Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Off to a Bad Start

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Off to a Bad Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-23, 11:14 AM
instock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
Off to a Bad Start

Hi folks. I am new to biking. I'm mainly interested in getting in shape and riding around with the kids. I got a new bike on December 4th. Sixteen days later, I got hit by a drunk driver. I had surgery to put my collar bone back together, but it could have been way worse. I want to get a new bike, but it's a very awkward feeling. 16 days! Is biking that dangerous or is that a total fluke? Has bicycling changed since I was a kid? Should I even let my kids ride bikes? SMH Should I add lights and cameras? Give me life advice.
Old 05-09-23, 11:29 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 135 Posts
Depends on location. I would definitely attempt again, but on bike paths or trails until you feel more comfortable. Also, get a left mirror if you're riding on the street, so there no surprises from behind.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 05-09-23, 11:33 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 975 Posts
Where were you riding? Are there bike paths or 'Multi-use paths' where you live? I would not ride on the roads with young kids.
Old 05-09-23, 12:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
I had to ride for over fifty-five years before I had a wreck that put me in the ER and briefly in the hospital. So depending on all kinds of things that we can't control, YMMV. And obviously things you really couldn't control played a part in your accident. More experience and better awareness on your part might have let you avoid the crash, but then again and more likely it might not.

So just assess if you are comfortable riding your bike in the places you ride your bike or not. I've had far more people I know killed in car and other motor vehicle wrecks than have been injured much less killed on a bike. Risk is everywhere. I almost was T-boned last year by a car that ran a red-light. But I was in my car when that happened. In fact, more scarey things happen when I'm out on the road in my car than happen when I'm riding my bike. Again, because my circumstances and my riding environment aren't the same as your area, then YMMV.

Should you let your kid's ride bikes? Do you think they won't ride bike if they want to ride bikes? My parents telling me no was probably a sure sign that I'd do something without their knowledge and oversight.

Should you put cameras on your bikes? If you want too. But they'll only be helpful after the accident or whatever they are supposed to be called now. Won't do much for prevention.

Lights should be used for certain in accordance with your state's law on such. Sometimes the requirements change if you are in other jurisdictions within your state such as a city or federal park. I use small blinking lights front and back most every time I ride.

And how, glad you are okay and asking questions. I'd say get back on the bike, but that's your decision. I had a severe concussion with my accident that left me in a fog for almost five months. So I stayed off the bike for that time.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-09-23 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-09-23, 01:00 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
At least you got the broken collar bone out of the way quickly.

Took me 30 years to earn that.
Old 05-09-23, 02:34 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
I can only guess based on decades of conversation with other cyclist, but I'd say that the vast majority of riders have never been hit by a car. A lot have never broken a bone cycling. If cycling were as dangerous (on a per-ride/per-mile basis) as your experience might seem to indicate, no one would ride because everyone would be crippled or in casts.

Pure fluke, or bad karma .... but when person has bad karma, a little suffering is the best thing because you pay your debt and move forward with a clean balance sheet--or so some people tell me.

I'd say, keep riding, stay aware, use lights whenever visibility is at all compromised, and don't worry. Riding is a lot of fun, and it can be a great way to lose weight and get in shape, too. Generally, it is high-pleasure/low-impact.

Likely you could ride daily for the rest of your life and never taste bumper or pavement ever again.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-09-23, 03:47 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
1) As others have said, routing is key. I use Apple Maps to find bike routes that avoid bad roads in our area, Google Maps can also help. Once I have found a route, I look for possibilities for improvement as I use it. 2) As others noted about mirrors, situational awareness is also crucial. Think about how birds have eyes on the sides of their heads - try to keep some awareness of the situation all 360 degrees around you. 3) Try to see the eyes of motorists who are coming into your path. If you can see them looking at you (or better, looking you in the eye) before they take that right or left turn into your path, that's a good sign.
Old 05-09-23, 03:52 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Maybe it was just a fluke, but in my area there is a perception at least that accidents like this are increasing. I've noticed a large uptick in car vs. bike and car vs. pedestrian accidents in the past decade or so, just by reading the daily news. I don't know if the accident rate per capita has actually increased, as we've also seen a big uptick in population over the same timeframe. Some of my friends have been hit, and a friend of a friend was killed a few years ago. So it at least seems to be getting more dangerous to ride around here, and it's something I think about quite a bit.

