Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Talking with police about traffic violation

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Talking with police about traffic violation

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 01:25 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by comfort rider
Your video definitely shows that the automobilist got real close (maybe 18"). However, I see a paved bike path paralleling that road. Why aren't you on that?
OP already answered this. Maybe read the thread before posting.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 08-31-20, 03:45 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by comfort rider
Your video definitely shows that the automobilist got real close (maybe 18"). However, I see a paved bike path paralleling that road. Why aren't you on that?
The paved path right next to the road is actually a sidewalk. There is no easy way on or off it for a bike. The actual bike path is on the hill and is a crushed limestone surface. Some don't like riding road bikes on crushed limestone surfaces.

Last edited by RGMN; 08-31-20 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-31-20, 07:28 PM
eKabuki

Bikes: Pedego Interceptor 26", Schwinn Santis with a rear hub direct drive conversion. Cannondale Quick 4.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With my prior experience providing video and speaking to police, I recommend just talking to a street light. Far less frustrating and results are the same.

I commute on a 4 lane road with no bike path or marked bike lanes. Both lanes will have traffic with cars overtaking each other and rarely do I get the 3 feet required by law in my state. A few months ago there was a cab that always passed my going at least 50 mph (45 mph zone) and would never move over even if the other lane was clear. Tried talking to the driver once and the reply was "I didn't hit you, so what?" I do have cameras on my bike and requested an insurance check through DMV. I filed a claim for mental distress (former insurance adjuster and knew the claim would go nowhere) just so I could get those close pass videos in the hands of the cab companies insurance company with a well writtten reasoning for reckless driving. A month ago I received a call from their insurance company denying claim (as they should, how do you prove mental distress?) but it was hinted that any new claims would need to be presented to their new insurance carrier. The police would not even bother with viewing video or contacting the other driver.
Old 09-01-20, 02:09 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
BTW I also learned that every time you share a video here on BF, there are always nimrods who want to blame the cyclist, no matter how blatant the offense committed by the cager.
And any time there's a video of a cyclist getting hit by a vehicle, invariably someone here on the A&S section will blame the cyclist.
Likes For Milton Keynes: