Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clipless fall at zero mph - Actually injured ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clipless fall at zero mph - Actually injured ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 10:59 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fell at very close to 0 mph (not due to my pedals - a dog ran into my wheel while I was climbing) and dislocated my elbow. Man, did that injury suck. It's been exactly a year now and the stupid thing still hurts.
Old 11-02-09, 11:01 AM
fast

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by eippo1
You need to go to your nearest field and practice track stands.
+1

https://video.google.com/videosearch?...&hl=en&tab=wv#

Old 11-02-09, 11:54 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
The best way to fall is like urbanknight here... he landed on his feet in the far right of the picture
Unforunately I was right in front of him, his bike hit mine, and even though I had managed at first to avoid the guy who had gone down, urb's impact with me knocked me over. I got out of my pedals but was falling on top of the guy so had nowhere to put it. So it was a slow speed tipover of sorts, and you can see in the picture my arm sticking out slowing the fall.
Moral of the story: If you're going to fall, be the last one to do so.
Old 11-02-09, 12:03 PM
FreddyV

Bikes: Giant OCR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll be honest. You failed, bad!

Don't mind me though, I did it too. I smashed my knee on the curb and actually got a pretty nice road rash from it. So yeah, we both failed.

Though, seriously... If you actually feel like something may be wrong, have it looked at.
Old 11-02-09, 01:32 PM
Slee_Stack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consider the term EVERYBODY as a figure of speech.

If it is not unreasonable to assume a majority (> 50%) of people do something, than just accept that EVERYBODY does it.

What I hate is SEMANTICS. It does NOBODY (< 50%) any good. ;P

I've fallen twice with clipless, both times on the first day I used them. The main reason being that the tension was set far too high for me just 'learning' to use them. I really needed to yank my feet to get out of them at the time.
Old 11-02-09, 02:25 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hyperbole
Old 11-02-09, 03:07 PM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I fell twice when I first got clippless pedals, back in the mid 90's. Both times I came to a stop and couldn't get my damned foot out in time. Both times I put a bent arm down to break the fall, and it worked without any injury.

In that situation, getting an arm out reduces the fall by about 2 feet. Keeping your hands on the bar and falling onto your shoulder means you have an additional 2 feet to build up speed before hitting the ground much harder. If you do it right, using your hand/arm to cushion the fall works.

Old 11-03-09, 06:24 AM
Jkirkland

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale Caad 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fell the first time I used my clipless pedals. Though I did remember to unclip, what I didn't know was to use the heal of your shoe. Who would have guessed thats why there is rubber tread at the heal of the shoes?!? I proceed to slide sideways and in reaction threw my weight to the other side where I was still clipped in. The best way to learn is through pain I guess because I have never had a problem since.