Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Schwinn Voyageur!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Schwinn Voyageur!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 09:31 PM
kocour

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sequoia, 1980 Schwinn Voyager 11.8, Handsome Devil (from Minneapolis bike builder)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Hey, I also have two chrome Schwinns - mine our 1980 and 81.
Likes For kocour:
Old 10-19-20, 10:11 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by trailmix
I don’t have a Voyageur but my wife does. Not the best pics but they are the only ones that I have at the moment. Probably going to switch back to quill stem and install a new set of Pasela tires soon.

Such a cool color especially in certain light. Is this her daily rider? What are her opinions on it?
Old 10-20-20, 05:10 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Such a cool color especially in certain light. Is this her daily rider? What are her opinions on it?
She loves the color and the tan accents which is why she requested a set of skin wall Paselas.
This bike is used for short touring trips like weekends or overnight rides.
She is definitely a fan of touring bikes with bigger tires and cantilever brakes. She also has a 1990 Cannondale ST400.
Old 10-20-20, 05:54 AM
WT160

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Here is a picture of a 1980 Voyager 11.8 that I sold in the spring.
Likes For WT160:
Old 10-20-20, 04:51 PM
trailmix

nice looking bike, I would like to find a 23’ 86-88 someday.
Likes For trailmix:
Old 10-20-20, 04:52 PM
polymorphself 

Thank you. I don’t see them pop up too often but they aren’t super rare either. Check the various sites daily and you’ll find one.
Old 10-21-20, 04:07 AM
trailmix

Thank you. I don’t see them pop up too often but they aren’t super rare either. Check the various sites daily and you’ll find one.
I always find bikes when I am not looking for them. I wanted an 85 Trek 620 for the longest time with no luck and once I finally gave up, a nearly mint one showed up just a couple of miles from my house.
Old 10-21-20, 06:20 AM
WT160

I found mine (post 305) next to a dumpster.
Old 10-21-20, 02:04 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
Theres a 58cm ‘86 on eBay right now for $600 in Madison, WI. Seems a bit overpriced. Could always try giving them an offer.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 10-21-20, 02:15 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by Rooney
Theres a 58cm ‘86 on eBay right now for $600 in Madison, WI. Seems a bit overpriced. Could always try giving them an offer.
Does seem high for the condition, but that's ebay for ya. That being said it looks like it will clean up nicely. Probably worth putting an offer in!
Old 10-21-20, 02:47 PM
WT160

I sold my 1980 for $285.
Old 10-22-20, 10:31 AM
trailmix

I am a real cheap-o, too much for me.
Old 11-13-20, 09:24 AM
wschellen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 32 Posts

Drove all the way to Arizona last weekend to pick this one up off ebay. It’s in minty condition, just needs some cleaning and a few tweaks.
Likes For wschellen:
Old 01-14-21, 01:41 AM
ravenix 
Enthusiast

Bikes: ‘83 Trek 720, ‘85 Schwann Voyageur SP, ‘97 Ibis hakkalugi, '80's Haro

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 16 Posts
So I’m in the process of building up my ‘85 SP frame and trying to size the wheel set & fender size. Looks like the largest fenders I can fit in the fork is about 40mm? Had anyone successfully done this size? If not, what fenders work with the frame? Thanks!!!
Old 01-14-21, 05:30 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Originally Posted by ravenix
So I’m in the process of building up my ‘85 SP frame and trying to size the wheel set & fender size. Looks like the largest fenders I can fit in the fork is about 40mm? Had anyone successfully done this size? If not, what fenders work with the frame? Thanks!!!
I used the 45mm hammered Velo Orange fenders. Definitely had to do some persuading (I think it's partly why I've had trouble getting a super clean front fender line), but it came out pretty well. Eventually, I'll make them fit nicer. I keep meaning to post an update. One day.

Can't wait to see an update on your bike. Was the powder coat an exact match for the original color or more of an approximation? The lug lining is fantastic!
Old 01-14-21, 06:37 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenix
I just built out a Voyageur SP for a friend. I used VO Zeppelin fenders (52mm), which of course don't fit inside the fork crown unless you bend them. I just shaped them with pliers to go around the forkblades. This was done on a lot of bikes with aluminum fenders, back in the day. I would not think twice about modifying fenders this way. You will get more coverage and maybe even be able to fit bigger tires.
Old 01-14-21, 08:50 PM
ravenix 
Enthusiast

Bikes: ‘83 Trek 720, ‘85 Schwann Voyageur SP, ‘97 Ibis hakkalugi, '80's Haro

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 16 Posts
I used the 45mm hammered Velo Orange fenders. Definitely had to do some persuading (I think it's partly why I've had trouble getting a super clean front fender line), but it came out pretty well. Eventually, I'll make them fit nicer. I keep meaning to post an update. One day.

Can't wait to see an update on your bike. Was the powder coat an exact match for the original color or more of an approximation? The lug lining is fantastic!
You got a set of 45mm fenders to fit through the fork? Wow, yeah please post some photos when you have a chance! What size tires are you running with those fenders? I measured out the available width in the fork for a maximum of 40mm.. but that's touching both sides. I figure with the curved lip of the fenders there's no way to run bigger than a 32mm tire without rubbing issues? Even then I'd feel better with a 28-30mm tire.

The powder coat is definitely an approximation, not an exact match. Though honestly it looks beautiful and I'm really happy with the results! Has a bit of iridescent sheen to it in direct sunlight... love it
Just fit an older 2 Nut Chris King Silver headset and working what stem and seatpost to use.... going to be a fun build. However, it's not going to be a original restoration. Using a lot of 9 speed parts and moving to 700c wheels... semi-modern vintage!

Will post some update photos tomorrow.
Old 01-14-21, 09:36 PM
Rooney 

As I said, some persuasion was necessary. I honestly didn't think to check the fork width prior to buying the fenders because I saw other Voyageurs with the hammered VO fenders, and those only come in 45mm. The narrow fork crown is probably what I like least about the bike. Are the Tenax Voyageur forks any different (in terms of clearance for fenders/tires), or does everyone else bend their fenders too? I keep meaning to take updated pictures since other parts of the bike have changed, but every time I go for a ride I get too caught up in the riding and forget. My initial effort is posted back a page or two. I'm running 27 x 1 1/4" Pasela's which haven't given me any trouble. I think earlier in the thread someone was running 700 x 35 with fenders.

Looking forward to your photos! I'm excited to see what you end up choosing!
Old 01-15-21, 01:23 AM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
chrome

well I have pretty much everything I ever needed and there is not much I want ....and I usually exercise self control but if I ever find a chrome Voyageur sp in my size within driving distance......I will sell some of the wives stuff and go and get it....absurd price would not stop me.......I would even clean the garage .....sleep with the dog.....eat peanut butter for weeks........I MIGHT even go so far as to sell one of my other bikes
Old 01-15-21, 01:19 PM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Wish I had pics to share, but a buddy of mine picked up a '73 World Voyageur in blue for next to nothing ($25-ish) this summer and bought it to me for an overhaul. Paint job was beaten up pretty good but the chrome underneath was largely in good condition and a bit of wax made the bike shine like a penny. Came complete with Schwinn dynamo and lights, only thing aftermarket on it was the RD which was replaced with an early 90's shimano model, and a new B17 which he asked me to put on for him.

I'm not into schwinns at all but this is a great bike. Granted, it's actually a panasonic, but still.
Old 01-15-21, 02:26 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Here's the '85 Voyageur SP I did with VO Zeppelin fenders. The tires are Panaracer Gravelking 700x38. You can see all the fender massaging I had to do. It was fairly minimal. Fenderline was good, with easy rear wheel removal due to the vertical dropouts. I cut the rear fender down to fit between the chainstays, and made a slight indent for the front derailleur. I made a "step" in the front fender to sit flat under the fork crown and slightly indented the sides. Caveat is that the fork may not be original, but I think it is at least period-correct.

Old 01-15-21, 04:31 PM
Rooney 

scarlson — Looking at the crown, I'd agree it's probably not the original fork. What do you mean by making a step in the front fender?

