Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vittoria Corsa Graphene clinchers; Worst Tire ever?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 09:46 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts

Bought a set Vittoria Graphene Clinchers a couple of months ago. They may be the worst tires I ever bought.

They are almost impossible to mount. I almost always can mount tires without using a tire iron. These were so stiff and tight, I broke two tire levers before I finally got one mounted. The problem is not the rim, given that I've easily mounted other tires on the same rim including Continental GP 4000s, and Schawlbe One's

Biggest problem however is that within 3 months, and a few hundred miles (on a bike at our second home that only sees occasional use) the casing began to separate from the bead, leaving a nice aneurism.

I realize that this is a sample of one, and its possible I got a tire that was on the low end of the size spec tolerance, and the casing failure could just be a rare defect.

However, the LBS that I bought it from has had so many complaints that they've quit carrying them, and many people complain on line regarding difficulty in mounting them.

And on top of all that, they don't ride as nice as the previous generation Open Corsas.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-18-17, 09:49 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Old 01-18-17, 09:52 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Yeah, I own one, but didn't have it with me.

And it doesn't help repairing flats, unless you want to carry the tire jack with you.

These tires were still a PITA to take off and remount after several hundred miles.
Old 01-18-17, 09:55 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Interesting. I have a set of Vittoria Corsa G+ tubulars going on my new build. I have also been previously impressed by the Corsa SC's I used when I modernized my Trek 660. Hopefully I'm not as let down as you've been.
Old 01-18-17, 10:02 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

^I've used Vittoria tires for years. Most recently Vittoria EVO CX Tubulars on my race wheels, and Vittoria Open Corsa on my Merlin.

I've always liked Vittoria tires. The EVO CX tubulars ride great.

The Open Corsas ride very nicely, with the only knock being that they are not terribly durable, but that's a known tradeoff.

The new generation graphene clinchers do not feel anything like the Open Corsa's. The casing of the tire feels much stiffer and thicker, and IMHO, they don't ride nearly as nicely.

The tubulars may be different, however.
Old 01-18-17, 10:45 AM
HOWSER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finished up the last part of road season last summer on a set of the Graphene's. Felt they cornered as well as any other EVO or Corsa's I've raced on. My only complaint was the tire compound on the top surface is very hard in comparison to other offerings from Vittoria. Multiple times I've been in a situation of sudden braking and the tires each time locked up/skidded. This is not good.

Other than that I liked them.
Old 01-18-17, 11:28 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

And it doesn't help repairing flats, unless you want to carry the tire jack with you.

These tires were still a PITA to take off and remount after several hundred miles.
The VAR jack is compact enough to carry on rides. Works great.

I wouldn't be surprised if the damage to the bead interface wasn't due to the mounting difficulty. Not your fault; you have to do what you have to do to get it on, but they are simply making that tire too small, and it can't withstand the stress

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-18-17, 11:34 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Mine are good.
Old 01-18-17, 11:54 AM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Haven't had any issues with the GrPhene tires. The Speed is a really nice riding tire and as good as the Corsa Evo CXIII I used prior. My Pacenti rims are hard to mount any tire on so that's not a big issue for me. I currently have 3 different Graphen tires and l ride very nice and all are hard to mount but no different than any other tire I have used.
Old 01-18-17, 12:25 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
^I've used Vittoria tires for years. Most recently Vittoria EVO CX Tubulars on my race wheels, and Vittoria Open Corsa on my Merlin.

I've always liked Vittoria tires. The EVO CX tubulars ride great.

The Open Corsas ride very nicely, with the only knock being that they are not terribly durable, but that's a known tradeoff.

The new generation graphene clinchers do not feel anything like the Open Corsa's. The casing of the tire feels much stiffer and thicker, and IMHO, they don't ride nearly as nicely.

The tubulars may be different, however.
I don't have enough miles on my Open Corsa's to comment on durability but I'd buy them again regardless because the ride is very nice.

The casing on the Corsa G+ tubulars feels very supple, almost to the point of too supple. I can't imagine how the G+ Speed tubulars feel. Hopefully I'm riding them soon...still waiting on a few small pieces to complete my build.
Old 01-18-17, 05:34 PM
icanbike2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience has with these tires has been the opposite. I've used them since early last year and have nothing but good things to say about them. They go on my Roval CLX 60s like butter. Only 1 flat in 2500 miles (I use latex idk if that really helps). I like them so much I ordered 3 more sets so I never run out of spares.

