Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

KS Lev Dx Moves when sat on

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 05:14 PM
SethB

Bikes: 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The best way to explain my problem with my KS Lev DX dropper seat post is that when you sit on it, it goes down like a centimeter, then when you lift off, it comes back up. Am I missing oil inside or something? Is this something I can fix?

I have seen "service kits" on ebay for them that includes seals and oil, will one of these fix me up?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-20, 11:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Suspension seat post..... isn't it? What's the weight it's meant to support and might this be normal? Isn't there a manual or user guide to tell you what to expect?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-18-20, 09:56 PM
klasse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
No, it's a dropper post. I got rid of my KS Lev post, went with Fox Transfer. Just get rid of the KS...seriously.
Old 10-19-20, 05:07 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
Suspension seat post..... isn't it? What's the weight it's meant to support and might this be normal? Isn't there a manual or user guide to tell you what to expect?
So after much Googling, I found another thread with the same exact issue, they had their issues within a few weeks of owning the post, so they got warranty replacement. However, they explained the issue: There is a seal between the oil chamber and air chamber in the center piece. This seal is no longer sealing and air got into the oil chamber, and is compressed slightly when sat on.

I have been trying to figure out if I can disassemble that core but I can't find anything online. I sent an email to KS and haven't heard anything back yet. But I would love to repair that seal and not have to throw it away and buy a new one. I will probably just simply deal with it as dropper posts aren't cheap.
Old 10-19-20, 05:08 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by klasse
No, it's a dropper post. I got rid of my KS Lev post, went with Fox Transfer. Just get rid of the KS...seriously.
Really? Are they that bad?
Old 10-21-20, 01:39 AM
bikeme

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
KS posts are fine--my first DropZone lasted 7 years and I got a new one vs buying an air cartridge (very slow to rise, even after clean and lube). Their CS is not great--it's a small office (I've been there) with a skeleton crew. They don't pick up the phone, return messages nor emails much--that's really bad for selling a decent product. The best way to get warranty work or out of warranty repair is go through your LBS. My new post slipped a bit so my LBS sent it in and I had it fixed no charge under warranty and back in a week and a half.

On a maintenance note, it sounds like you've never taken it apart to clean and lube it. There's no separate oil to deal with. They have good videos on their site on how to dis/reassemble, clean, lube, etc. I can do mine in 25-30 minutes. If your post is slipping though, the air cartridge may be bad--that's what my new one did (mentioned above).

Last edited by bikeme; 10-21-20 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-26-20, 12:17 AM
klasse

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SethB
Really? Are they that bad?
Well, I found that there was always play (movement) in the saddle. I find the Fox Transfer to be way better performing and lower price tag.
Old 11-07-20, 03:15 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikeme
KS posts are fine--my first DropZone lasted 7 years and I got a new one vs buying an air cartridge (very slow to rise, even after clean and lube). Their CS is not great--it's a small office (I've been there) with a skeleton crew. They don't pick up the phone, return messages nor emails much--that's really bad for selling a decent product. The best way to get warranty work or out of warranty repair is go through your LBS. My new post slipped a bit so my LBS sent it in and I had it fixed no charge under warranty and back in a week and a half.

On a maintenance note, it sounds like you've never taken it apart to clean and lube it. There's no separate oil to deal with. They have good videos on their site on how to dis/reassemble, clean, lube, etc. I can do mine in 25-30 minutes. If your post is slipping though, the air cartridge may be bad--that's what my new one did (mentioned above).
I have cleaned it. The little bit of sag was the reason for me cleaning it. But I ended up contacting KS and they were very helpful. They told me my assumptions were correct in the seal between the air and oil becoming compromised, and that is where the extra sag comes from. Right now, I am just gonna ride with it like that until it fails completely. They sent me a URL with where I can purchase a new air cartridge for 80 bucks. So that is what I will be doing once it fails for good. I like the KS Lev DX, and really see no reason to spend more money on another dropper post instead of replacing the air cartridge.

Originally Posted by klasse
Well, I found that there was always play (movement) in the saddle. I find the Fox Transfer to be way better performing and lower price tag.
When I first got it, there was zero play in the saddle. It performs quite well, that is why I was shocked by the statement about them being junk. However, I will keep with it until it catastrophically fails or I get a new bike haha.

Thank you all for the additional information and help on this endeavor!