Something I find interesting is that a high percentage of these accidents involve a driver who is intoxicated with alcohol or drugs, or is otherwise impaired. I favor adopting stricter laws and harsher sentences for these crimes, and we already have pretty strict standards where I live. In many places, I think they could get a lot tougher on people who drive intoxicated.
Old 05-09-23, 04:10 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by instock
Hi folks. I am new to biking. I'm mainly interested in getting in shape and riding around with the kids. I got a new bike on December 4th. Sixteen days later, I got hit by a drunk driver. I had surgery to put my collar bone back together, but it could have been way worse. I want to get a new bike, but it's a very awkward feeling. 16 days! Is biking that dangerous or is that a total fluke? Has bicycling changed since I was a kid? Should I even let my kids ride bikes? SMH Should I add lights and cameras? Give me life advice.
Welcome to the forum. Everything has risks. We are vulnerable as bicyclists. We have to ride very defensively and stay on our situational awareness A game. Riding defensively isn't completely intuitive. It's perhaps different from what a motorist might think. This is a very good quick and easy write up. Take a read. Plug it into your accident and see if there's anything that you would have done differently based upon the write up.

https://bicyclesafe.com/
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-09-23, 04:23 PM
instock

Nah, he was just drunk off his butt. He was all over the road. I wasn't near an intersection or passing a parked car or anything. Nice wide shoulder. Middle of the afternoon. Ironically, his car has active lane assist. If he would have fallen asleep, the car would have been smart enough to stay in the lane automatically!

But there are a bunch of good tips there. I appreciate it.
Likes For instock:
Old 05-09-23, 04:36 PM
instock

Here's my bike. I didn't really ride it long enough to get a sense of whether I even like it. It seems okay. I was thinking of replacing with an identical one so maybe I could have some spare parts? I dunno. Maybe not worth it. Thoughts? The fork is bent and it seems like it is not worth fixing.

<not allowed to add pictures yet>
Old 05-09-23, 04:55 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 975 Posts
pic assist:

It's definitely not worth your while to try to repair this one.
Old 05-09-23, 05:12 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Nah, he was just drunk off his butt. He was all over the road. I wasn't near an intersection or passing a parked car or anything. Nice wide shoulder. Middle of the afternoon. Ironically, his car has active lane assist. If he would have fallen asleep, the car would have been smart enough to stay in the lane automatically!

But there are a bunch of good tips there. I appreciate it.
Sometimes the very best we can do isn't good enough. Impaired drivers make our jobs difficult. Glad you are okay.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-09-23, 06:10 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 414 Posts
You aren’t any more likely to die riding a bike than driving a car. And the health benefits of cycling will decrease your odds of dying from many other causes. Like driving, after you ride for awhile you’ll start to develop reflexes and something like a sixth sense (situational awareness) of what is going on around you, and your thoughts odds of hitting or being hit by something will decrease. But like any other outdoor physical sport, you have to expect some amount of risk.
Old 05-10-23, 06:01 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
pic assist:

It's definitely not worth your while to try to repair this one.
I see a lot of potential here, perhaps buying all brand new bits from Amazon and convert it into hybrid. Hope AaronM can be of assistance.
Old 05-10-23, 06:19 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
holy smokes, I'm glad you're ok now. That's a brutal start to something that was supposed to be healthy. Def put quality lights on your next bike, and as some have said, maybe stick to multi use paths for now, especially with the kids.
Old 05-10-23, 06:40 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I've been hit 3 times since 1995
Old 05-10-23, 09:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
get well soon. I like paved multiuse trails & dirt trails away from cars
Old 05-10-23, 01:22 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I doubt there's isn't much any of us could do to avoid a drunk driver. I've always ridden with an Italian Road Bike mirror which I like a lot. Last year I got a Garmin Varia radar unit for the rear of my bike and it is worth whatever you have to pay for it..I can't imagine riding on the road without one.
Old 05-10-23, 01:32 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
I'd replace the bike and keep what you can of the old one for spares .... or buy a bike you like better. Always a good time for that.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-10-23, 02:11 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
The insurance should get you a new bike. I'm 77, never been hit, ride on the road 99% of the time, but I try to use low traffic rural roads as much as possible. I'll often put the bike on the car and drive to somewhere there's good riding.

I advise bright blinkies fore and aft, bright enough to be seen at least a mile away in bright daylight, always on whenever you're on the bike.

