Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Strava app sensor pairing - Alternative?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 04:00 AM

Bikes: Cinelli SC 1971, Daccordi 1985

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I have a QuadLock Cadence Sensor and Strava has killed the external device pairing. Is there any other app that supports ANT+ or Bluetooth devices on iOS?
https://www.quadlockcase.eu/products...21642772906066

https://support.quadlockcase.com/hc/...Cadence-sensor
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/...the-trash.html
Old 09-02-20, 08:16 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I use the Wahoo Fitness app on my Android and iPhone. It's free, simple and functional and works with all of my ANT+ and Bluetooth sensors. However to use my ANT+ sensors I needed an ANT+ adapter (2012 era Wahoo) for my old iPhone. I don't have an ANT+ adapter for my Android phone.

In paid apps, Cyclemeter is very good. I used it a couple of years ago.

For outdoor rides I mostly use a XOSS G+ bike computer now, but still use the iPhone 4s with ANT+ adapter and sensors for indoor trainer sessions.

All of these will upload data to Strava.
Old 09-02-20, 11:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I used to have Orux maps on my phone and it gave a lot of info and does connect to ant+ sensors if your phone can handle ant+.

It's been quite a few years since I used it and the abundance of information was actually a little overwhelming for me at the time I tried it. But it was at that time pretty full featured. And the data it saved could easily be saved and exported as many different file types. I don't hear anything about lately but it is still out there.

https://www.oruxmaps.com/cs/en/
Old 09-02-20, 12:15 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
As cranklecat mentioned, the Wahoo Fitness App is completely free and you can connect any BTLE sensor(s) to it without having to pay a subscription fee. However, it is somewhat limited in the data that you get after the ride. If all you want is just basic ride information, it's fine and it will automatically send your rides to Strava when your ride is done. However, if you are looking for a feature rich cycling app, you can't beat Cyclemeter for $10.00/year. They have added two features to it that you won't find in any other cycling app that I know of: 1) Interactive Live Tracking; where the person(s) following you can interact with you while you are riding using your phone's text to speech feature and 2) Voice actuated commands where you can start/stop your ride and get get back any bit of ride data you want using Siri. Cyclemeter also stores all your rides on the phone so you never need WiFi or a cellular connection to view your rides and data.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-02-20, 02:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
BTW, most cycling apps I've tried record complete data. They just don't show complete data within the app. Transferring the file to Strava or another app, website or database will often pull out data that was recorded but not readily apparent. However sensors are still needed to record cadence, heart rate, etc.

Cyclemeter is user customizable and shows more data than Wahoo Fitness. The reason I suggest Wahoo Fitness is because it is so simple, very low resource demand so it doesn't drain the battery, but records a lot of data.

I often use both my XOSS G+ computer with sensors and my phone with Wahoo Fitness as a backup. The data usually matches very closely. Even the speed tends to be very similar, despite using a speed/cadence sensor with the computer and relying on GPS for the phone.

The significant differences tend to be calorie estimate (not important to me) and temperature. My XOSS G+ tends to overestimate ambient temperature by about 10 degrees F.
Old 09-03-20, 05:45 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks all! I didn't know that Wahoo had a generic app. I will try both Wahoo and Cyclemeter. Cyclemeter comes up again and again with good reviews. But the layout could be better, it looks like engineers are doing the design.
TrainingPeaks also seems like high quality, but it's designed for use with a power meter, which I don't have.
Orux maps could come in handy if I get an Android.

Last edited by 1987; 09-03-20 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-03-20, 06:20 AM
John_V 

Originally Posted by 1987
Thanks all! I didn't know that Wahoo had a generic app. I will try both Wahoo and Cyclemeter. ......
Wahoo currently has two cycling apps available. One is the Wahoo Fitness app and the second is the Wahoo Elemnt Companion app. Make sure you get the Wahoo Fitness app as the other requires the use of a Wahoo GPS computer to become functional.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-03-20, 06:26 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Wahoo currently has two cycling apps available. One is the Wahoo Fitness app and the second is the Wahoo Elemnt Companion app. Make sure you get the Wahoo Fitness app as the other requires the use of a Wahoo GPS computer to become functional.
Thanks. Don't worry.
Old 09-03-20, 10:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Do any iPhones have ant+ capability with out a dongle or something? Since you specified ant+ or BT, I assumed you were already android on a Samsung or one of the other few smartphones that had ant+ capability from the get go.

No biggie though. I'm mainly just wondering if I'm wrong about iPhones and ant+.
Old 09-03-20, 10:10 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Wahoo Fitness app
Old 09-03-20, 01:04 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Do any iPhones have ant+ capability with out a dongle or something?
iPhones do not have ANT+. Interestingly, one of Wahoo's first products was an ANT+ dongle for the iPhone, but that was way back in the days of 30-pin connectors.

As far as I can tell, there are no ANT+ to Lightning adapters, but there is at least one ANT+ to Bluetooth LE gateway, which I think should work.
Old 09-03-20, 01:14 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Interesting, I had never heard about quad lock sensors.
Old 09-20-20, 05:42 PM
Bend0matic

Bikes: 2010 Orbea Orca SRAM Force, 2008ish aluminum hard tail 26” mountain bike and 1980 Schwinn Twinn Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I just started using Cyclemeter and have been pleased. It paired easily with my Wahoo Blue SC Speed and Cadence sensor and it gets HR off of my Apple Watch. It appeared to be the only app that could do both but you do have to pay the $9.99 per year for pairing, Apple Watch functionality and Strava support among many other things. One of the neat things is that it will download an app on your Apple Watch where you can get additional screens of data. The downside is that it does a bit too much out of the box and it the app crashed 100 miles into a 110 mile bike so I lost the last 10 grueling miles! I’ll be customizing it as I play with so I’m not worried at this point.
Old 09-21-20, 09:11 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Oh, that's interesting. I use Cyclemeter and I've been gradually increasing the mileage on my Saturday rides. I'll be bumping up against 100 miles before too long. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Old 09-28-20, 10:36 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Anybody try Goggle Maps link up with your cell phone for simply tracking your trip in real time?

I tried some cycling apps but they always hammer you to buy the deluxe version, or you get pop up ads all the time.
Old 09-29-20, 06:52 AM
John_V 

Originally Posted by adamrice
Oh, that's interesting. I use Cyclemeter and I've been gradually increasing the mileage on my Saturday rides. I'll be bumping up against 100 miles before too long. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Before my RFLKT died, I used Cyclemeter exclusively. I now use it for my Live Streaming and data warehousing. When I used it, I did several century rides with it, including 3 cross state rides. Never had an issue with it locking up on long rides. One thing that some people tend to forget is that these cycling apps totally rely on whatever phone they are installed on and/or what other apps are running concurrently with the cycling app. If you''re going to do a long ride, I would suggest, if you aren't already doing this, to force close all other apps and turn off notifications and location services to apps that don't really need it.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress