Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

If shoveling was cycling.....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 08:17 AM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

....I'd have done a century yesterday.

Dad-Gum snow keeps falling out of the sky and piling up everywhere and being in the way and the plows don't come and it's cold and I'm getting tired of all this Winter crap and I can't wait till Spring gets here if it ever does and I wanna play with my bikes and I wanna be warm and all this whinning isn't helping me one single little bit.

Just sayin'
Old 02-07-11, 10:08 AM
old

Bikes: two, at present

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel your pain ... a little bit. It snowed here last night and today was to be a road ride for me. Instead, I'll take out my frustration by riding intervals indoors.

When I was a kid I use to volunteer to shovel our driveway at any chance. Now, I have a much shorter driveway because the shoveling is less of a pleasure on this aging body. As a 20-something I dug many snow caves in the mountains, even if I wasn't planning on using them that day, just for the fun of it. Part of me must have been a snow mole back then.

I hope you see a warm melting spell soon.

Last edited by old; 02-07-11 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 02-07-11, 10:22 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12206 Post(s)
Liked 1,503 Times in 1,113 Posts
I got shovel my roof again yesterday.

No like em winter, throw em way..
Old 02-07-11, 11:04 AM
Torgrot

Bikes: Fuji Grand Fondo 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spent two days digging out. 20" of snow and then another 2-3" after that. It isn't the snow so much as it is the piles. I hate the piles. They get all black and ugly and just linger on way to late in the spring. I now am the proud owner of several taller than I am, and they will be with me for a very long ugly time.
Old 02-07-11, 11:13 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I hear ya, Cranky. Last week I was so bored I swapped four different cranksets in and out of my commuter and tried three different sets of pedals just to see which ones looked better. Ended up staying with the original. These last two winters have dumped more snow on us than the previous five put together. The good news is that at the end of the day today, we'll be one day closer to spring.
Old 02-07-11, 11:54 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I feel your pain! I shoveled so much snow last year that I ended up with a pinched nerve in my lower back that was a huge pain well into spring. Finally had to go to a chiropractor to get my back straightened out.

This year we haven't gone up to the cabin much (been renting it out to snow boarders and ski folks), but at 6,700 feet, there's a lot of snow up there or a fairly regular basis.

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-07-11, 12:15 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recall how frustrating it was to shovel off the driveway and get a new snow fall just a few hours later. That is an advantage that I enjoy in central Florida.
Old 02-07-11, 12:29 PM
outwest5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never had to do the snow thing. Here it stays up in the mountain where it belongs. It's pretty up there. You just remind me how glad I am to live in the land of perpetual sunshine, but I feel for you. Spring will come for you.
Old 02-07-11, 12:40 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I've shoveled this damn driveway for 38 winters. Since my accident in December, the neighbor has been doing it with his huge snow-blower. You ought to see this thing, it looks like something they use to clear airport runways.

I really miss shoveling...............Not!
Old 02-07-11, 12:53 PM
werks

Bikes: Bike Friday ( 2ea), Specialized TriCross Comp, Cannondale M900, Cannondale ST400 (1985), TREK T 900 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually enjoy shoveling snow... It's just another workout to me.

Yesterday, I plowed the dirt road to our house twice.

Rita drove the snowblower on the asphalt driveway.. Or should I say it drove her

While several bull elk watched us work.... Never a dull moment here in the Rockies.

Last edited by werks; 02-07-11 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-07-11, 03:03 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I got rid of the old wornout snowblower - single stage - and got a two stage off of CL, but almost new as the seller got another and bigger one free from his boss moving to another (snowless) state.

However, I have used it only 2 times this winter here in Parker, where we have been almost snowless. But, it looks as if tonight and tomorrow I will get to use it.

Shoveling snow is one of the worst exercises for my back, and I avoid it, having had a fusion just Oct of this year, and I don't want the rest of those vertebrae and discs to wear out any more than they already are.
Old 02-07-11, 04:38 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have to shovel manure year around so you'll get no sympathy from me! But I am prepared to pass on some sage advice proffered by my trainer (and I paraphrase): "If you want to get some training benefit out of (fill in blank here) do so ambidextrously". I am trying to cultivate ambidextrous manure shoveling, but it ain't going so well. I would recommend at least two different sizes of shovel for those light and heavy workout days
Old 02-07-11, 08:21 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
O.K.

I concede to the manure guy!

I can't imagine the horror of waking up to 2+ feet of manure on the roof threatening to collapse the entire structure! The thoughts of trudging through knee deep manure on the back deck just trying to get the bike off the porch and out to the driveway are giving me the heebie jeebies. And slipping the old truck into four wheel drive to blast through manure drifts must be an aromatic treat indeed!!

It puts a whole new slant on the phrase "Oh no! There's another foot and a half of that crap in the driveway and I just shoveled an hour ago!!"

(No harm intended, you just kinda tickled some Gary Larson like thoughts deep in the darkness of my messed up head. I realize life caring for livestock, farming, and such is hard work.)

I guess the snow ain't so bad after all. I'll be thinking of your plight rdtompki, the next time I'm moving snow....though I probably won't dwell o it too long!!!
Old 02-07-11, 08:30 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
COD - you need to write a book. I love your writing and style. Keep it up.

Originally Posted by cranky old dude
O.K.

I concede to the manure guy!

I can't imagine the horror of waking up to 2+ feet of manure on the roof threatening to collapse the entire structure! The thoughts of trudging through knee deep manure on the back deck just trying to get the bike off the porch and out to the driveway are giving me the heebie jeebies. And slipping the old truck into four wheel drive to blast through manure drifts must be an aromatic treat indeed!!

It puts a whole new slant on the phrase "Oh no! There's another foot and a half of that crap in the driveway and I just shoveled an hour ago!!"

(No harm intended, you just kinda tickled some Gary Larson like thoughts deep in the darkness of my messed up head. I realize life caring for livestock, farming, and such is hard work.)

I guess the snow ain't so bad after all. I'll be thinking of your plight rdtompki, the next time I'm moving snow....though I probably won't dwell o it too long!!!
Old 02-07-11, 09:18 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
rdtompki, if you are successful at developing the ability to shovel manure in an ambidextrous fashion, then you will be qualified for and should run for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives or the U.S. Senate. There are quite a few up there who are very skilled in that endeavor.

Now back to the spirit of the OP, we're about to get another batch of #@!&%#!! here in Arkansas on Wednesday. Our temperatures are running a good deal below average for the last three weeks or so. The last batch of white @#!^&$##! has just about melted, and now we're in for more. Me and the bikes have a good case of cabin fever
Old 02-07-11, 09:33 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Snowing here right now, again. Sigh.
Old 02-07-11, 09:49 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Same boat DF is in, it's suppose to be "coming in", tomorrow and we haven't got the ICE to melt off the parking lot as of yet Suppose to start SLOWLY improving by Weds. if it snows too much it won't be gone by the weekend!

Old 02-08-11, 05:23 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The thread of comparative missery... I love it. It does seem that this year's winter weather has been harder on many of us than other recent ones. I was just wondering what we would be doing to "deal with it" if these were still the days before the Internet?
Old 02-08-11, 05:41 AM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
The thread of comparative missery... I love it. It does seem that this year's winter weather has been harder on many of us than other recent ones. I was just wondering what we would be doing to "deal with it" if these were still the days before the Internet?
Oh, you mean back during my drinking years? Let's see...it went something like...work, drink, sleep-it-off, repeat as needed. Ahhh, the good old days. Sigh.

It was toasty warm in the bars, as I seem to recall.
Old 02-08-11, 05:47 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Oh, you mean back during my drinking years? Let's see...it went something like...work, drink, sleep-it-off, repeat as needed. Ahhh, the good old days. Sigh.

It was toasty warm in the bars, as I seem to recall.
Maybe that's why I can't remember it very well either. I guess all that bar stool warming slowed down considerably when the kids arrived, and then it was time to go "play" in the snow with them. Their excitement, energy, and sheer joy seemed to make it bearable.
Old 02-08-11, 05:37 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
Well, shovelling ain't cycling, but...

This gizmo may have been inspired by a bicycle wheel. Here is my wife clearing the driveway after last Tuesday nights dumping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS76n...layer_embedded
If it looks like she's having fun, it's because she is.
Old 02-08-11, 05:47 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
This gizmo may have been inspired by a bicycle wheel. Here is my wife clearing the driveway after last Tuesday nights dumping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS76n...layer_embedded
If it looks like she's having fun, it's because she is.
Dan, where in heaven's name do you store that thing!
Old 02-08-11, 05:53 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Dan, where in heaven's name do you store that thing!
It disassembles into two major pieces, and hangs flat on the wall. Storage is not an issue.
I laughed my head off the day I came home and found the boxes it came in with a note asking me to assemble it. I still chuckle, but I don't laugh at it any more. It actually works well.