The sidewall does get dirty, but nothing crazy.
Old 01-18-17, 06:54 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mine have been fine too and weren't any more difficult than any other tire to get on the rim...maybe you got a bad one
Old 01-18-17, 07:07 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I got a pair in spring last year for my track bike. They seemed to mount fine. At the end of the summer I switched the tubes (to butyl, so I wouldn't have to hang the bike up or regularly reinflate it over the winter), and they seemed to come off and re-mount fine.
Old 01-18-17, 08:24 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts

https://www.retro-gression.com/produ...tire-bead-jack
Old 01-18-17, 09:47 PM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Open Corsa G+ for me on my second pair. I absolutely love them compared to my gp4000. these have lasted just as long, no separation, and havent been hard to mount. even clincher. I would rather have it tougher to get on knowing no way of it coming off
Old 03-07-17, 01:26 PM
Dtizzle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using a pair of the open Corsa G+ anthracite 25c for a few months. Probably about 300 miles outdoors and 700 miles on Kickr Snap indoors. I have used the same model on a different bike and really like them.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed on the rear tyre tread from the middle to the sidewall a straight tear about 15mm long. It looks as though a knife could have made it(having interrogated the gf, have ruled a malicious slashing out). I thought it must have happened outside at some point.

Today however I noticed the exact same tear on the front tyre. From centre to edge of the middle section. I'm pretty puzzled as it's only been on the trainer the last two weeks so essentially stationary.

I wanted to post pictures but I'm not sure how.

Anyone experienced this?

Last edited by Dtizzle; 03-07-17 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-07-17, 08:31 PM
lyrictenor1

Bikes: 2016 Fuji SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have been running the Corsa G+ clinchers for the last 5 weeks; have about 500 miles on them (maybe 350 on the road, 150 on the rollers). They were a cinch to get on the rim; didn't need levers or anything. I like them much better than the GP4000sII they replaced. No flats yet.
Old 03-07-17, 11:27 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I have the new Vittoria Graphene on my C60 and on my Master. On the C60 I run Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels and on the Master I run Ambrosio Excellence wheels. I have not experienced any problems mpunting or dismounting, these tires.

As far as their quality is concerned, I have not experienced any problems. Time and more mileage will tell, however.

These are great wet weather tires.
Old 08-07-17, 12:52 PM
Relik

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've been a Vittoria fan but my experience with their graphene tyres isn't very good.. i just flatted a Corsa Speed clincher (rear) and the reason quite simply is it is wore out.. threads showing most of the way around the centre.. i have 1308 kms on it.. pressure usually about 125 psi..

and i have gone through 2 Corsa G+ tubulars as well.. in each case, they got about a 7mm split in the sidewall.. one front, one back and i'm pretty sure i din't run up against a curb or anything.. i haven't added up the distance but i would say about 400 kms on those.. (time trial bike) 145 psi in those.. i'm afraid to use them anymore
Old 08-07-17, 01:28 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Relik
i've been a Vittoria fan but my experience with their graphene tyres isn't very good.. i just flatted a Corsa Speed clincher (rear) and the reason quite simply is it is wore out.. threads showing most of the way around the centre.. i have 1308 kms on it.. pressure usually about 125 psi..
That seems expected. Short wear life is basically a selling point for that tire, since it implies all-out optimization for suppleness. It's true that a bit of extra tread thickness at the centerline will add only a very marginal amount of weight and rolling resistance... but that sort of compromise isn't in the spirit of the Corsa Speed.
Old 08-07-17, 04:37 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Mine were very difficult to mount the first time. And I didn't have a tire jack at the time. On a recent ride I got a flat in the rear wheel. Pulling the tire off to repair the flat wasn't too bad. Remounting is was easier than the first time but still difficult. I have about 700 miles on them so far and they are holding together nicely. They ride nice but I'm not sure I would buy them again. Nothing really special about them that I can tell. Then again, I am a barbarian.

-Shin
Old 08-08-17, 11:11 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 283 Posts
Man, I must have jinxed myself by reading this thread yesterday. Got a flat on my Corsas this morning when a small thorn got stuck in one of the grooves. Luckily, it was the front tire. Tire came off and went back on pretty easily... No more difficult than any other tires I've used...
Old 08-13-17, 07:00 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I have the Graphene clinchers on all of my road bikes. These are great tires, ride well, reasonably long wear and (dare I say it and run the risk of jinxing myself) no flats.

Some of the roads that I ride on are pretty bad and yet these tires continue to ride beyond my expectations.

During our recent unseasonably wet winter (I ride in So. Cal.) these tires gave me the confidence to climb and descend.

Ease of mounting and removal may be more a function of wheel choice. My Ambrosio Excellence wheelset make tire (any tire) removal and mounting very easy.
Old 08-13-17, 08:39 PM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just mounted a set of Vittoria Corsa G+ 28mm tires on a set of Reynolds Attack wheels. Quite possibly the easiest tire install ever; went on pretty easy (but not so easy that I would worry about them coming off). Haven't ridden them yet, we will see how they ride and hold up.

Last edited by fa63; 12-29-17 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-29-17, 01:54 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Bought a set Vittoria Graphene Clinchers a couple of months ago. They may be the worst tires I ever bought.
Is this the tire that was being discussed (I know this is a 1yr old thread), or is this a newer tire? Thought I'd try a set of these to compare to current Michelin Pro4 Endurance.
https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t...ation=11349470

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.