Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Which Garmin?

Old 10-14-20, 06:01 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Which Garmin?

We currently have a Garmin 800 but would like to get another unit. Any idea which model is most like the 800?
Thanks!
Old 10-14-20, 06:43 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
What do you use it for?

The 830 is probably "most like" the 800 (for what that's worth, which isn't much).

The 530, 830, 1030/1030+ do the same things, pretty much. Also, none of the newer Garmins work radically different than the 800 (noting that the 800 has a touch screen).

The major difference is buttons for the 530, touch screen for the 830, and touch on a bigger screen for the 1030/1030+. The battery life is very long on the 1030+.

If navigation is important to you, you will likely prefer the larger screen.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-14-20 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-14-20, 08:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
If you on consider the latest releases of the current lines, screen size and overall size of unit are the biggies for Edge 530 and up. The 530 is the only device without a touch screen. The 1030 and 1030 plus have some notable differences in some features that might be minor to many and a no go for some. And they are the same price, so why pay for less? Though you might find better deals at other sites and refurb's are sometimes a real bargain when they are offered.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cata...Product=567991

As for what is most like the Edge 800, operationally, I'd think the 830. However I've seen enough difference in the way Garmin sometime changes the way you interact with a feature between the newer model of that line that even though the feature is the same, you feel it's totally different and a pain to use from what it was before. Though most of this experience for me was with their marine chartplotters.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-14-20 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-14-20, 08:29 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Iride01
The 1030 and 1030 plus have some notable differences in some features that might be minor to many and a no go for some. And they are the same price, so why pay for less? Though you might find better deals at other sites and refurb's are sometimes a real bargain when they are offered.
If one can be patient, biketiresdirect has discounts on the Garmins fairly regularly (I've used biketiresdirect a few times).

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/search/gps

1030 -> $528.
1030+ -> $558.

If you can get the 1030 cheap (I've seen it for $450), it might make sense. But not, like this, for $30 less.

The 1030+ is significant upgrade over the 1030: a faster CPU, much better battery life, and a compass (which are particularly useful for navigation). (Note that the CPU speed of the 1030 is fine and the battery life is very good.)

Note that the 1030+ doesn't have a slot for a microSD card (it has 32GB internal memory over the 16GB in the 1030). I don't think it matters that the 1030+ doesn't have the microSD slot (the internal memory should be more than enough).

The 1030+ also comes with maps for North America, South America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. For other units, one either had to buy maps for other regions (something I do not recommend) or get free OSM maps from various sources (this works very well).

There are some software differences but those are supposedly coming to the 1030.

I probably would not get a 820 over the 830: the 820 is slow with not great battery life (or the 520/520+ over the 530 for the same reasons).

One would be fine with the 1030 over the 1030+ if one could get the 1030 for significantly less.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-14-20 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-14-20, 09:44 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Amazon has the 1030 for $299. Prime Day sale I think so it won't last much longer at that price I'm guessing.

Garmin Edge 1030
Old 10-14-20, 10:34 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by August West
Amazon has the 1030 for $299. Prime Day sale I think so it won't last much longer at that price I'm guessing.

Garmin Edge 1030
Says $470 for me.

With "prime" deals, there are a limited number being offered at the price. So, when that limit has been bought, it's back to the "regular" price (whether or not the "Prime Day" sale is still going on).

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-14-20 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-14-20, 12:23 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Says $470 for me.

With "prime" deals, there are a limited number being offered at the price. So, when that limit has been bought, it's back to the "regular" price (whether or not the "Prime Day" sale is still going on).
It was $299 when I posted it so maybe the limit was reached.
Old 10-14-20, 01:09 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
does anyone know why garmins have a wifi connection? it does not seem they use it for a update and they use Bluetooth to connect to a phone.
Old 10-14-20, 01:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
It was $299 when I posted it so maybe the limit was reached.
I believe it is/was $299 only IF you have a Prime membership.
Old 10-14-20, 01:28 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
does anyone know why garmins have a wifi connection? it does not seem they use it for a update and they use Bluetooth to connect to a phone.
You can do updates via WiFi, or use it to upload a completed ride to the Connect website. Not sure about downloads of Courses, never tried it. I have WiFi turned off, I use Express on a USB connection for OS and map updates, as well as the GCM for completed ride uploads as well as navigable routes sent to the device via the RWGPS iQ app (via the phone BT).
Old 10-14-20, 01:59 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
You can do updates via WiFi, or use it to upload a completed ride to the Connect website. Not sure about downloads of Courses, never tried it. I have WiFi turned off, I use Express on a USB connection for OS and map updates, as well as the GCM for completed ride uploads as well as navigable routes sent to the device via the RWGPS iQ app (via the phone BT).
I was thinking I could download my rides I made with wifi but the site does not see it. but I usually don't leave the thing on while its charging in my house. its not a big deal it I just never found it worked.
Old 10-14-20, 02:11 PM
Steve B.

