Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Morpher Helmet Recall

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Morpher Helmet Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 01:34 PM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Morpher Helmet Recall

I just got the following email (fortunately, my helmet is from March 2017)...

RE: Important Product Safety Notice September 2020

Dear Consumer:

In conjunction with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), we write to inform you of an important safety recall involving all Morpher Flat-Folding Helmets produced after April, 2017. We are recalling these helmets because they do not comply with the requirements of the federal safety standard for bicycle helmets, posing a risk of head injury.

Sales records indicate that you purchased this helmet. The “MORPHER” logo and name is on both the left and right side, and the back of helmet. The helmets come in assorted colors including: matte black, gloss black, frosty white, regal red, spotty dots, yellow, stunning silver, gunmetal grey and sunshine yellow.
If you have a Morpher Flat Folding Helmet produced after April 2017, you should immediately stop using it to avoid the risk of serious injury. Thank you for your cooperation and prompt action, and thank you for being a Morpher customer. If you have any questions, please contact CPSC’s Hotline at 800-638-2772.
Old 09-30-20, 03:10 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Wow, this is a pity! It looked like a useful product. Hopefully, they will survive the recall, fix the flaw and come back to the market. What was your overall experience with that helmet? Obviously, I doubt you could discern whether it was deficient on the safety side, without getting into any serious mishap.
Old 09-30-20, 04:42 PM
GeorgeBaby

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The've closed down sometime during COVID. I liked the helmet; it's useful for commuters or tourists, since it packs smaller than anything else I've seen. Fit is decent. I think it looks dorkier than most helmets, but I'm OK with that.
Old 09-30-20, 05:23 PM
GeorgeBaby

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Oh, I see there is a separate forum for recall announcements. Admin, can you move this there, if appropriate (ditto for the duplicate announcement in Touring -- I just thought Commuters and Tourists were the most likely to own the helmet)
Old 09-30-20, 05:25 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I went to their page and indeed it says that they ceased their operation. I thought everything bike related got a boost during the pandemic, though maybe there were more specific ups and downs during different stages. Anyway, I hope someone picks up the idea later. The current Fend helmet borrows the design from an earlier Motorika, as one example, so things come around. I have Overade Plixie now, which is fine, but at times one that folds flat, like Morpher, might be easier to accommodate. Sorry about you getting hit by that.
Old 10-07-20, 09:32 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked 1,817 Times in 1,057 Posts
The official CPSC recall notice for Morpher helmets says nothing about a manufactured date.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2020/cp...helmets-due-to

The helmets were recalled because they were found to not meet CPSC standard.

Folding helmets that have met the CPSC standard include the Carrera Foldable, Closca Stack, Fend 1 and Overade Plixi.