Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace Hub Cone Info

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Dura Ace Hub Cone Info

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-22, 11:22 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 466 Posts
Dura Ace Hub Cone Info

A couple of forum members indicated in the “ISO and for trade” sticky thread that Dura Ace cone info was useful, and should be its own thread. I had some spare time and rather enjoy researching things I find interesting, so I put this together.

Attached is a PDF document containing Shimano Dura Ace cone information (part number and cone dimensions, where available) from Dura Ace 10/7000-series to Dura Ace 9000-series. It also has remarks that may be of some interest where applicable.

Yes, some of the later Dura Ace series aren't exactly C&V. I decided to include them anyway, for completeness.

This info was extracted from Shimano documentation (primarily exploded views, but in one case the information was found in Service Instructions instead) available at

https://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/Keyword

The listing has been checked twice, and I believe it to be accurate. However, when manually extracting data from printed material typos and misreads occasionally happen; I cannot guarantee that it is 100% error-free. Double check the Shimano documentation yourself before using this information to make substitution or purchase decisions regarding Dura Ace hub parts.

If anyone finds an error in the attached document, please PM me. I’ll correct any errors and post a new version.

Moreover, this listing only covers the Dura Ace hubs I was able to locate when searching Shimano’s document repository. I cannot state definitively that I found all Dura Ace hub variants. If someone knows of a missing hub from series 7900 or earlier, PM me the model number and I’ll see what I can find regarding that hub. In particular, if anyone has a definitive model number or numbers for the 7200-series Dura Ace FRONT hub(s), please let me know. Shimano’s available documentation is unclear on that/those hub(s) exact model number or numbers.

Hopefully someone will find the attached useful. If not, at least I enjoyed researching the issue.

Edited to add: hat-tip to forum member "Unca Sam" for providing the Shimano document search URL. I'd missed that utility previously.
Attached Files

Last edited by Hondo6; 07-10-22 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Format changes to attached PDF for readability (no content changes)
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 07-10-22, 08:43 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 67 Posts
I don't have any Dura-Ace gear, but I do appreciate the time and effort it took you to put this together.

Thanks for sharing it!
Old 07-10-22, 09:19 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,239 Times in 655 Posts
Wheels Manufacturing Shimano Cones Link

Hondo6

Wheels Manufacturing has some good info on Shimano cones including dimensions:

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-cones.html

I have a few NOS 1st Generation DuraAce front cones. PM me if anyone is interested.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 07-10-22 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-11-22, 06:01 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I was part of the impetus for this tread as I have a 740x rear DS cone that is not in great shape

FH-7403 cone RS1 3 on Flickr

The damage is not evident when spinning the wheel. I have considered having it ground by a BF'r or just marking the orientation and mounting it on the top. Buying a used equivalent hub is too much. >$100 for a cone?

The preference is for a replacement. Looks like it is as available as another cone from a Helicomatic, which was evident when trying to spin the wheel!
P1000288 on Flickr
Old 07-11-22, 11:54 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Just reminding myself to check my Shimano literature.