I was thinking I could download my rides I made with wifi but the site does not see it. but I usually don't leave the thing on while its charging in my house. its not a big deal it I just never found it worked.
I think if using Connect, then yes, you need a smartphone, as Connect (AFAIK) only sends a Course to the mobile app, which then sends to the device via BT. If using RideWithGPS (a better choice, IMO) then I believe the RWGPS iQ app on the device can use either the BT connection to the phone and then cell data, or use WiFi if connected, to move what RWGPS calls a Route (pre-planned Course) to the device.

I don't have my device handy so will check tomorrow.
Old 10-14-20, 02:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

You won't be able to see your device from the site and get rides from it. You have to set it up wifi on your device to connect and automatically upload them.

Wi‑Fi® Connected Features The Edge device has Wi‑Fi connected features. The Garmin Connect Mobile application is not required for you to use Wi‑Fi connectivity. NOTE: Your device must be connected to a wireless network to take advantage of these features. Activity uploads to Garmin Connect: Automatically sends your activity to Garmin Connect as soon as you finish recording. Courses, workouts, and training plans: Activities previously selected from Garmin Connect are sent wirelessly to your device. Software updates: Your device wirelessly downloads the latest software update. The next time you turn on the device, you can follow the on-screen instructions to update the software. Setting Up Wi‑Fi Connectivity 1 Go to www.garminconnect.com/start, and download the Garmin Express™ application. 2 Follow the on-screen instructions to set up Wi‑Fi connectivity with Garmin Express. Wi‑Fi Settings Select > Settings > Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi: Enables Wi‑Fi wireless technology. NOTE: Other Wi‑Fi settings appear only when Wi‑Fi is enabled. Auto Upload: Allows you to upload activities automatically over a known wireless network. Add Network: Connects your device to a wireless network.
This was from the edge 820 manual. .pdf page 19, manual page 15. https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...0_OM_EN-US.pdf
Old 10-14-20, 03:07 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Major differences are the integrated Trailforks maps and Forksight.
More for mountain bikers.

These are supported on the 530 (and the 830) as well as the 1030+. If it's not already on the 1030, I believe the 1030 is supposed to get it.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/...th-review.html
Old 10-14-20, 08:10 PM
njkayaker

Yes, I'm well aware of that. I've been running an 830 for more than a year...
You aren't the only one here.

That is, you might be aware of it but the OP likely isn't and others might not be.

The 530 supports it. So, it's not a difference between it and the 830.
Old 10-15-20, 06:05 AM
njkayaker

You listed some differences between the OP's 800 and current Garmins.
No, I was showing the major differences between the current units. I mentioned the 830 has a touch screen (which isn't a difference between it and the 800, if you were paying any sort of attention).

He's looking for the same features as the 800 (read the original post).

​​​​​​Outside of buttons/touch-screens, all of the current models are like the 800 (but also have extra features, the OP wasn't asking about).

I was pointing out the differences between the current models. So, he could have some way of figuring out which of those to get.

At no time did I compare the 530 and 830, I'm well aware that they both have native Trailforks and Forksight.
No, you mentioned it without indicating the feature (which the OP likely doesn't know anything about and you failed to explain) was a difference from the 800 (which the OP wasn't asking about).

​​​​You just are just confusing things.

...don't be surprised when folks with actual experience chuckle at you, and your answers.
Did you not read the OP or did you fail to understand it?

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-17-20 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-15-20, 09:32 AM
njkayaker

Look, I get it. You often lose the thread/can't follow the bouncing ball. This is the third time that I've seen it. That's ok, and your faux indignance continues to be amusing.
Dude, you lost track at the first post!

Did you read it or not understand it?

I give the OP much more credit than you do. I expect someone that reads "Trailforks and Forksight" is either able to Google those terms, or go to the actual Garmin product page directly and see those features described.
Finally, when you frantically Google answers, don't be surprised when folks with actual experience chuckle at you, and your answers.
This is deranged. You expect people to google stuff but complain when they do.

What makes you think they didn't "go to the actual Garmin product page directly" before you mentioned these features?

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-17-20 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-15-20, 09:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Major differences are the integrated Trailforks maps and Forksight.
I do have to admit, when I read your first post I wondered in what way that was a major difference and why you assumed we all knew what that meant. A little more words of explanation will have made both that statement and what the OP was supposed to do with that information a little clearer.
Likes For Iride01: