Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Component Everyone Hates (Except You)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Component Everyone Hates (Except You)

Old 08-31-20, 06:11 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke
It's hard to believe that I'm the first person to mention Delta brakes. I know that a lot of people like them but even more complain about them....and many of those have never even used them. If they're set up right they work as well as anything out there IMO.

E
they’re too expensive for a lot of people to use and learn how to hate, 😉
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-31-20, 06:37 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Yep, FREEWHEELS. ALL of my bikes have freewheels, the four road-ridden have 6-speed (two Ultra-spaced, two normal...) The Schwinn Woodlands is seven-speed, as it the Mutt. I'm borderline Clyde and have NEVER broken a freewheel hub axle.
Old 08-31-20, 09:09 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
I like the beauty of the spoke protector. I have a small collection, expect to see more!

Old 08-31-20, 11:02 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
1. Shorts with no padding. No diapers for me. When everyone switched from real chamois to synthetic, you could toss your shorts in the laundry and wear them the next day without rubbing something to make that bit of leather soft again. They they started adding padding, more, then more...not a bit of which added up to more comfort. Get a saddle that fits your sitz bones, you won't need that padding.
2. MAFAC centerpull brakes. Put some new pads in and adjust them properly, you've got braking power and modulation in a super light setup. Most people don't know how to set them up properly. They do have a lot more degrees of freedom of adjustment, but once you dial them in...coming around "that corner" at Eroica California, I felt I was one of the few people that had confidence.
3. Cloth handlebar tape finished with twine and multiple layers of shellac. Takes a lot longer to finish off, but it's a great look, and nearly indestructable. Once a year you can just wipe it clean with some alcohol, then add a new coat, looks brand new. I've got a couple of bikes that have 5-6 years of the same tape, still going strong and looking brand new.

Old 08-31-20, 11:28 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,508 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
. . .
2. MAFAC centerpull brakes. . . . They do have a lot more degrees of freedom of adjustment, . . .
That is a wonderfully genteel way to put it. There are four - count 'em, four - types of brake pad adjustment controlled by a single bolt (straight up/down, swivel up/down, in/out, and rotation). Controlled by a single bolt. One! What a major PITA. I used Mafac Competitions a very long time ago, and you are correct about how well they work once set up, You are also correct that I (and most others) have never learned the proper set up technique - when I had mine, getting them set up was more a matter a luck and perseverance in the face of an implacable foe than of skill or knowledge. And I never ever ever even considered doing anything that would have required readjusting them. Oh, and that world-famous Mafac squeal until they were toed in properly was something to behold. (BTW, the same is true of a Universal 51 (not a typo) rear brake. Near to wake the dead, it did.)

But Mafacs did and likely still do stop you. I will give you and them that. They just torture you in the set up process first.
Old 09-01-20, 09:55 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
1. Shorts with no padding. No diapers for me. When everyone switched from real chamois to synthetic, you could toss your shorts in the laundry and wear them the next day without rubbing something to make that bit of leather soft again.
YES!! I've switched back to hand-me-down Protogs wool because I'm smelly, and found that the lack of padding is actually better (for me).
But I am not learned in lore. What do you put in the leather to make it soft again? I tried some beeswax based stuff, but it is too sticky. Is it an oil you're meant to use?
Old 09-01-20, 10:18 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by scarlson
YES!! I've switched back to hand-me-down Protogs wool because I'm smelly, and found that the lack of padding is actually better (for me).
But I am not learned in lore. What do you put in the leather to make it soft again? I tried some beeswax based stuff, but it is too sticky. Is it an oil you're meant to use?
Someone with more memory than me will chime in, but I recall a special chamois cream could be rubbed in.

I had one pair before the synthetics started coming out. A couple of years ago I bought another pair just for Eroica and other cosplay events. I'll admit to wearing them maybe a dozen times, and have not washed them yet...
Old 09-01-20, 10:25 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
That is a wonderfully genteel way to put it. There are four - count 'em, four - types of brake pad adjustment controlled by a single bolt (straight up/down, swivel up/down, in/out, and rotation). Controlled by a single bolt. One! What a major PITA. I used Mafac Competitions a very long time ago, and you are correct about how well they work once set up, You are also correct that I (and most others) have never learned the proper set up technique - when I had mine, getting them set up was more a matter a luck and perseverance in the face of an implacable foe than of skill or knowledge. And I never ever ever even considered doing anything that would have required readjusting them. Oh, and that world-famous Mafac squeal until they were toed in properly was something to behold. (BTW, the same is true of a Universal 51 (not a typo) rear brake. Near to wake the dead, it did.)

But Mafacs did and likely still do stop you. I will give you and them that. They just torture you in the set up process first.
The trick is to adjust them with the return springs disengaged, then make sure the pivots are level before doing anything else. I've brazed on posts to a couple dozen bikes, which not only eliminates a lot of those degrees of freedom, but also stiffens the entire assembly.

I have a Motobecane Le Champion I've been riding a lot lately with Competitions on it. It's a kind of "mule" bike to test stuff out on. I brazed some bottle bosses on it, didn't even bother to deflux (it's acting as a rust barrier right now). I've got some squeel in the brakes despite my adjustments, so I'll probably braze some posts on to see if that alone makes it go away. I've heard it helps a lot, and makes the brakes stiffer (feels more powerful). I've always thought this was probably the case, but now I'll have an A-B test. I'll report back when I'm done with it. Long weekend coming up...
Old 09-01-20, 10:46 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Someone with more memory than me will chime in, but I recall a special chamois cream could be rubbed in.
Yeah that's what everyone says when I go searching for the answer. This is going to be like my René Herse restoration project, isn't it? I will need to buy a tin of vintage chamois cream and use expensive science equipment to reverse-engineer it and then be too tired to make more than a single tin for myself. I'll post the arcane formula here however it will require equipment and chemicals nobody has access to.
I had one pair before the synthetics started coming out. A couple of years ago I bought another pair just for Eroica and other cosplay events. I'll admit to wearing them maybe a dozen times, and have not washed them yet...
Some have accused me of cosplay, it's true! In cooler climes I can easily get a dozen rides from a pair of decent wool shorts before washing them.
Old 09-01-20, 10:55 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Liked 3,594 Times in 1,237 Posts
3. Cloth handlebar tape finished with twine and multiple layers of shellac.
I admire the commitment of people who shellac their handlebar tape.

I'd like to try it sometime, but it seems like I'm always switching parts out on my bikes
Old 09-01-20, 11:08 AM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
People didn't know better and set bikes down any which way. Or they got knocked over when they were up on a kickstand, which most bikes had. Bashed derailleurs were a common problem.
The geared kids bikes from REI that I bought had really substantial bash guards for the rear derailleur. Must have been a problem!
Old 09-01-20, 11:23 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
The trick is to adjust them with the return springs disengaged, then make sure the pivots are level before doing anything else. I've brazed on posts to a couple dozen bikes, which not only eliminates a lot of those degrees of freedom, but also stiffens the entire assembly.

I have a Motobecane Le Champion I've been riding a lot lately with Competitions on it. It's a kind of "mule" bike to test stuff out on. I brazed some bottle bosses on it, didn't even bother to deflux (it's acting as a rust barrier right now). I've got some squeel in the brakes despite my adjustments, so I'll probably braze some posts on to see if that alone makes it go away. I've heard it helps a lot, and makes the brakes stiffer (feels more powerful). I've always thought this was probably the case, but now I'll have an A-B test. I'll report back when I'm done with it. Long weekend coming up...
Brazing on the posts does exactly what you said, it stiffens the arm's mounting, preventing the squishy splaying of the posts and thus critically preventing a toe-out condition from developing as braking force is increased.

