Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Probable Brand-name Counterfeit vs. Definite Off-brand Knockoff?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Probable Brand-name Counterfeit vs. Definite Off-brand Knockoff?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-21, 11:24 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
(Here's a hint: This is a trick question.)

Gun to your head: Would you rather... buy a brand-name product off of a questionable place like Aliexpress (or Amazon, for that matter) that may or may not be a counterfeit, or would you rather buy a shameless, completely unabashed knockoff that works well enough to do what you need it to do, while being affordable enough for you to just replace the whole thing if and/or when it fails?
What makes you say Aliexpress is 'questionable'? I've bought lots of things from Aliexpress and I've never encountered anything questionable. China produces the majority of the world's bikes, so nobody should be the least bit surprised that they have lots of groupsets and parts floating around.
Old 11-15-21, 01:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Option C in the initial question is an assumed shooting if you don't choose one of the available options.
It's a common phrase- 'gun to your head' and it means you have to choose what is listed because you aren't in a position to choose something not mentioned.

I agree it's a worthless/bad initial question, but that doesnt mean my post is wrong. This thread is full of people saying 'I know I am participating in a thread where I am asked to pick between 2 things, but I will change the rules and choose something not mentioned.

It's a common practice on BF, hence my comment. I am aware I too follow this path at times, especially when it's a thread where someone asks 'which of these two bikes should I buy?' and subsequently lists style of riding which doesn't match either of the bikes listed.

I know what the "gun to your head" thing is supposed to mean, but I was just having fun with OP, he and I have a complicated now very friendly online history, and he gives out the ribbing as well as he takes it.

Actually, to the point that it might actually be a practical question of which to choose, "have you considered c instead?" could actually be a helpful response.

But yeah, BF stands for "Buttheads Forum", right?

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-15-21 at 01:40 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-15-21, 05:01 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Guys, come on. Would it have been more helpful if I had said "do or die" in my OP?

Okay, let's try this again. here's a scenario that I just cooked up that might be a little more realistic: You have a race in the morning. Or a job interview. Or maybe it's your first day in your new dream job. Whatever it is that you've got going on, you absolutely, positively, have to be there. And it's been a rainy week and your old Peugeot's wipers are out of order, so it's too risky to drive. But you can ride over to where you need to be, and you've got the bike to ride over there. Problem is, for whatever reason, the bikes brakes just aren't quite up to snuff, so you feel a need to upgrade your brakes to something that's a little more capable.

You want good brakes. Expensive (but reasonably priced,) brand-name brakes that are reliable and well designed and made. You have a maximum budget in mind - say, $100-$120 per end, max) but you're open to paying a little more than that if it's worthwhile. Problem is, you can't buy any of the brand-name stuff locally and you need to order it from overseas. It'll take two to three weeks.

But there's this local bike shop - let's call it Ali's Express Bike World - that has a seemingly endless, ready supply of anything and everything you could think of (and things you haven't even dreamed of) to fulfill your every cycling whim. Problem is, ain't nothin' for real at good old Ali's shop, he's been known to sell bogus stuff that's either fake or blatant knocooffs. What to do, what to do?

But gey, Ali's your savior. He's always got your back. And he's generous with the discounts. If he's sold you something with 40 percent off that broke after a week, he'll knock off another 20 percent for a replacement. Ali's a nice guy.

Problem is, old Ali's knockoff brakes don't come with a warranty, and you could die on your way to your race/job interview/job.

Old 11-16-21, 11:35 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
And here I thought Sophie had a hard choice.
Old 11-16-21, 11:39 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I forget, which is cheaper?
Old 11-16-21, 12:05 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Gun to your head: Would you rather...
I'd wrestle the gun away from my assailant, and put a couple of rounds into the server that hosts this forum.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-16-21, 03:15 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Counterfeiters are thieves. Do not support.
Old 11-16-21, 03:26 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I forget, which is cheaper?
The blatant knockoff. And the calipers got four pistons!
Old 11-16-21, 03:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Listen, I think we're getting sidetracked here, and OP has invented a new horror film genre for cyclists--all about a crazed gunman who forces people to buy substandard bike parts.

