Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

pre-race bike prep

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

pre-race bike prep

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 11:10 AM
ReseRved

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pre-race bike prep

Apologies for posting out of forum etiquette as I'm sure there is a thread somewhere is the search function that covers these concerns, but as a newbie to BF I'm not sure how else to quickly address these concerns. I'll be competing in my first bike race Saturday (24 hrs of Adrenaline at Laguna Seca) and am wondering whether to switch out wear parts like my shift cables, chain, and maybe the cassette. My bike (07 felt Virture) has about 250-300 miles and rides well, but suffers occasional ghost shifts and the pedaling moiton seems somehow less "smooth" than when new. What I don't want to do is have to fully dial-in both dereailer, shifters, and cables and wind up no better off than before. I regularly clean and lube the bike after rides. At this point are simple adjustments more advisable than replacement of the said items? Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by ReseRved; 04-28-08 at 11:17 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 04-28-08, 02:14 PM
bmx_boy2001
a crazy game of poker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
these should help. use this site for basically any fix your may need in the future.

https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=158
Old 04-28-08, 03:18 PM
Frunkin
nom nom nom

Bikes: Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would replace cables and housing, depending on how it feels. Your chain and cassette should be fine.

How do you decide to do a 24hr race as your first race? Do you have a good light set up or a support team?
Old 04-28-08, 03:42 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You shouldn't need to replace these parts after only 250-300 miles. If you're experiencing shifting troubles, it's most likely just an adjustment issue. I wouldn't go switching out parts with less than a week before your race. Even if you're just doing adjustments, I'd take time in the next couple of days to make sure things are dialed in and there won't be any surprises Saturday.

Old 04-28-08, 04:18 PM
ReseRved

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm only picking up 2 laps on a team of 6 or 7...plus its a company team that I was coerced into so they can't expect too much from me. I'm pretty fired up none-the-less. I think I'll be OK with some careful adjustment.