That's a mountain bike. I know, you see a lot of people riding them on city streets, but a bike build for riding on the road or a paved path works better for riding on those surfaces. MTBs are built for riding on the dirt. They're really popular for starter bike because they have very low gears.

How old are the kids?
Old 05-10-23, 08:03 PM
instock

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The insurance should get you a new bike. I'm 77, never been hit, ride on the road 99% of the time, but I try to use low traffic rural roads as much as possible. I'll often put the bike on the car and drive to somewhere there's good riding.

I advise bright blinkies fore and aft, bright enough to be seen at least a mile away in bright daylight, always on whenever you're on the bike.

That's a mountain bike. I know, you see a lot of people riding them on city streets, but a bike build for riding on the road or a paved path works better for riding on those surfaces. MTBs are built for riding on the dirt. They're really popular for starter bike because they have very low gears.

How old are the kids?
Yeah, GEICO totaled my bike and didn't even depreciate it at all since it was only 16 days old. They gave me the full purchase price.

I'm definitely going to put some more lights and mirrors and stuff this time. I was wearing a gray shirt and blue jeans and a gray bike. There were some shadows from the trees. So I do wonder if that played a role. It was the middle of the afternoon, but for a sufficiently drunk guy, I guess I could disappear. Maybe a bright blinking light would have cut through that drunken haze and this never would have happened.

Kids are 6 and 10. They both have mountain bikes. We haven't done much off pavement, but that is mainly because my 6yo isn't that confident riding the 2-wheeler. There is a little pump track by us that they like. I think we'll be doing a lot more trails in the future. Maybe a hybrid would work for me, but I sort of think my bike should be the same as theirs? And I don't mind those low gears. I dunno. I've never been on a road bike in my life.
Old 05-10-23, 08:17 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Sounds like this advice wouldn’t have helped in your crash, but something you should look into: a class on riding in traffic. Sometimes these are called “Effective Cycling” classes. Local clubs often offer such classes. They’re kind of like a defensive driving class, except for bikes.
Old 05-10-23, 08:33 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like it may just need a new wheel and fork (but that could very well cost more than the cost of the complete bike). Might only need a new front wheel, but in the pic those fork legs don't look like they're on the same plane anymore.

Safety in riding from home kinda depends on your location. I can relatively safely ride within the one square mile where I live but that square mile is surrounded by 3 roads that are guaranteed death to ride on and the fourth road surrounding my neighborhood is a low traffic relatively low speed (30 mph) road with only one lane of travel in each direction but very wide lanes. I usually have to carefully scoot across one of those death roads to go anywhere desirable safely.

The city has a nice map of car-free paths and once I get to one of those paths I can ride for days only occasionally having to cross traffic or ride with traffic. Many people drive to parking areas near the paths to start their rides.

Always be wary of drivers, try to anticipate their movements, expecting them to do the wrong thing at any given moment, tough to anticipate a DWI or distracted driver though.. Look behind you over your left shoulder before passing by any road or driveway, also look ahead and to the left for left turners and drivers looking to cross the road you're on. If you have to ride on the sidewalk in a commercial district, expect cars to exit businesses and enter the sidewalk without looking for you.

DEFINITELY go for front and rear flashing lights for daytime use if you're going to ride on roads.
Old 05-10-23, 09:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Yeah, GEICO totaled my bike and didn't even depreciate it at all since it was only 16 days old. They gave me the full purchase price.

I'm definitely going to put some more lights and mirrors and stuff this time. I was wearing a gray shirt and blue jeans and a gray bike. There were some shadows from the trees. So I do wonder if that played a role. It was the middle of the afternoon, but for a sufficiently drunk guy, I guess I could disappear. Maybe a bright blinking light would have cut through that drunken haze and this never would have happened.

Kids are 6 and 10. They both have mountain bikes. We haven't done much off pavement, but that is mainly because my 6yo isn't that confident riding the 2-wheeler. There is a little pump track by us that they like. I think we'll be doing a lot more trails in the future. Maybe a hybrid would work for me, but I sort of think my bike should be the same as theirs? And I don't mind those low gears. I dunno. I've never been on a road bike in my life.
Yeah, maybe so. You don't want them to have bike envy. And stay off roads with them. I could ride on the road when I was 10, solo, but I'd started riding to school by myself at 7. There's a lot to it, a lot to learn and experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.