Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1988 High Sierra Fork

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1988 High Sierra Fork

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 02:24 PM
HopHornbeam

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1991 GT Tachyon, 1999 Bike Friday Air Friday, 1986 Bridgestone MB-2, 1995 Trek 970 SHX, One One Inbred, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper Jr., 1987 Schwinn Sierra, (formerly owned): 1995 Cannondale R800C, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
1988 High Sierra Fork

I have a 1988 Schwinn High Sierra that I've built up to be a commuting/touring bike, but I never had the original fork. I've been playing around with the front end quite a bit to get the fit and handling right, but still haven't been able to (it's too twitchy). Is there anyone who has an '88 High Sierra who would be willing to take fork measurements (axle to crown and rake) for me so I can find a suitable fork for it?

Thank you,
HopHornbeam
Old 10-21-20, 05:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by HopHornbeam
I have a 1988 Schwinn High Sierra that I've built up to be a commuting/touring bike, but I never had the original fork. I've been playing around with the front end quite a bit to get the fit and handling right, but still haven't been able to (it's too twitchy). Is there anyone who has an '88 High Sierra who would be willing to take fork measurements (axle to crown and rake) for me so I can find a suitable fork for it?

Thank you,
HopHornbeam
Maybe, we need good measurements of your frame, HT, TT and ST, CTC would be best I think.
Old 10-21-20, 06:59 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
The '88 Schwinn catalog lists specs for the High Sierra 21 inch frame as having a 1094mm wheelbase.
You could hang your frame without the fork so the head tube is plumb vertical, hang a plumb bob down the center of the head tube, then measure from the rear dropout forward the 1094mm. The distance from the plumb bob line to the 1094 would be the fork rake.

Or I could just put a straight edge on the head tube, fork and dropouts of my 23 in. '87 and call it good enough.