Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon - A potential SAFETY ISSUE

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon - A potential SAFETY ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 12:46 PM
Fietser54
Retro grouch

Bikes: Waterford, Bilenky, paramount tandem, dahon, specialized, et al.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have identified the problem and fixed it!

The twisting of the steering on my Mu P8 Dahon is real, it's dangerous, and it's not a failure to adequately tighten the clamp. The problem is the quick release clamp, which uses an aluminum lever. I was discussing the twisting issue with a mechanic friend, who reminded me that when aluminum levers first started being used on wheel skewers about 20 years ago, we quickly found that they couldn't hold a wheel in a horizontal drop-out. They were only strong enough for a vertical drop out where the dropout was used to resist the twisting motion on the axle. To fix the problem with my steering, I simply found an old steel seat-post quick release and an appropriate collar, and ..... INSTANT FIX. The bike went from almost unridable to rock solid. Please note: I also replaced the collar, because the old steel quick releases were intended to mate with a flat surface, and the Dahon collar meets the quick release with a curved surface. You might be able to salvage the Dahon collar by filing down the curved surface, but I had access to a box of spare collars, so I didn't need to go that route.
I've been trying to figure this out for two years, and when I did, I specifically joined Bike Forums so that I could get the word out on this issue. Please pass it along.
Old 04-28-20, 07:40 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
I have an older Curve that had a handlebar post recall from CPSC.
Was this rotation the reason? I never got an answer.
I have not had rotation problems with the post, and have found the Dahons pretty solid and not overly flexy.
The do take a watchful eye to check adjustments, but one should be doing that on any bike.
Get in a hurry, get in a problem.

God Bless Thor
Likes For bikebikebike: