Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Upgraded shoes, cleat rattle.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 07:13 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts

MTB shoes with LX level pedals used on a gravel bike.

By old shoes never made much noise, just a squeak or two, I never liked how the rode though. My "new" shoes are basically what I want, carbon, almost zero flex, ratcheting buckles. Essentially my road shoes except SPD compatible. I now get a chatter over bumps between the pedal and shoe. I have the same play as before but it's much looser play, if that makes sense.

I've got a few ideas to fix it.
-Glue something soft to the shoe (felt) before mounting the cleats. This would probably absorb the chatter and not squeak like a piece of old tube would.
-Replace the cleats. $250 shoes for $35 on eBay, these are nowhere near new. In good shape but clearly have miles on them.
-New pedals. Absolutely nothing wrong with mine but there might be designs that hold the cleat with less float.
-Headphones

Am I alone with this problem?
Old 03-28-19, 05:57 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
So you replaced the shoes but not the pedals? If the shoes are new the cleats should be new so there should be no problem there. And I assume you lubed the cleats with the right lube? I therefore think, though I don't think to well, that the pedal interface wore to the old shoes, when you replace the shoes there is now slop where the new and old meet, HOWEVER before you go to nuts over what I said, some shoes and pedals are just plain noisy and there isn't anything that can be done, so you can try riding your bike and turn your feet outward and see if the noise increases or decreases, then turn your foot inward and listen, if the noise gets better in any of those tries than there is an issue with either the cleat or the pedal or the two simply aren't made for each other. Then if you have another set of new or even used cleats try them and see if anything changes, if not then either then there is some sort of issue with the shoe and pedal that maybe just natural or the pedal is worn. So before replacing the pedal try using your chain lube on the cleat and pedal contact points, if that doesn't work then rub candle wax onto the cleat and pedal contact points, and get it on enough so you can see it, and see what happens, candle wax is thicker then cleat lube and it may quiet it down, but it will only keep it quiet for a couple of rides so keep a candle always available for redoing if it works.. The last thing you want to do is replace the pedal, it could be that the combination of shoe and pedal your using isn't 100% compatible and that will be the way it will be.
Old 03-28-19, 07:49 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
If I understand the OPs post he bought used shoes, which is fine. But if you have not installed new cleats that’s bad. Most likely problem to troubleshoot first is check the installation of the cleats. They could be lose or grime and corrosion could have worked it’s way between the shoes, cleats, mounting plate and mounting hardware. Remove the cleats take out the insoles, inspect and clean everything throughly and install new cleats.

Another thought: are these really expensive brand name shoes or are they a knock off? Could be a reason someone decided to let them go. Whatever the case, a thorough inspection, cleaning and new cleats should help. Check for unusual wear, abnormalities, anything cracked, bent, or broken. Best of luck troubleshooting your issue!

Old 03-28-19, 08:28 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

They are Shimano carbon sole mountain bike shoes.

I did one ride where they rattled, before the next ride I adjusted the cleats to a position I liked better. Neither time were they loose. Not cracked. Not worn out.

I do have a relatively new pair of cleats I'll put on before my next ride. The ones that came with them were pretty worn.
Old 03-31-19, 04:56 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

FWIW, I put the relatively new cleats on. Then I covered the carbon fiber area in front and behind the cleats with moleskin.

No more rattle and no more loose float.