Genius!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-16-21, 03:42 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Listen, I think we're getting sidetracked here, and OP has invented a new horror film genre for cyclists--all about a crazed gunman who forces people to buy substandard bike parts.

Genius!
Ya think we could get Quintin to direct? Make it his 11th film or something...
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 11-16-21, 03:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Guys, come on. Would it have been more helpful if I had said "do or die" in my OP?

Okay, let's try this again. here's a scenario that I just cooked up that might be a little more realistic: You have a race in the morning. Or a job interview. Or maybe it's your first day in your new dream job. Whatever it is that you've got going on, you absolutely, positively, have to be there. And it's been a rainy week and your old Peugeot's wipers are out of order, so it's too risky to drive. But you can ride over to where you need to be, and you've got the bike to ride over there. Problem is, for whatever reason, the bikes brakes just aren't quite up to snuff, so you feel a need to upgrade your brakes to something that's a little more capable.

You want good brakes. Expensive (but reasonably priced,) brand-name brakes that are reliable and well designed and made. You have a maximum budget in mind - say, $100-$120 per end, max) but you're open to paying a little more than that if it's worthwhile. Problem is, you can't buy any of the brand-name stuff locally and you need to order it from overseas. It'll take two to three weeks.

But there's this local bike shop - let's call it Ali's Express Bike World - that has a seemingly endless, ready supply of anything and everything you could think of (and things you haven't even dreamed of) to fulfill your every cycling whim. Problem is, ain't nothin' for real at good old Ali's shop, he's been known to sell bogus stuff that's either fake or blatant knocooffs. What to do, what to do?

But gey, Ali's your savior. He's always got your back. And he's generous with the discounts. If he's sold you something with 40 percent off that broke after a week, he'll knock off another 20 percent for a replacement. Ali's a nice guy.

Problem is, old Ali's knockoff brakes don't come with a warranty, and you could die on your way to your race/job interview/job.

Learn how to ride without stopping.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-16-21, 03:51 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
(Here's a hint: This is a trick question.)

Gun to your head: Would you rather... buy a brand-name product off of a questionable place like Aliexpress (or Amazon, for that matter) that may or may not be a counterfeit, or would you rather buy a shameless, completely unabashed knockoff that works well enough to do what you need it to do, while being affordable enough for you to just replace the whole thing if and/or when it fails?
The problem with accepting the likelihood of failure? What about the risk to you? Your body.

Knockoff fork? No

Stem? No

Bars? No

Chain? No

Seatpost? No F' way

Saddle? No

Tires? No

Rims? No

Spokes? Maybe (there are 20 of them in a wheel....redundancy built in)

Brake pads? Maybe

Cleats? No

So what is my point? If any of those items fail catastrophically, you could well be on the way to the trauma center. A 2 day stay runs $125,000 in New Jersey. I am only buying the brand and doing my best to make sure they are real
Old 11-17-21, 06:25 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've bought stuff from AliExpress, and it's been top-quality. But I stay away from the cachet names or obvious knock-offs.
Old 11-17-21, 06:48 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
I did vendor/supplier evaluations in the PRC for many years due to heavy industry equipment (foundries) leaving the US for the PRC. It is interesting that culturally the Chinese consider themselves fast followers (counterfeiters really) which might lead you to conclude they can/will make a quality product, however, culturally they also strongly believe in "buyer beware", nothing wrong in screwing someone who is foolish.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 11-17-21, 06:51 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by easyupbug
I did vendor/supplier evaluations in the PRC for many years due to heavy industry equipment (foundries) leaving the US for the PRC. It is interesting that culturally the Chinese consider themselves fast followers (counterfeiters really) which might lead you to conclude they can/will make a quality product, however, culturally they also strongly believe in "buyer beware", nothing wrong in screwing someone who is foolish.
What do you say to the marketing types who say, "but.....they use the same specs as in the USA" (40 years in QA here)
Old 11-17-21, 07:09 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Cheapest thing on a nice bike

is the rider.
Old 11-17-21, 07:11 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I got caught on the KMC high-end chains 2-3 years ago. I broke two. I should have known better because they were the same price as some lower end models.

