Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Need a little assistance with buying a bike

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 07:16 PM
JoshS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everybody, I have been riding cheap- very low quality bikes from Walmart for the majority of my life. My old bike had such rusted nuts and bolts that none of the wheels can be removed. I spotted this bike on craigslist: washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/bik/d/washington-giant-acapulco/7213286959.html
Does anyone know if this is a good buy? Judging from the seat, new looking tires, and the Cantilever Brakes, it looks like a nice old bike.
Old 10-20-20, 07:20 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling to Classic & Vintage Appraisals.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...213286959.html - $175.

pic assist

Old 10-20-20, 07:53 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Are you 6ft+ tall? If not, pass as it's not your size.

The bike itself is not high end, just a decent bike that can be ridden. If it is ride ready (looks OK in the non drive side photos) then the price is fair for the current covid market, but it would be around $100 pre covid. I'd offer less as the prices tend to be heading back to pre covid levels for these type of bikes, at least in my market.
Old 10-21-20, 05:40 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
It's reasonable to ask $175 for that. And, someone will probably eventually buy it. It would go a lot quicker at $100. Looks like it would make a really nice commuter or grocery getter (if it had a rear rack & fenders). A big drawback for me is the tires. Knobbies are a real drag on pavement. Way too slow. I would have to change those tires to something with nice smooth tread. Get that bike rolling faster. So, put some Kenda K841A tires on it & lets make a deal.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 10-21-20, 06:41 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshS
Hello everybody, I have been riding cheap- very low quality bikes from Walmart for the majority of my life. My old bike had such rusted nuts and bolts that none of the wheels can be removed. I spotted this bike on craigslist: washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/bik/d/washington-giant-acapulco/7213286959.html
Does anyone know if this is a good buy? Judging from the seat, new looking tires, and the Cantilever Brakes, it looks like a nice old bike.
Giant brand is a definite step up from department store quality. It appears clean and in good condition. If it is ready to ride, the price is about what I'd expect in the current environment. Bike prices have soared in some markets due to lack of availability.
Likes For TugaDude: