Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Good helmet mounted mirror?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-12, 10:33 AM
MK313

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bought a helmet over the winter & will likely start wearing it this coming season. (Not a should I wear a helmet thread at all). I've always used a handlebar mounted rear-view mirror, but if I"m going to have a helmet, one of the helmet mounted mirrors would be a better fit for me than one mounted o the bar ends. All of the helmet-mounted ones I've seen online all get average reviews. Can anyone recommend a helmet mounted mirror that they really love (or steer me away from one that they really don't like).
Old 02-11-12, 12:48 PM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one. https://hubbubcustom.com/store/prodde...sp?prod=helmir Almost indestructible (I once crashed @20mph with it! Just bent the wire back to appropriate shape.) I have 2. They sell replacement mirror elements if they get damaged or the reflective coating wears off after a few years.
Old 02-11-12, 01:14 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really like my Safe Zone mirror. It's durable, stays where you put it and has a nice big mirror giving me a great field of view. You are going to get a lot of replies of fans of the other more popular mirrors, those are definitely smaller and more minimalistic if you prefer that. I can't foresee needing it, but it's also got a 5 year no-fault warranty. Also, although I doubt it's an advantage against most of the other popular smaller mirrors because I think they are made here to, but it's made in the U.S. if that matters to you.

https://www.amazon.com/Safe-Zone-Bicy.../dp/B003LVHZ4O

Here's another one I don't see mentioned in these threads:
https://www.bottlecapbikemirror.com/B...e-Mirrors.html
I haven't used the Bottle Cap Mirror but I can see where it'd appeal to some folks too.
Old 10-19-20, 06:03 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
I am beyond satisfied with my Safe Zone mirror. This is a mirror that attaches securely to your helmet and puts a perfectly sized mirror out in the upper corner of your field of view. The mirror is big enough to see--with only a movement of your eyes--the entire quadrant behind you (mine's on the left, so I can see all oncoming traffic). And with a slight--just a few degrees of motion--you can see behind you and on the other side as well. It's easily adjustable in a millisecond while riding: it's fully articulable so that if you're in the down position you can adjust for that; if your hood on your winter jacket is causing obstructions you can adjust for that; if the sun's reflecting in your eyes, you can adjust for that.

The amazing thing is the company. I broke mine by dropping my helmet right on the mirror. The company sent me a replacement with no questions asked. There's only one other company I know that does that (Otterbox). It's amazing in this day and age. They've got a customer for life!
Old 10-20-20, 12:17 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I've used this one for many years:
Cycleaware Reflex Bicycle Helmet Mirror
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rch_asin_title

The mirror is plastic (scratchable) and pop off sometimes (so I used a little silicon glue to keep it where I wanted it). Easy to move to different helmets if you have a second glue on mount on the helmet.

Those bottle cap mirrors (linky no worky) have been known to gouge peoples faces in a crash. Not good.
Old 10-20-20, 07:25 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Third Eye Pro has served me well for years Third EyeŽ Mirrors
Old 10-22-20, 03:40 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I tried the Blackburn and it wiggled too much. Make sure whatever you get is rigid enough.