Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Netflix TdF 2022 documentary--they still race bikes, you know!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-23, 08:04 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts

Even if they're not steel.

We will happily watch this, it'll fit right in after the Dauphine'.

I wonder how many retro-grouches here follow today's bike racing, at all? Might see if I can run a poll. For me, and my family, it's the only sport we follow.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 06-05-23 at 09:19 PM.
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 06-05-23, 09:10 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
I wonder how many retro-grouches here follow today's bike racing, at all?
For my part, I never did and probably never will.

For me, sports are not something I watch or read about, they are something I do.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 06-05-23 at 11:20 PM.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 06-05-23, 09:22 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
I've followed bike racing since the days of Anquetil and Poulidor. When I was in my mid-20s, I dated the stepdaughter of a then-well-known sportswriter, Red Smith. When we visited him and his wife, he courteously showed me a bunch of memorabilia, including Joe Frazier's (huge) boxing gloves from his Muhammad Ali fight. Showed me some baseball and basketball stuff, and then gave up, when it was obvious I knew nothing about those sports or any others he mentioned.

Unbeknownst to me, he'd also covered the Tour de France (in France) for the New York Times or the Herald Tribune. We could have talked about Merckx or Bahamontes or Geminiani or Ocana or . . .
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-05-23, 10:01 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Red Smith in his later years used to appear on NPR quite regularly, with one of the hosts (Bob Edwards!) who clearly idolized him. I knew very little about the events, usually long-past, he was recounting, but he was such an amazing storyteller, by the end of one of those pieces I'd almost feel like I had been there.

I just looked it up and Smith died in 1982, so I would only have heard him on NPR for a few years in my post-college life, and it was a long time ago! Still a vivid memory.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I've followed bike racing since the days of Anquetil and Poulidor. When I was in my mid-20s, I dated the stepdaughter of a then-well-known sportswriter, Red Smith. When we visited him and his wife, he courteously showed me a bunch of memorabilia, including Joe Frazier's (huge) boxing gloves from his Muhammad Ali fight. Showed me some baseball and basketball stuff, and then gave up, when it was obvious I knew nothing about those sports or any others he mentioned.

Unbeknownst to me, he'd also covered the Tour de France (in France) for the New York Times or the Herald Tribune. We could have talked about Merckx or Bahamontes or Geminiani or Ocana or . . .

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 06-09-23 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-06-23, 01:44 PM
Retoocs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Racing today is boring. Lots of tempo riding to wear everyone out. Everything is too calculated.

Racing in the 80-90's was way more entertaining and unpredictable. Riders all had bad days due to environmental factors including food poisoning. Riders going through home towns got to ride out in front to see their families. They don't do that anymore.
Likes For Retoocs:
Old 06-06-23, 06:57 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,405 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Retoocs
Racing today is boring. Lots of tempo riding to wear everyone out. Everything is too calculated.

Racing in the 80-90's was way more entertaining and unpredictable. Riders all had bad days due to environmental factors including food poisoning. Riders going through home towns got to ride out in front to see their families. They don't do that anymore.
Well…different points of view, no? Racing is no less unpredictable now than at any other time, it’s just covered more comprehensively.
Look at the recent Giro: lots of first time stage winners, headliners dropping out, an Old Guy who almost won, and a last stage winner. By 20 seconds.
They still have local riders in front through their towns, which is pretty neat.
Old 06-06-23, 08:41 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
I enjoy watching the Pro bike racing on Peacock, GCN, Flo and Super Sport.

Even though the modern racing is all about the "Marginal Gains" strategy, I really do enjoy the excellent camera work and scenery of the locations. Last years Tour de France Stage 11 was edge of your seat exciting. I'll make sure and catch this documentary.

Last edited by Manny66; 06-10-23 at 01:12 PM.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 06-06-23, 11:53 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Bob Roll enthusiast here.
YouTube summaries are enough for me otherwise.
Old 06-07-23, 05:52 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
+ 1 on both of these.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-07-23, 06:40 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Thanks for the tip, never thought of watching that way.
Old 06-07-23, 07:02 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
I was super into following bike racing in the late 70s and 80s. The English invasion! Wonderful time!
The Armstrong era was fun at the first but that faded away quickly. The corrupt nature of the sport in that era drove me away. From Phil and Paul to friendly George, Trek, know one seemed to own up to anything. Frauds. Narcissists.
I wonder how much of this rocked Robin Williams? There were so many casualties.
Old 06-08-23, 08:50 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
https://flixable.com/out/biking-borders/

