cluster looks 80s as I do know an early 90s Allez used seat stay plugs for at least one year and I would assume more.
Keep in mind Lance Armstrong and other racers of the era did sometimes use STI on the right and downtube for the left to save weight when getting to the UCI minimum was a little harder. Unlikely that Specialized did that on a production bike but the bike could have been used in competition?

I do agree it should be overhauled the bike could use some love, it has great parts Tricolor and 7400 on a decent frame so hopefully it can be made relatively new again,
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-16-21, 07:16 PM
Lman
L-man

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Keep in mind Lance Armstrong and other racers of the era did sometimes use STI on the right and downtube for the left to save weight when getting to the UCI minimum was a little harder. Unlikely that Specialized did that on a production bike but the bike could have been used in competition?

I do agree it should be overhauled the bike could use some love, it has great parts Tricolor and 7400 on a decent frame so hopefully it can be made relatively new again,
thank you for encouraging words....got one adopted daughter in first year of college, another in 10th grade, all on a technicians salary....( There is no extra money around here, lol!), I have to make the most of this bike.
I Want to be able to do a century ride/100 miles...
My heavy co-op cry 1.3 although comfortable, is a beast and I can only average 13 mph on 30 - to - 65 mile rides.
THis bike is so light and fast to me/ green newbie, I'm hoping that it has good bones to last with proper care and maintenance ! If you can't tell I'm very excited for the journey. Again thank you for words that give me hope.
Wife has said this is it for a long while....lol.
Likes For Lman:
Old 11-16-21, 07:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
thank you for encouraging words....got one adopted daughter in first year of college, another in 10th grade, all on a technicians salary....( There is no extra money around here, lol!), I have to make the most of this bike.
I Want to be able to do a century ride/100 miles...
My heavy co-op cry 1.3 although comfortable, is a beast and I can only average 13 mph on 30 - to - 65 mile rides.
THis bike is so light and fast to me/ green newbie, I'm hoping that it has good bones to last with proper care and maintenance ! If you can't tell I'm very excited for the journey. Again thank you for words that give me hope.
Wife has said this is it for a long while....lol.
No worries you have great bones for a bike and good parts on it and heck if it were my size I might consider making an offer (luckily it is not and I don't need more vintage bikes now though I did just sell 3...so)

Take good care of that bike, clean it and regrease it and get it ready to roll. Once you get the fit dialed in you can easily ride that bike long distances and have a good time doing so.
Likes For veganbikes: