Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What tent?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What tent?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 11:10 AM
Trentkln27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What tent?

I'm looking for a decent prices tent that won't weigh to much. I'm really kicking around buying the Alps mountaineering lynx one or lynx 2 because the realativly cheap and seem to be good qaulity. Would these work well for touring or are the other tents that are nicer without costing much more. I just want to know I have a good tent on tour
Old 01-10-17, 12:32 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
A lot of the solo riders like the Eureka tents for cost to weight ratio. To improve your chances of getting good recommendations, please tell us about your trip plans. Are you going to travel where it might snow or get really windy? Do you need a tent for one person? Do you plan to wild/stealth/free camp?
Old 01-10-17, 12:47 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak
A lot of the solo riders like the Eureka tents for cost to weight ratio.
Yes, I've had the Eureka Spitfire-1 for a couple years now. It has a little more headroom than the Lynx-1 and weighs almost a pound less. Not freestanding, but all that's needed are two tie-down points (rocks, etc.) for the two ends. I find that the solo model has more than enough room for me and my gear. But the Alps models look like good value options as well.
Old 01-10-17, 01:17 PM
sexy cyclist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eureka Solitaire. Lighter than any tent I've seen under 200$, costs 75$, enough room for a 6'4 person and all their gear, plenty of ventilation for warm nights, rain fly for windy / rainy nights, only requires four stakes.

Packs up pretty small. I can fit mine in a revelate tangle or viscacha easily. I used it for a two week 1400 mile tour across the southern US, and its been handy for overnight trips to the lake.

I've had mine for a decade now and still use the stock parts without issue. I've seen other reviewers have issues with the poles but mine have been going strong this entire time.
Old 01-10-17, 01:25 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sexy cyclist
Eureka Solitaire. Lighter than any tent I've seen under 200$, costs 75$, enough room for a 6'4 person and all their gear, plenty of ventilation for warm nights, rain fly for windy / rainy nights, only requires four stakes.

Packs up pretty small. I can fit mine in a revelate tangle or viscacha easily. I used it for a two week 1400 mile tour across the southern US, and its been handy for overnight trips to the lake.

I've had mine for a decade now and still use the stock parts without issue. I've seen other reviewers have issues with the poles but mine have been going strong this entire time.
Used my Solitaire for over a dozen years before I got the Spitfire. It does have enough room, but the height is very limited. Fine for sleeping, but not so good for sitting up and reading on a stormy day - or even for changing clothes comfortably. I did have one pole (smaller one) break on a backpacking trip and replaced it with an aluminum one (Solitaire has fiberglass poles). Breakage seems more common on recent purchases based on reviews
Old 01-10-17, 01:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Going Where , when?

Freestanding tents with separate rain Flys are a challenge to put up in a high wind.

+1 get 6061-T6 aluminum poles ... leave the Fiberglass poles for Car Camping.
(when they break You can always sleep in the Car)

'/,
Old 01-10-17, 01:44 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Alps gear is a pretty good value.

Big Agnes makes some extremely light tents. I've been using a Big Agnes Emerald Mountain tent for 10 years now. It has a couple holes in the screen and some zipper rash, but it's light and still keeps me dry.
They have excellent customer service, too. I wrote them about ordering some replacement aluminum pole sections; a couple of mine got bent after a fool fell on my tent. Big Agnes sent me three pole sections for free!

I search the internet vendors (like Campmor, Sierra Trading Post, etc) for closeout deals.
Old 01-10-17, 01:52 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I have a Eureka Apex 2, originally purchased for backpacking. It has been a great tent for the past 15 years or so, it was $99 back then. Not the lightest, nearly 5.5# in original stuff sack packaging and with homemade footprint, but plenty of room and I've never had an issue with it. I'd buy a Eureka again, and I see that line hasn't really gone up in price in 15 years.

I just bought a Big Agnes Tumble 2 at REIs garage sale for $99, brand new but apparently missing a piece (something that ties the two poles together where they cross, can replace with velcro). Same sized tent, but I didn't like the rainfly on the Eureka (they have changed it to something better since then) for the high wind environment I'm going to next. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it is about 1.5# lighter than the Eureka. My only complaint is that it's not staying in factory stuff packaging, the poles elongate the stuff sack too much.
Old 01-10-17, 02:10 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm impressed! My pole shattered on the 3rd night of use

Originally Posted by niknak
A lot of the solo riders like the Eureka tents for cost to weight ratio.
+1

Originally Posted by prathmann
Yes, I've had the Eureka Spitfire-1 for a couple years now. It has a little more headroom than the Lynx-1 and weighs almost a pound less. Not freestanding, but all that's needed are two tie-down points (rocks, etc.) for the two ends. I find that the solo model has more than enough room for me and my gear. But the Alps models look like good value options as well.
+1

I used the Eureka Spitfire 1 (also called the "Solo") for the last part of my 2016 tour and I'll take it again on the Southern Tier this year. Great tent. You can find it for ~$75 on sale otherwise they run ~$110.

As noted above, a lot of solo riders like the Eureka tents. The Spitfire 1 sleeps two comfortably if you're on the smaller size like my sister and I.
Old 01-10-17, 02:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
You can find a plethora of recent tent recommendations by using the Advance Search function:

Bike Forums - Search Forums

Search the Touring forum for "Tent" in titles only.
Old 01-10-17, 02:47 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 240 Posts
tents, buy cheap, buy two times. without any doubt Hilleberg Akto.
Old 01-10-17, 02:50 PM
sexy cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
Used my Solitaire for over a dozen years before I got the Spitfire. It does have enough room, but the height is very limited. Fine for sleeping, but not so good for sitting up and reading on a stormy day - or even for changing clothes comfortably. I did have one pole (smaller one) break on a backpacking trip and replaced it with an aluminum one (Solitaire has fiberglass poles). Breakage seems more common on recent purchases based on reviews
This is true, height is definitely limited. I prop myself up on an elbow to read at night, otherwise I pretty much use it solely for sleeping. I often pitch my tent next to something I can use to sit on if I want, if not I pack up and bike until I find a good place to take an early morning break. For example here I camped at some baseball fields. Ate dinner at some covered picnic tables, as well as breakfast the next morning:

If you're looking for a tent you can hang out in for hours after waking, the solitaire is most likely not for you. If you want something that will let you comfortably sleep and not weigh you down excessively during the day, its great.

I wonder if they changed something in the pole construction? If anyone wants I could post my decade old poles that are still going strong so they can compare them to theirs.

Last edited by sexy cyclist; 01-10-17 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 02:53 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by str
tents, buy cheap, buy two times. without any doubt Hilleberg Akto.
There is a difference between "cheap", and "inexpensive". Lots of inexpensive options that will last you for years, not everyone's budget calls for a $530 tent.
Old 01-10-17, 03:02 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
There is a difference between "cheap", and "inexpensive". Lots of inexpensive options that will last you for years, not everyone's budget calls for a $530 tent.
v e n t i l a t i o n and material of the Hilleberg tents is not reached by any other brand.
Old 01-10-17, 03:09 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by str
v e n t i l a t i o n and material of the Hilleberg tents is not reached by any other brand.
I'm sure they are quality, just as I am sure if I looked I could find an even more quality option that cost even more, but that does not mean the likes of BA, Eureka, Mountain Hardware, Marmot, REI, etc are cheap and that if you buy one, you are immediately going to regret not having a Hillenberg.
Old 01-10-17, 07:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts

Wallball is totally ol' skool!
Old 01-10-17, 07:46 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
REI quarter dome 1 is on sale for $170, https://www.rei.com/product/862421/r...er-dome-1-tent

It gets good reviews and REI has a heck of a return policy. Nice size and good weight.
Old 01-10-17, 08:08 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by bikemig
REI has a heck of a return policy
Yup, this cannot be overstated. At the aforementioned last Garage Sale I attended, there was a decade old REI tent someone had managed to return being sold, and I quote (well, paraphrase) "bungee cord in poles is not strong enough anymore".

Lot of other otherwise new looking returned tents being sold off too, because they "aren't rainproof"
Old 01-10-17, 09:42 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yup, this cannot be overstated. At the aforementioned last Garage Sale I attended, there was a decade old REI tent someone had managed to return being sold, and I quote (well, paraphrase) "bungee cord in poles is not strong enough anymore".
Got a pair of hiking boots at one of those sales. The tag gave as the reason for the return "Were labeled as waterproof but when I got home I stood in the bathtub for 45 minutes and one started to leak." Marked down as a returned item from the original $170 to $0.88. Figure I'll try to get across any streams I encounter in half an hour or less.
Old 01-10-17, 11:46 PM
Trentkln27

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I plan on some stealth camping. Mostly weekend tours with short days and possibly a long cross country tour
Old 01-10-17, 11:58 PM
sexy cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trentkln27
I plan on some stealth camping. Mostly weekend tours with short days and possibly a long cross country tour
Looking for a tent for sleeping or a tent for lounging in? That's something you'll want to decide before settling on a specific model.
Old 01-11-17, 12:01 AM
Trentkln27

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Looking for a tent for sleeping or a tent for lounging in? That's something you'll want to decide before settling on a specific model.
I will do alot of lounging in my tent
Old 01-11-17, 12:46 AM
sexy cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Then ignore my suggestion and good luck finding the right tent!
Old 01-11-17, 01:01 AM
madscot13

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh golly, I think that is a bit heavy although at a great price point. Perhaps look into the REI tents. They REi quarterdome is a little bit more than the lynx but substantially lighter. I have owned the quarterdome t3 for almost 8yrs now and love it dearly as a good balance of cost, weight, and price (especially when on sale). I has been on a few epic week trips, weekend trips, overnighters, and a summit without a problem. It has done well this whole time.

I have not found the alps mountaineering equipment the best equipment but I have only owned a few pieces. I do not know what you do w the rest of your time but the quarterdome T3 weighs less than the tent you mentioned and probably has only a little bit larger bulk. You could roomily go on other tours/ hikes w 2-3 people. Someone has also stated about the light weight of Big Agnes tents. I do not own one and have not used one so I cannot comment other than that on paper they look great.

cheers
Old 01-11-17, 04:25 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Alps Mountaineering are good value for money. Been using one for a few tours.
What ever tent you get, see if you can pitch the fly first, called external pitch. Some tents will allow this with a "footprint", a second floor if you like. This means if it's raining you can pitch the outer, then unpack and set up the inner in the dry. Same goes when packing up. Pull down the inner, pack up your stuff into your bags under shelter and at the last minute drop the outer. I carry ours in two bags, one for the inner and one for the outer.
Other things to look for: Decent ventilation on the fly, either large weather protected vents that can be propped open, or double ended zippers on the vestibule openings, so you can open the top to allow condensation out. If you aren't stealth camping, reflective ropes are good. Lots of internal pockets are good. Side vestibules are good, so you can easily get stuff out of your bags while laying in bed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.