Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

light (i.e., non-winter) waterproof gloves & shoe covers?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 06:00 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

after getting my hands and feet drenched again today, I'm on the hunt for some gloves and shoe covers that are WATERPROOF but not too warm.

i.e., I have some lobster gloves which are waterproof, but they are also super-warm. I want stuff I can wear in the summertime to stay dry when it's raining but not roast my piggies and digits.

all set in the raincoat department.
Old 06-10-13, 06:08 PM
majwell

Bikes: 2006 Kona Jake, 2011 Trek Cronus CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is hot you are going to get wet one way or another, either from the wet outside or the sweat inside. I wear shoe covers sometimes but my commute is not that far and I mostly want to keep my shoes from getting drenched.

People seem to like the Rivendell Splats: https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/ar3.htm I have another pair but would replace them with these if they wear out/break. Though a lot of people wear bike sandals in summer.

I have no idea about your hands, sorry, I just let mine get wet in summer.
Old 06-10-13, 06:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
What's so bad about getting wet hands or wet shoes ??..It's summertime and it's warm out there.
Old 06-11-13, 07:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
after getting my hands and feet drenched again today, I'm on the hunt for some gloves and shoe covers that are WATERPROOF but not too warm.

i.e., I have some lobster gloves which are waterproof, but they are also super-warm. I want stuff I can wear in the summertime to stay dry when it's raining but not roast my piggies and digits.

all set in the raincoat department.
Look at Pearl Izumi's Barrier line of gloves. They aren't as hot as the lobster gloves and they are water resistant. Pearl also makes a shoe cover out of the same material. You can find lots of other products by doing a google search for "bicycle shoe rain covers".

In a pinch, plastic bags from the grocery store work well for shoe covers. You can even clip them into a cleated pedal without issue.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
What's so bad about getting wet hands or wet shoes ??..It's summertime and it's warm out there.
I can see mtalimn's problem with wet shoes. I hate them.

Also, although the rains of the east are warmer, the rains we get out here in Colorado can drop the temperature 20 to 40 F...and that's in Denver. At higher altitude, it can be even worse. When you start at 65F or so and drop the temp 40F, you are getting close to freezing. It becomes an issue.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-11-13, 07:48 AM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks cycc, I checked out the Barrier line but they say nothing about waterproofness but there is a "Barrier WxB" model that claims it. so I may try those, even though they are fleece lined (= warm).

have tried the grocery bag thing but water still gets in from the leg I think. I just can't stand soggy socks.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Look at Pearl Izumi's Barrier line of gloves. They aren't as hot as the lobster gloves and they are water resistant. Pearl also makes a shoe cover out of the same material. You can find lots of other products by doing a google search for "bicycle shoe rain covers".

In a pinch, plastic bags from the grocery store work well for shoe covers. You can even clip them into a cleated pedal without issue.

I can see mtalimn's problem with wet shoes. I hate them.

Also, although the rains of the east are warmer, the rains we get out here in Colorado can drop the temperature 20 to 40 F...and that's in Denver. At higher altitude, it can be even worse. When you start at 65F or so and drop the temp 40F, you are getting close to freezing. It becomes an issue.
Old 06-11-13, 09:14 AM
mattgmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been eyeballing these https://www.dzrshoes.com/H2O

but the price is steep and I want to see someone else use them before dropiping the coin.

My shoes don't have enough time to dry during the day before my return commute, and get pretty funky.
Old 06-11-13, 09:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cycle Rain Cape takes care of both, drapes over my hands, and the awning formed by my arms,

Keeps my feet reasonably dry.. I Do have Mudguards on my bike to catch wet spray off the wheels..
Old 06-11-13, 09:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
slip on rubbers? but that doesn't take care of the tops and water dripping down. in the winter pants cover the tops of shoes/boots, etc but in the summer you can't really seal the top around your ankle. for gloves you might consider just keeping extras, maybe shoes too, so that you can alternate while they dry.
Old 06-11-13, 10:05 AM
mattgmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking that some lightweight gaiters might do well in the summer. Sure, they look silly, but they would keep the vast majority of water out of your shoes.
Old 06-11-13, 10:06 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I don't mind damp shoes, they'll get that way just on a hot ride and damp dries well enough at my office. It's when the shoes squirt out water with every pedal push and are still soaking wet at the end of the day that I don't like.

I bought some cheap shoe covers and learned that they aren't waterproof at all although they did delay the onset of soaking wet feet. I bought some Kiwi silicon spray just the other day and have applied 2 treatments to my shoe covers, with a third to go on soon. I am hoping that this will work and will let others know. It is supposed to rain on the way home tonight so it'll be a good test.

To prevent water from running down the legs into the shoe covers, I will use a velcro reflective leg/pants band and cinch it tight around the top of the shoe cover. Again, when I've had a chance to test this, I'll let people know.
Old 06-11-13, 10:13 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I hate wet socks too, and searched for a long time for a solution...never did find anything that really worked. I finally just went with really well vented shoes, so that once the rain stops everything dries really fast. That and light wool socks, they seem to be a little better when they're wet.
Old 06-11-13, 10:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by mattgmann
I was thinking that some lightweight gaiters might do well in the summer. Sure, they look silly, but they would keep the vast majority of water out of your shoes.
these feet look sweet https://www.guthookhikes.com/2011/10/...l-gaiters.html
Old 06-13-13, 08:58 PM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got the pi wxb shoe covers and they are amazing. water beads up on them, but they are not too hot. just ordered the wxb gloves for daddy day