As far as setting up all kinds of canti's or centerpulls having multi-adjustable pads, I have my own method that seems to work well right out of the gate.
I will center up the caliper bridge (if present) and then observe if both pads are adjusted identically in the in/out direction. I then check that the arms are centered relative to where the rim should be.
Next, I apply the brake lever until the pads just touch the rim, and secure this lever position using a toe strap.
Now I can loosen the nut on the carriage bolt and with one hand pinching the pad squarely against the rim in proper alignment I then tighten the nut. I may use a shim (like a credit card or a dime) under the leading (facing rear) end of the pad to effect any degree of toe-in that is needed. This then gets repeated for the other pad.
On some such brakes there may be a tapered washer that needs to be rotated to match the correct pad contact angle or toe-in. I always lubricate the threaded and washer surfaces first!!!
All this seems to make the process easy, stress-free and repeatable. Different brakes require adaptations to this because of their specific hardware, and each bike has it's own minimum of toe-in required.

One more thing to know is that the effect on toe-in of the braking force is opposite between the front and rear brakes, since the outward splay of the posts is pointing in opposite directions between the front and rear brakes! So where front brakes may tend to squeal more as the lever force increases, the opposite is true of the rear brake where any initial squeal tends to go away as lever force increases.
In either case though, rigidly-mounted studs (and/or the addition of a bridge between studs) will greatly reduce any tendency for the toe-in to change as the braking force is increased.

Lastly, where any kind of rim brake has less than ideal rim contact (i.e. with the pad not meeting the rim squarely),, one can use an accelerated break-in procedure either by riding in wet/dirty conditions or by applying the brake while rotating the wheel forcefully forward with heavy belt-sander paper shaping the pad to the rim as shown. I do this all the time for quick tune-ups to bikes destined for any "wholesale"-like transaction, in lieu of replacing pads or of more time-consuming pad setup. Also for my own use during evaluation rides of used-bike purchases.

Last edited by dddd; 09-01-20 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-01-20, 11:25 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
For me it is tire savers or flint-catchers. They are now a relic of the past, except for Rene Herse that sells a new version. Contrary to some, they DO work and are all of 15g in weight. I used them 40 years ago, and when I found them 4 years ago, started again.
I believe our own rootboy supplly them or did to Rene Herse. I have a couple of pair left from purchasing back in the early 70's.
Tire Savers on Flickr

they work well on single pivot brakes, even non-nuted. You have to be creative by hammering down the loop to be a washer configuration.
PA132343 on Flickr

Then either replace a washer or stackit on the front of the caliper.
PA132334 on Flickr
PA132335 on Flickr
PA132337 on Flickr
Old 09-01-20, 11:39 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
1. Shorts with no padding. No diapers for me. When everyone switched from real chamois to synthetic, you could toss your shorts in the laundry and wear them the next day without rubbing something to make that bit of leather soft again. They they started adding padding, more, then more...not a bit of which added up to more comfort. Get a saddle that fits your sitz bones, you won't need that padding.
2. MAFAC centerpull brakes. Put some new pads in and adjust them properly, you've got braking power and modulation in a super light setup. Most people don't know how to set them up properly. They do have a lot more degrees of freedom of adjustment, but once you dial them in...coming around "that corner" at Eroica California, I felt I was one of the few people that had confidence.
3. Cloth handlebar tape finished with twine and multiple layers of shellac. Takes a lot longer to finish off, but it's a great look, and nearly indestructable. Once a year you can just wipe it clean with some alcohol, then add a new coat, looks brand new. I've got a couple of bikes that have 5-6 years of the same tape, still going strong and looking brand new.
Aerotech Designs has a nice minimally padded short. Pretty thin, and much less diaper-like. You can also get unpadded shorts from them.

I am a fan of the MAFAC centerpull as well. Just excellent brakes.

Tried the shellac method years back and just couldn't warm to it. It often looks wonderful, but the feel left me wanting the finish off. I like cotton tape a lot, but prefer it just plain old. Longevity suffers, of course.
Old 09-01-20, 12:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 1,426 Posts
Being rebelliously frugal, I never bought chamois cream. I used Vaseline or hemorrhoid ointment, and it seemed to work fine. I bet nearly any oil would do.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 09-01-20, 12:52 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
I think on Eroica rides, you're required to use olive oil.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-01-20, 12:56 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
BITD, when chamois were made from chamois, people made their own chamois butter concoctions. I remember using a mix of Noxzema and aloe vera gel. Not sure if Noxzema even still exists.

