Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crushed limestone trails

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Crushed limestone trails

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 09:34 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I too found that full fenders make a HUGE difference to the amount of dust and other grit that gets onto my bike when riding the crushed limestone trails around here.

I've converted a few MTBs to dropbar and barend shifters and they're terrific for riding these limestone trails or dirt/gravel roads. Here's one of mine with full fenders.

Cheers
Old 08-24-20, 08:26 AM
schundog

Bikes: Masi CXR, Trek Crossrip 3, Trek 5500 OCLV, 1982 Bianchi SS, Civia Kingfield Belt-Drive Commuter, Cannondale T700, Cannondale R600, Cannondale R800, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1988 Peugeot Nice, Marin Bobcat Trail 3 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Yesterday I did an out and back on our local rail-to-trail, the Kal-Haven trail. It runs east west from Kalamazoo to South Haven.

I rode my 1980 Trek 710. The trail is 33.5 miles of crushed limestone. While the trail is not my usual ride, the stock size 27" x 1 1/4" tires did fine. Make sure that you wash your bike when you're done as the dust can be corrosive. Fenders would definitely help minimize the dust.

The next time I go to the ‘zoo for my Heritage Guitar annual get-together, I’m bringing my bike and staying over a day to try this trail. Thanks!

Last edited by cb400bill; 08-24-20 at 08:59 AM.
Likes For schundog:
Old 08-24-20, 10:10 AM
oldukbkr 

Bikes: '59 Rory O'Brien, 49/72 Holdsworth Trike, '66 Bates BAR, '74 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Its a very pretty ride but I agree the dust is a pain. There is a paved bike/hike trail that runs parallel to the towpath from Alexander Road. Its not as scenic but still an interesting ride without the dust.
Old 08-24-20, 11:04 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Three letters for you.

PNW.
Most/all of our off road trails are crushed granite. Looks like this in the summer and winter.

Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve

That typical winter mist
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 08-24-20, 01:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
While riding @scozim 's Tour of the Palouse ride in 2018, I learned to love washboard gravel. If it's not too deep and you're not climbing, you can ride hard and "float" on the tops a bit. It's a cool feeling.

Here's our group early in the ride (photo stolen from @Drillium Dude's Flickr account), no washboard that I can see, but there was plenty later that day.

Those with fenders kept their bikes fairly clean, btw.
Old 08-24-20, 01:14 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
While riding @scozim 's Tour of the Palouse ride in 2018, I learned to love washboard gravel. If it's not too deep and you're not climbing, you can ride hard and "float" on the tops a bit. It's a cool feeling.

Here's our group early in the ride (photo stolen from @Drillium Dude's Flickr account), no washboard that I can see, but there was plenty later that day.

Those with fenders kept their bikes fairly clean, btw.
There wasn't much in that section. That part was covered with the thick, new gravel laid by road crews. From what I remember there was some washboard on the way up the hill just in front of us - but the ruts weren't too deep because of the gravel.

Old 08-24-20, 01:17 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Paved trails are too labor intensive when you have extreme cold winters - frost heave. Crushed stone is self-draining. Would you rather ride on crushed stone or broken-up asphalt? Maintaining paved trails can get expensive!!! Heck, around here, they barely maintain the roads. I'm sure repaving a bike path would be waaaaaay down on the priority list!
Old 08-24-20, 01:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
There wasn't much in that section. That part was covered with the thick, new gravel laid by road crews. From what I remember there was some washboard on the way up the hill just in front of us - but the ruts weren't too deep because of the gravel.
Yeah, that was early on. I just took another look through Jeff's hundreds of photos, and found the perfect one with @rccardr, you and me sprinting towards the end of the last bit of gravel. You can clearly see the undulations from the washboard. Perfect washboard to push hard and float on the tops.

Old 08-24-20, 01:25 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
The local mountain bike dump is all limestone. I've managed to cut two 29er sidewalls in a month there. Fortunately, it was the same tire on different days.

I think I've cut one or two tires on my gravel bike there too.

It's fun adjacent, not quite fully fun, and 6 miles from my doorstep so I keep going back. It is definitely some sharp rock though.

​​​​​​
Old 08-24-20, 01:49 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
On a vintage road bike, you are likely limited to 32c-35c which is likely enough for the trails you describe. If you want something fatter, then your best options are a 650b conversion or a mountain bike rigged up for trail and road riding.

700 x35c fit on a 1979 Trek 510 I just rebuilt. I use my 1992 Trek 950 with its 26 x 1.75 tires and trekking bars when I want fatter tires.

I have some 1.75" Forte's that I'll use on the Trek 950 once in awhile. Grip is ok. The knobbies are on it in this photo.

Last edited by scozim; 08-24-20 at 01:54 PM.
Likes For scozim:
Old 08-24-20, 02:51 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Took the dog for a walk at lunch today and took these pics on the Central Valley Greenway. This unpaved route is -5minute ride from my backdoor.

Old 08-24-20, 05:53 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Paved trails are too labor intensive when you have extreme cold winters - frost heave. Crushed stone is self-draining. Would you rather ride on crushed stone or broken-up asphalt? Maintaining paved trails can get expensive!!! Heck, around here, they barely maintain the roads. I'm sure repaving a bike path would be waaaaaay down on the priority list!
Same thing here in South-Central Ontario, Canada.

In Toronto, Canada, many years ago (early 1980s) they paved a number of trails in some of the parks. Then they had to put speed bumps on them in order to try and slow down the wannabe racers who would zoom along at very high rates of speed as if they were competing in a Grand Tour.

That's one advantage to crushed limestone trails but you have to watch out for the cross-country cyclo-cross or MTB riders who also seem to be training for some big race. That's not to mention the Ebikes.

Crushed limestone works pretty well for a surface and is indeed fairly self-draining and it's easy to maintain.

Cheers
Old 08-24-20, 06:58 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Lots of vintage gravel grinders! You should put some pixs in the Cyclocross/gravelgrinder forum.
Here is my Miyata 1000 with 36, Donnelly's MSO,rides like a dream. Love gravel touring with it