Here's a quick photo I snapped today — it's muddy out there! Maybe it's time to add some mudflaps. I'll try to note all the changes since the last time I showed this.

44cm Nitto Noodles: I'd replaced the original 42cm bars with 46cm Noodles but thought they might too wide, so I went to 44cm. Now I think I'm missing that extra 2cms.
Shimano aero brake levers: We'll see how long I go before trying to remove the obscenely large SHIMANO down the front of the levers.
Jagwire Carbon Silver shifter and brake cables: I went back-and-forth between the Carbon and Sterling, but I think this bike is too neat and grungy for the Sterling.
Suntour bar-ends: I'd wanted to switch out the downtube shifters for a long time, and I'm so happy with the result! I never liked reaching all the way to the downtube; it never felt comfortable or stable.
Shimano downtube barrel adjusters: They're there. The adjuster could be a better grey, or silver, or black. I'll probably never think about them.
Nitto Jaguar seatpost: It fits, it looks good.
Finally realized titling the Brooks up makes it significantly better. It wasn't uncomfortable before, but now it's incredible! Gradually raised the nose over multiple rides until I found the sweet spot.
Velo Orange Moderniste cages: I'd had two of these a year ago, then got rid of them when I moved because I thought I'd never use them, then realized I missed them and got two more.
NOS Mountech FD
Cyclone MK II RD
New 5-speed chain
New front wheel
: My buddy noticed the old front-wheel's (likely a replacement itself) axle was short and caused the fork blades to compress. That also made it difficult to get the wheel straight. This was the only option at the LBS. It'll be replaced in a year, or whenever I finally get a 700c wheelset.

Quite a bit has changed since I originally got the bike about two years ago. Sometimes it's been more circuitous than I expected, but that's part of the process, right? I'm very pleased with how it's gone so far. Maybe I'll even have the handlebars wrapped next time!
Likes For Rooney:
Old 01-15-21, 05:01 PM
scarlson 

scarlson — Looking at the crown, I'd agree it's probably not the original fork.
Yeah, probably not original. But your fork looks comparable to this one in terms of distance from fork crown to rim in front. That makes me pretty confident that the same setup (700x38 tires, VO Zeppelin fenders) would probably work on the original fork as well. And in this fork, it _really_ worked, I mean with flying colors. There's a big ol' nut under the crown holding the fender on, and the daruma bolt didn't even have to be sawed shorter to clear the tire or anything. On some other bikes (Nishiki, Holdsworth), it's so tight up in there that I have to use a recessed nut or an Aheadset starnut shoved up inside the steerer. Great success!

What do you mean by making a step in the front fender?
Like this:

A simple flat spot to help the fender sit level on the underside of the fork crown, even though it's going through at an angle. I usually do it with a hammer and a wood block.

Last edited by scarlson; 01-15-21 at 06:01 PM.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 01-15-21, 05:47 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Yeah, probably not original. But your fork looks comparable to this one in terms of distance from fork crown to tire in front. That makes me pretty confident that the same setup (700x38 tires, VO Zeppelin fenders) would probably work on the original fork as well.
I don't know about SP forks but that looks exactly like my non SP 85 Voyageur fork. They came painted but were chromed underneath.
Old 01-15-21, 06:11 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by beicster
I don't know about SP forks but that looks exactly like my non SP 85 Voyageur fork. They came painted but were chromed underneath.
Interesting! I didn't give it much thought, because it's a friend's bike and the frame didn't show signs of front end damage and the fork, regardless of origin, was straight and had the appropriate eyelets and posts. I think it said "Spinner" on it, which they may have made the Voyageur fork. Not sure. The headset was incomplete as well when he got it. I think the crown race was plated zinc and the cups were plated chrome or something so they looked a little different. But yeah, it's hard to find threaded cantilever forks, of this steerer length, with proper fork crowns, so that's points for it being original or at least from the era. Wonder what would possess a person to go strip all the paint off. Maybe a bad blemish.

Last edited by scarlson; 01-15-21 at 06:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.