Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Most-annoying vehicles for bikers

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Most-annoying vehicles for bikers

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 10:26 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Today it was delivery vans.... The ultimate in raising distracted and couldn't-care-less driving to professionnal lows.
Old 06-12-20, 10:48 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferCyclist
Around here it's tractors. Think they own the road.
Just brought this to mind >>>

Old 06-12-20, 11:29 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 565 Posts
Nasty drivers come in all kinds of vehicles, but for my money, 20 something males driving full sized pickups are the worst. It's as if they are compensating for something else lacking.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 06-12-20, 12:39 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My chief gripes are: cyclists riding against traffic or on sidewalks, followed by black diesel pickups driven by jerks.

Last edited by Doug64; 06-12-20 at 12:43 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 06-12-20, 07:58 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Wow. This thread totally went a different direction than I thought it would from the title.

My least favorite vehicles are generally subcompacts where you can't put a hitch on them so you have to add a roof rack. You WILL eventually forget and drive into the garage or a parking ramp.
I suppose sub-compact convertibles are even worse. No place at all to carry a bike.
$ for $ I think the Magnum P.I. 308 Ferrari might be the worst. No room for a hitch and a T-Top! Where does the bike go?
Old 06-13-20, 03:43 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
FedEx vans on Christmas Eve Day. Had a too close encounter after the driver ran a stop sign.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-13-20, 07:16 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Driver behavior, in the U.S. follows closely the culture of "American Exceptionalism" aka, "The American Dream": the "I've got mine" (often pretentiously un-earned) vs (in their minds) you poor bastards that must be lazy or doing it wrong; the frustrated.that believe in the rat race and are perpetually learning that even a "winner" is still a rat; and other forms of exceptionalism based on force, philosophy and fark you... all expressed through their force and "face" of motorized vehicles....

What a mess....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 06-13-20, 10:14 AM
bruceski44

Bikes: My pinnacle bike was a Merkx Titanium with Campy Record.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those trailered tar pots used by roofers to heat tar stink to high heaven.

I was in a group riding up a narrow, cliffside road to Glacier Point in Yosemite NP and every time a tour bus went by, it almost blew me off the side of the cliff. You can't hear them coming, because the engine's in the rear. The first thing you know is this huge blast of air off the front of the bus hits you. It kept a grueling ride interesting!
Old 06-13-20, 02:48 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Oh, also on this loop, they have these motorized scooters and skateboards. Some of them go fast and these guys go like 30 or faster weaving all over the place.
Old 06-13-20, 04:46 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
It's been chock-full of crazy out there lately. Recent low point: getting shaved by a dump truck.

Last edited by leftthread; 06-13-20 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-15-20, 11:41 AM
DarkSkyHUnter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Any vehicle passing with a pit-bull hanging out the window.
Old 06-15-20, 11:41 AM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Easy one: anything with jesus, a fish, or anything religious
THE WORST

and school buses
Old 06-15-20, 12:01 PM
relrrt

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Grow up and quit your whining. Your dad should pull off his belt and straighten you out!
Old 06-15-20, 12:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Driver behavior, in the U.S. follows closely the culture of "American Exceptionalism" aka, "The American Dream": the "I've got mine" (often pretentiously un-earned) vs (in their minds) you poor bastards that must be lazy or doing it wrong; the frustrated.that believe in the rat race and are perpetually learning that even a "winner" is still a rat; and other forms of exceptionalism based on force, philosophy and fark you... all expressed through their force and "face" of motorized vehicles....

What a mess....
How is that different than the attitudes of some cyclist?

For certain, I'd rather ride my bicycle here in the USA as opposed to some of the other countries I've been to and seen reports on.
Old 06-15-20, 12:50 PM
run50

Bikes: Seven Elium SLX, Spot Mountain bike, Co-Motion Pangea touring bike,Trek 5500, Argon gravel bike,

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nbseer
1/ Pickup trucks with huge side-view mirrors (that could clip you)
2/ BMWs (aggresive fast drivers that blast past you)
3/ Mercedes (ditto)
4/ Landscaping trucks pulling trailers loaded with equipment (you think you're safe when the truck passes, but don't forget that trailer)
5/ Parked running vehicles on right shoulder (getting doored... )
Definitely BMW's...I can't tell you the number of times I've been buzzed by a BMW (actually any
German car) in close calls.
Old 06-15-20, 01:52 PM
ka.i

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by run50
Definitely BMW's...I can't tell you the number of times I've been buzzed by a BMW (actually any
German car) in close calls.
You mean like this one?
Watch it in a desktop browser or on a platform YourTube app
Skip to minute 1 if the link doesn't take you there.

Old 06-15-20, 03:42 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Originally Posted by Iride01
How is that different than the attitudes of some cyclist?

For certain, I'd rather ride my bicycle here in the USA as opposed to some of the other countries I've been to and seen reports on.
That was heartily hubric and xenophobic....
Pity your self-limiting mileage varied.
My "attitude" if you will, comes from a lifetime as an observant american. It also comes from opening mind and heart to experiences that others filled with kindness...and from comparing what people say to what they do. Individually, americans can be charming and seeking of world cooperation. Collectively... capable of selfishly and devisively destroying themselves and the world. "We" have a long way to go, and an infinitude to learn from others. "USA" chip off the shoulder is a start....
"Good Luck, and thanks for all the fish!"
Old 06-15-20, 03:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
That was heartily hubric and xenophobic....
I hope your are talking about you. I'd have some friends that would laugh at you if they thought you were talking about me. They know I don't fit that remark <grin>
Old 06-15-20, 04:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
Today it was delivery vans.... The ultimate in raising distracted and couldn't-care-less driving to professionnal lows.
Yup, surprised this wasn't mentioned more often.

UPS/FedEx Overnight/FedEx Ground the independents)/Prime and a whole the unmarked.

In more urban area's, where they deal with difficult traffic, they have really bad habits of just stopping the friggin truck dead in the traffic lane as if nobody else on the planet needs to use this road. They can be hard to get around on a bike and you never know if the drive is in the vehicle and when they are, they tend to just start up without checking if anybody is passing.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-15-20, 04:39 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
For me, when both a driver AND as a bike rider"

1. Amazon delivery trucks, especially the Prime ones. I have seen a driver make a u-turn, on a residential street with pedestrians and kids on the sidewalks, as well as cyclists and cars in the road, and drive up over the right curb, go into the sidewalk, turn, and do the same thing on the other side of the street rather than back up.
2. Dodge Ram pickups - must be something about the name influences the driving.
2. BMWs - there is a reason BMW drivers and porcupines are often compared.

Honorable mention: Prius and Smart car drivers
Old 06-15-20, 07:56 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I would have to say , it is more about the driver than the vehicle. Of course unyielding larger vehicles are more dangerous because of their size , but again, it is the driver . As cyclists we can all share stories of inconsiderate drivers and for me they drive all types of vehicles.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 06-15-20, 09:46 PM
fitcat

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Police cars pulling you over..
Hah, would be nice if they pulled over the miscreants on Enginecycles with no mufflers to speak of. The heros that ride the Harley crap, who must also be truck drivers as they get as close to a cyclist as possible and roll on the throttle, or go by with their pals all tick-tacky, all dressed just the same, multiplying the 125dB times their numbers.
Got passed once by a true Motorcycle, came out of nowhere, with no warning. I thought, "this'll ne'r do", chased him down. The slacker wasn't even puffing going up the next hill, and that is when I learned the trick, that he was augmented by electric motor, very well hidden. Fella wouldn't keep up on the full tuck descent though.
A friend, Ex Olympian rides in Europe a lot and has a name for these that isn't consistent with the good manners of this site.
Likes For fitcat:
Old 06-16-20, 06:38 AM
tdaileyphd
GravelandMtn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People in a hurry or distracted..

Most see my rear blinker and give me space. I suspect young drivers might be worse at squeezing by, perhaps unaware of the law or consequences.
Old 06-16-20, 06:54 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Garbage trucks
School buses
Pickup trucks with a boat in tow
Delivery trucks
Silent electric cars that come out of nowhere

Though any vehicle with a yahoo behind it can be dangerous
You beat me to school buses - I spent time driving one and knowing the vehicles and the drivers and the schedules they are forced to keep ... they are terrifying. One benefit of pandemic-world, no school buses!

Other repeaters in the thead:
  • White contractor vans/trucks
  • Tonka toy pickup trucks

The high priced SUVs (BMW/Mercedes/etc) have been a real mixed bag of total jackholes and very respectful/safe and everything in between.

Some brands that have been repeat offenders in my area (Minneapolis): crusty old Pontiac and any Cadillac.

Last one is specific to the snow-belt - SNOWPLOWS are more like terrifying than annoying!
Old 06-16-20, 09:13 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Forgot to mention in the SoCal canyons, hopped up weekend sports bikers think they own the world. Too much bravado and not enough skill or common sense. Seems like the meat wagons are picking them up every weekend. Now with that out of the way, I find bikers on touring motorcycles are toned down and respectful of cyclists. Just a different mindset with those folks.
Likes For CAT7RDR:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.