Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

7 derailleur conversion, frame fit

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 02:54 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts

Hi

I want to convert this bike to a 7 speed freewheel. I will get a whole new wheel.

This dropout spacing already is 126mm.

Will the chainstay and seatstay interfere with the last cog?

I need mo' gears for the hills!

Last edited by mtb_addict; 10-19-20 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-19-20, 07:33 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Where are you located? Or more to my point, Do you know where this bike was made/first sold?

Reason I ask is the band brake being a common device for the Asian markets. I've seen many dual threaded hubs/wheels but no brake drum threaded with freehubs. I can't see if the RH drop out is a horizontally slotted type, thus allowing a plate (claw) attached der OR a vertical type. Or whether the drop out has a hanger tab already present. What is interesting and potentially problematic is the RH side kickstand. That will likely need to be removed. Andy
Old 10-19-20, 07:43 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Where are you located? Or more to my point, Do you know where this bike was made/first sold?

Reason I ask is the band brake being a common device for the Asian markets. I've seen many dual threaded hubs/wheels but no brake drum threaded with freehubs. I can't see if the RH drop out is a horizontally slotted type, thus allowing a plate (claw) attached der OR a vertical type. Or whether the drop out has a hanger tab already present. What is interesting and potentially problematic is the RH side kickstand. That will likely need to be removed. Andy
All the issue you noted is no problem here in China. Many bikes here with band brakes and 6/7 speed freewheel. And I have seen speical drop stands that work with 6/7 speed deraileur.

This bike has horizobtal track-style dropouts. There is a cheap derailleur just for this.

This particular dropstand wont work with a derailleur, but there are other dropstands that will work with derailleurs. but i will probably just omit the dropstand...since this typeis really heavy.

All parts I already found all the parts online (Taobao). My worry is that the chainstay and seatstay might interfere with the last cog on the 6/7 speed freewheel.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 10-19-20 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-20-20, 06:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
All the issue you noted is no problem here in China. Many bikes here with band brakes and 6/7 speed freewheel. And I have seen speical drop stands that work with 6/7 speed deraileur.

This bike has horizobtal track-style dropouts. There is a cheap derailleur just for this.

This particular dropstand wont work with a derailleur, but there are other dropstands that will work with derailleurs. but i will probably just omit the dropstand...since this typeis really heavy.

All parts I already found all the parts online (Taobao). My worry is that the chainstay and seatstay might interfere with the last cog on the 6/7 speed freewheel.
Given that the frame's stays look to have some relief on their drop out ends and that it's cost effective manufacturing to share the same base structures over differing models I suspect you'll find some clearances, whether enough for your aftermarket mods only you will find out.

BTW if you had provided some local info in your OP I would have phrased my initial reply somewhat differently. But it seems that I hit the nail pretty well on center anyways. Andy
Old 10-20-20, 09:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I wonder if you will actually move forward with this, the other bikes and projects seem to go nowhere. Before you think about upgrading you might just try some cleaning that bike could really use it and it might remove at least a pound of two of grime.