This is also on Netflix.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 06-08-23, 09:36 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Pedal bike racing is fun to watch.. sometimes. But the grueling uphill's kinda kill it for me.
I can't empathize because I don't particularly like riding uphill.
What is exciting to me is the downhill runs.
Watching them cut the kerbs and the occasional front wheel slide/save action and high sides is about it. Same reason I love Moto3.
The part I can't deal with is the pile ups. I'd rather watch a train wreck or a boxing match.
The human misery of zero protection from having a leg/arm (insert body part here) caught in someone else's equipment and forcefully assisted to move in unnatural directions disturbs my peace of mind.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 06-08-23, 10:23 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
1. I love watching TdF early in the morning on a weekend with a lot of coffee. I successfully use a laptop, GCN and a VPN to put it on a big flat screen.
2. After attending the world championships in Richmond 2015, I have a different perspective on what races are like.
3. Cycling benefits from good TV coverage more than most sports.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 06-08-23, 10:28 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
I follow a lot of bike racing - road, CX, gravel, and MTB - and I'm looking forward to watching this series. I hope it's done as well as "Formula 1: Drive to Survive".
Old 06-08-23, 10:31 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Trials on pedal bikes IS fun. I could watch more of that.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 06-08-23, 10:54 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
I've been a fan for the past decade. My favorite races are either one-day classics, or non-mountaintop tour stages where the breakaway just barely stays away, or doesn't. And we are in something of a golden age at the moment with some top level riders that are all-rounders- Van Der Poel, Van Aert, Pogacar. Great stuff.
Old 06-08-23, 02:47 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
No spoilers, Giro was good this year. I will watch the tour, by the vuelta, I'm kinda bored. On demand is nice if you don't want to watch the 4 hours. Fast forward is nice. Never watched on-topic racing, only off-topic starting with LeMond.
Likes For iab:
Old 06-09-23, 10:08 AM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
I'm grateful of the endless content past and present but don't care enough to follow any pro sports these days. Have my reasons but that's not saying I don't go as an occasional spectator. The only current sporting event televised that gets my pulse up is MotoGP.

That said and for pro cycling, I'll once in awhile catch an abbreviated recorded event, stage etc.. The video technology is phenomenal. Zero following any rider nor really know who's the star these days.

Also enjoy the converted old footage and youtube uploads of early era races and documentary. Much of it euro to even former eastern bloc. The shorts by British Pathe are pretty neat as well. Should add there's some great uploads of mid-century home footage of amateur racing, later narration by old timers.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 06-09-23, 10:33 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
I watched the first 2 episodes of "TdF: Unchained" last night. I thought it was excellent, and on par with the "F1 - Drive to Survive" series.
Old 06-09-23, 10:34 AM
jackbombay

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Retoocs
My plan to make racing more exciting.

No radios.

Some guys went up the road? You don't know how far ahead they are? You have two choices, man up and reel them in, or potentially finish the stage after they do.

No power meters, you are a professional athlete, you should know how hard your body is working.

No heart rate monitors, you are a professional athlete, you should know how hard your body is working.

Bike computers can only show distance travelled, nothing else, the course is clearly marked, there is no need for computer navigation
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 06-09-23, 10:43 AM
Retoocs

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
My plan to make racing more exciting.

No radios.

Some guys went up the road? You don't know how far ahead they are? You have two choices, man up and reel them in, or potentially finish the stage after they do.

No power meters, you are a professional athlete, you should know how hard your body is working.

No heart rate monitors, you are a professional athlete, you should know how hard your body is working.

Bike computers can only show distance travelled, nothing else, the course is clearly marked, there is no need for computer navigation
You learn to race at the amateur level without radios, they can live without them. Yes, life will be tougher. But riders need to think on their own. They can always drop back to the team car to chat.

There is still the motorcycle with the chalkboard to tell you the gaps.

Power meters and hr monitors should be allowed, but like track cycling, the rider can't see the data.
Old 06-09-23, 12:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I watched the first 2 episodes of "TdF: Unchained" last night. I thought it was excellent, and on par with the "F1 - Drive to Survive" series.
concur

I watched the first episode......and second is plan for tonight

some of the crashes hurt to watch

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-09-23, 01:24 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
For the first couple episodes I kind of "meh" Then I saw a tip on Twitter to turn off the dubbing and watch in in the original French with subtitles. It's vastly better that way. There's also a podcast diving deep into each episode for those who want to get below the surface. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...t/id1691307629
Old 06-09-23, 04:16 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
in the original French with subtitles. It's vastly better that way.
Well, if a Frenchman could win the race, I may see your point.

Just kidding.

Last French win, 1985. Last Bears Superbowl win, 1985. Coincidence? I think not. I'm all in on the French if we have a Bears win this January. No French for 2023, guaranteed.
Likes For iab:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.