Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trek 520 with issues

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trek 520 with issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-19, 06:19 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Trek 520 with issues

I am looking at building up a tourer and this one while needing work might be a good base to start from. Alternatively it might be a parts bike.

Was over $250 (can't recall price then), the $250 and now $200

Per Ad (spelling is seller's)
"2009? Trek 520 Touring bike. The Frame is solid, wheels & bags. It does need new seat and bottom bracket. Other then that this is a good bike to go out west east or werever. I will consider best offers. Also comes with extra tires, chain and cassette."

I'm not worried about the saddle. I have spares.

I emailed seller and asked about the need for a new BB (why it was need?). I asked does it need new cranks as well? I asked what the gearing was and what model drivetrain as I don't know the crank model, etc. I asked what size the frame was and if the seatpost and bar stem were seized.
Seller replied, "Takes my breath away. The most are answered in the ad. I'm 5'11. Inseam 32". 11-36 pn bike. Chain on 2nd is cut for spare 11-34. As far as I know the I fell twice this year with fully loaded and it probably weakened it. The bags are in good shape. The BB I have no idea its a hollow tech. But you might need change hole unit. I emailed again and said I got the approximate size of the frame (I'm 6'1") so might be close to my height as it is. I said I got that it was an 11-36 rear but that I wanted to know what speed was the rear - 7 speed, 8 speed, 9 speed, etc and that I could see from photos that it was a triple crank but what type of crank was it and gave an example (i.e. - 52/44/22)? I asked what seller meant by "As far as I know the I fell twice this year with fully loaded and it probably weakened it." So I asked what was weakened? Lastly I asked what seller meant by "The BB I have no idea its a hollowtech. But you might need change hole unit" In the ad it had said it needs a new BB, so I asked do cranks need replacing as well? I then realized seller hadn't answered if the seat post and stem were seized so I re-emailed on that. My question: Is there any real value in what seller has here?? I can see scrapes on the rear basket which are consistent with a fall. Does anyone see any other concerns? I have to drive over an hour each way just to look at this one.

I'll post the remaining ad photos next as total is 11 and can only post 10 at once.
Old 10-27-19, 06:23 PM
WGB 
WGB

2nd set of photos

Old 10-27-19, 08:51 PM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I would call the owner and talk on the phone. You can probably tell him over the phone how to measure C to C. It looks on the smallish side for someone your size to me, but looks can be deceiving. If the BB is toast, that is not too big a deal. Lots of extras on it. Personally, I would bring tools and verify seatpost and a lot more, then make an offer based on findings.
Old 10-27-19, 09:44 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
I would call the owner and talk on the phone. You can probably tell him over the phone how to measure C to C. It looks on the smallish side for someone your size to me, but looks can be deceiving. If the BB is toast, that is not too big a deal. Lots of extras on it. Personally, I would bring tools and verify seatpost and a lot more, then make an offer based on findings.
The bike when new likely came with drop bars, thus it probably was converted to flat more upright bars. If you wanted to go back to drop bars, you are talking about the cost for shifters and brake levers too.

I do not think I have ever seen that front rack before.

I am not sure but I think there is a trailer hitch on it, for which brand of trailer I have no clue.
Old 10-27-19, 09:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
If the frame and wheels are in good shape I think the bike is worth it. Check the rim's brake track for concave wear. Pluck each rear wheel spokes for consistent tones (per side). Pull the rear wheel and spin the axle by your fingers. Try to pull the post. Ask if the OEM bars and shifters are still around, IIRC they were drop bars and bar end shifters. I suspect it was speced with 9 cogs. Beyond the bars and shifters I wouldn't pay much for other extras.

I'm in Rochester, NY so if the bike is near me I might be able to help. Andy
Old 10-28-19, 09:57 AM
WGB 
WGB

Not sure what is happening with my entries on BF! I keep trying to update this thread and it won't load.

Thank you everyone for your help, especially Andy who offered to help me. Seller is mad at me and says I'm being difficult and that he is done with me and if I want it, to buy it. Not sure about driving down to meet him as it's a good drive for a "maybe" as not sure how he'd react if I said "No". Think I know why it hasn't sold yet......

I might revisit this later and have my son email him.
Old 10-28-19, 11:18 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
For the price, the frame alone is worth more than that (if in good condition).
If the size is right, I say go for it.
Old 10-29-19, 12:58 AM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Looks to small for a person 6,1. Never buy a frame the wrong size. From the looks of it you are buying a frame to restore, not a complete bike.

$200 is far to much for a tired old frame.

I read a post last summer. I guy was asking if $300 was to much for a 95 hardrock. I paid $29 for a 95 hard rock at the Goodwill store shortly after reading the $300 question. Frame was in good enough shape. I was able to ride it home. I had to replace everything.

Ask yourself a couple of questions.

Can you do all the work yourself? Replace every part and build new wheels?

Do you have a lot of old parts laying around?

If you need to order new parts and pay a mechanic to install them. Just buy a new bike. They will be on sale a couple of weeks after christmas.

Example:

$3, for bearings, clean and grease the hub yourself. Straighten the wheel.

$133, pay a mechanic to straighten the wheel and rebuild the hub.
Likes For chrisx:
Old 10-29-19, 11:13 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
$200 is likely a very decent price for this bike but (a) it does look too small and (b) the seller is being difficult. I wouldn't waste my time on a drive if the seller can't be bothered to measure the frame.