Old 11-17-21, 07:34 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I don't agree that an "off-brand" offering is a "knock-off". True counterfeits are illegally pretending to be something they're not. As a result, true counterfeits are coming from decidedly sketchy sources. I would never buy or use a true counterfeit component, it's a safety issue at the very least. In contrast, "off brands" are just inexpensive versions of products from less well known brands or manufacturers that don't copy every aspect of the design or use false branding. Also, just because an "off brand" is cheap and Chinese doesn't mean it's crap. Take a look at Dengfu/Hongfu frames for example, they are solid. At the slightly higher end, brands like Winspace or Seka are making some truly nice stuff for a fraction of the price of a major brand. These aren't "knock-offs", they're just budget offerings. I have no problem buying off brands if the offering is known to be good quality.

There's one place where I have some sympathy for counterfeits: sunglasses. This is not really defensible and related to a personal hang-up. I will happily spend absurd amounts of money on bikes and bike clothing but I just can't abide $200+ sunglasses. Sunglasses are (arguably) a non-safety item, the counterfeits are literally indistinguishable from the real ones and the real brands charge (IMO) extortionate prices for their products. Still, even there there you're supporting thieves and buying something you know to be a counterfeit. That's the definition of a poseur. Also, there are plenty of off-brand offerings that work great, look great and don't have the poseur problem (I like the Kapvoe glasses, for example). So, I wear cheap sunglasses with a Kask helmet and Rapha kit...

Last edited by Hiro11; 11-17-21 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-17-21, 09:21 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
... the counterfeits are literally indistinguishable from the real ones and the real brands charge (IMO) extortionate prices for their products. Still, even there there you're supporting thieves and buying something you know to be a counterfeit...
I identify with what you've written. But I'm also conflicted.

Trademark and Patent protections are an essential part of U.S. property law. In America, we obtained these protections very dearly and hold them close. And that's the compromise that you've pointed out in your second sentence (as quoted). It's difficult to be a nation of laws, while the people selectively ignore those laws.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 11-17-21 at 09:22 AM. Reason: errant key strokes removed
Old 11-17-21, 09:52 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
What do you say to the marketing types who say, "but.....they use the same specs as in the USA" (40 years in QA here)
There are exceptions but your comment does apply. If you buy your RD hanger or your surgeon gets your prosthetics made by BMG Ti who make bicycle parts/hangers as well as parts for Airbus, GE, etc., you don't need QA/QC engineers checking things out as they are AS9100 and NADCAP certified. We built project QA/QC teams with Chinese engineering consultants to help as you have to watch everything all the time as these were one off contracts. Coming from a smoke stack industry we all looked at moving operations to the PRC and to make your point, each province has water quality laws very similar to our EPA here but there is zero regulatory enforcement. As late as last year you can not drink the tap water anywhere, even in the $$$$ hotels in Beijing and Shanghai, and you have to have a cleaning plant for river water for use in your smelter but you will save money as you can dump your highly contaminated waste water (lead, arsenic, cadmium, etc.) back in the river.
Fortunately for us the big pharma, Bayer and others, have to do it right.

Last edited by easyupbug; 11-17-21 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-17-21, 10:23 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
In before the close.
Old 11-17-21, 12:22 PM
GhostRider62

I myself would be very careful of knockoffs or counterfeits. It is not possible to entirely avoid them.

I am somewhat familiar with counterfeit medicines out of China, they look identical and the packaging is nearly perfect but the ingredients and impurities? Not so much although they come close. Those are just facts. Same thing with say chains or rims or frames. They come close to OEM but are they close enough.....?
Old 12-08-21, 11:50 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I myself would be very careful of knockoffs or counterfeits. It is not possible to entirely avoid them.

I am somewhat familiar with counterfeit medicines out of China, they look identical and the packaging is nearly perfect but the ingredients and impurities? ...
google melamine dog food baby formula china