Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Derailleur for 10-speed Rampar

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 02:31 PM
drakedk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I need a new derailleur. Sunrace RD-M10 has been suggested. My back tire has a 5 gear sprocket on it, I have been told that 6 and 7 speed derailleurs do not work. Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-20, 03:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
How does the der attach to the drop out? Direct to a tab that's part of the drop out or with a separate plate (the "claw")? Most every 6,6,8 cog der will be able to also handle a 5 cog freewheel. What might be different is the cage width. Older 5 cog bikes can use a wider then currently common chain and thus also a wider pulley cage width (IIRC aprox. 7.8mm wide chain VS the 7.3/7.1 that's currently very common). A couple of thin washers added to either side of the pulleys (and longer bolts) cures this.

Who told you that 6 and 7 speed ders don't work for 5? Andy
Old 10-19-20, 08:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Maybe upload some pictures to the website and by that I mean if you are interested in bikes explore the site and start posting and joining some other discussions and then you will be able to post pictures after a little while. If you are just here to leave, have a nice day and don't let the door hit you on the way out. Too many people join the forum with no intention of being a part of it and just are using it instead of Ask Jeeves or DuckDuckGo or one of the other popular search engines.

The only Rampar I can think of is the Raleigh BMX bike and that would be a cool bike but not geared.
Old 10-21-20, 07:20 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
RD on my wife's Raleigh Rampar R One attached with a claw. Bike was new in 1978. 5 speed freewheel.

Last edited by JanMM; 10-21-20 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-22-20, 09:57 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
6 or 7 speed derailleurs will work. If someone told you they won't work, their arse is full of blue mud.
Old 10-22-20, 11:13 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The only Rampar I can think of is the Raleigh BMX bike and that would be a cool bike but not geared.
Rampars were available in 10-speed men's and women's versions before the BMX models were produced, as I recall from my days working in a Raleigh dealership. The 10-speed versions were essentially low-cost, low-quality bikes meant to help Raleigh dealers compete with department-store-bike sales. Definitely claw-style derailleurs.

Bit of trivia---I still have a 100% nylon Rampar-branded track jersey (no pockets).
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-22-20, 02:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Rampars were available in 10-speed men's and women's versions before the BMX models were produced, as I recall from my days working in a Raleigh dealership. The 10-speed versions were essentially low-cost, low-quality bikes meant to help Raleigh dealers compete with department-store-bike sales. Definitely claw-style derailleurs.

Bit of trivia---I still have a 100% nylon Rampar-branded track jersey (no pockets).
Ahhh another bike boom hunk of piece. The BMX bike is way cooler.