Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would it help me to get a different bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Would it help me to get a different bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 02:43 PM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
That my friend, is a hard hill - 2 miles of hell, most well in excess of 12% and parts that are over 18%. That might be one of the top three hardest hills in Warren County.
Old 10-21-20, 02:55 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ
That my friend, is a hard hill - 2 miles of hell, most well in excess of 12% and parts that are over 18%. That might be one of the top three hardest hills in Warren County.
I have ridden up Fiddlers Elbow, but not recently. And yeah, it's a tough one. Since it's a pretty long climb, it helps to have low gearing because it's hard to stand for the whole thing. Unfortunately, it's about 50 miles from where I live so I won't be doing it anytime soon.
Old 10-21-20, 03:01 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesgelwicks7
I'm new to biking but for the past two years I have enjoyed biking about twice a month on a flat, 184 mile towpath that is mostly dirt, or rock dust, but sometimes mud. I'm able to ride for about 40 miles a trip at a speed that averages around 10mph, but I would really like to improve both my distance and speed. I currently have a 2009 Diamondback Response Sport Mountain bike that weighs 33lbs, but with my bag and accessories it climbs up to 39lbs. So my question is if I go out to my local bike store and buy one of their $2000 bikes that weighs considerably less, would I see a major improvement? Would my mph go up, would I be able to peddle longer distances, and please take into consideration I ride on almost no hills? I have tried asking local bike shops but I feel they are just trying to sell me an expensive bike that might not help much. I really know very little about bikes, but I read a thread on here that most people were saying that weight doesn't matter on flat surfaces, but I think they were talking a difference of only a few pounds. I have read that some bikes weigh as much as 15lbs less than mine, I have to believe that would help me a lot, but I really dont want to spend $2000 to find out. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading.
Towpaths are typically pretty flat because they have to be. The bikes weight (and yours for that matter) are not really significant once you get up to speed. In fact, extra weight can sometimes be advantageous for momentum.

Don't buy a new bike to save weight if you're riding flat routes. Buy a new bike because it fits better, it looks nice, you want to support you local bike shop, and maybe most importantly, it speaks to you in a way that makes you WANT to ride it.