Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

68 vs. 68/73

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

68 vs. 68/73

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 12:09 PM
climbhoser

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
68 vs. 68/73

So, I need a new BB and I found a great deal on one from an online shop that has everything else I need at a great price. But, the spindle length I need is 113 and the BB with that spindle length is stated as a 68/73 instead of just 68 like the 108 sl is. What the heck does 68/73 mean and will it work?

BTW, I have a Cannondale 3.0 with Suntour GPX cranks, so if anyone can correct me on the spindle length I would appreciate that, too. This was what my mechanic said, but he's messed up before (always paid for it himself, though).

Thanks
Old 03-16-08, 01:50 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climbhoser
So, I need a new BB and I found a great deal on one from an online shop that has everything else I need at a great price. But, the spindle length I need is 113 and the BB with that spindle length is stated as a 68/73 instead of just 68 like the 108 sl is. What the heck does 68/73 mean and will it work?

BTW, I have a Cannondale 3.0 with Suntour GPX cranks, so if anyone can correct me on the spindle length I would appreciate that, too. This was what my mechanic said, but he's messed up before (always paid for it himself, though).

Thanks
68/73 means the bottom bracket will work in both 68mm and 73mm bottom bracket shells. If the frame's BB shell is 73mm, you use the bottom bracket alone. If the frame has a 68mm BB shell, then you use a spacer along with the BB (the spacer is typically provided).

So, if your frame has a 68mm bottom bracket shell then yes, the 68/73 will work. You'll just have to use the spacer.
Old 03-16-08, 03:46 PM
climbhoser

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awesome, thanks man!
Old 08-07-08, 03:18 PM
twowheeltom
more spin, less brake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peek the Geek
68/73 means the bottom bracket will work in both 68mm and 73mm bottom bracket shells. If the frame's BB shell is 73mm, you use the bottom bracket alone. If the frame has a 68mm BB shell, then you use a spacer along with the BB (the spacer is typically provided).

So, if your frame has a 68mm bottom bracket shell then yes, the 68/73 will work. You'll just have to use the spacer.
Does the spacer go on the drive or non-drive side? Or maybe two smaller spacers on each side?

I'm just quoting for reference. If anyone can help, please do.
Old 08-07-08, 04:03 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twowheeltom
Does the spacer go on the drive or non-drive side? Or maybe two smaller spacers on each side?

I'm just quoting for reference. If anyone can help, please do.
Depends on the type. In my experience, the spacer goes on the drive side for ISIS and on the non-drive side for external (Hollowtech II). I can't say for sure if this applies to all types, though.

Check the internet for the tech documents of the BB you're using. Most manufacturers have these instructions available for download (or just RTFM if that's handy).