+1 on the padded shorts. I don't like them either. But I guess for this thread I should say: Unpadded shorts, everybody hates them, but I think they are great!
Old 09-01-20, 12:56 PM
scarlson 

AH! I have one! SPLASH BAR TAPE! Nothing like matching splash tape on captain and stoker bars. Tandems are goofy anyhow, so why the hell not.

Also: front drive tandems! Because front shifts shouldn't have to be some game of call-and-response. With front-drive, the captain is more in-charge of everything, leaving the stoker free to faff about and instagram the countryside while the captain messes with the derailleur, having a clear view of what's going on.

Last edited by scarlson; 09-01-20 at 01:00 PM.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 09-01-20, 01:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 1,426 Posts
Also: front drive tandems! Because front shifts shouldn't have to be some game of call-and-response. With front-drive, the captain is more in-charge of everything, leaving the stoker free to faff about and instagram the countryside while the captain messes with the derailleur, having a clear view of what's going on.
I don't get it. What's the advantage? I don't need my stoker's help when I shift the front derailleur.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-01-20, 01:52 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I think this was mentioned once earlier: 3x drivetrains (combined with 7/8 speed on the back). I've ridden a few bikes with more sprockets on the back, but most of my bikes have 3x drivetrains and sometimes, what works just works. Wide, inexpensive chains, and a large cassette sprocket that actually fits on a small dinner plate!

I also like the MAFACs on my Peugeot. I think I did get lucky with the setup on these. Not having the neato original pad holders, I have some cheap Altus CT-91 canti shoes in those brakes and they actually stop pretty well. I do get some squeal if they're wet. This is most apparent when I bring the bike from my conditioned basement out into a humid summer evening. I'll get squeal for the first 30-45 seconds of actual brake application. But they quiet down after some use.
Old 09-01-20, 02:22 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by noglider
I don't get it. What's the advantage? I don't need my stoker's help when I shift the front derailleur.
On a rear-drive tandem, the derailleur's just so far back that I can't see what's going on. With the stoker's legs acting as a dampener, I can't feel the front shift either. So I need some coordination. I'm always asking what's going on. Did I make the shift? Can we put power down again or will it crunch? Call, response. With front-drive, I still can't feel it, but I can see it. It works for me, anyway.

People also say front-drive makes the crossover BB last longer because it's not getting pulled asymmetrically resulting in thrust loads on the ball bearings. I don't know about that, but I'm inclined to believe it after seeing a Hadley sealed BB seize up on my dad's rear-drive Santana on tour. And the drivetrain doesn't grind when I cross it up and ride big/big or little/little, which I'm more likely to do on a tandem. It's all these little things that make it a winner, but it's really hard to make a case for. I didn't even try it until I got my Jack Taylor, which came that way. And everything was just a lot better!

Even my stokers with thick calves don't get chain tattoo, so I think I've got things set up properly. Or maybe that's just another advantage of biopace: less flop and whip in the long chain of a front drive tandem.

Last edited by scarlson; 09-01-20 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 04:07 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
EZ Mafac Racer setup.

Originally Posted by bikingshearer

I always found the easiest way to adjust the toe and pads on Mafac Racers was to wrap a strip of inner tube around the rim at the rear of the pad, then use a toe clip strap to tightly pull the brake lever. Then you loosened the bolt on the post pads, gave another good squeeze of the brake lever and tightened the strap a bit more and retightend the adjustment bolts. Unstrap the lever and bingo, uniform toe-in and alignment. Fine tune with the barrel adjuster on the lever. If the toe was not enough you added a layer of inner tube. I learned that from the shop where I bought my 1973 Peugeot UO-8. They gave a short class to new bike owners on how to use the Mafac tool kits that came with all new Peugeots.

Here is a great resource for fans of all types of Mafac brakes. https://www.flickr.com/photos/mafac_...57676387624323
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 09-01-20, 04:09 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I will need to buy a tin of vintage chamois cream and use expensive science equipment to reverse-engineer it and then be too tired to make more than a single tin for myself. I'll post the arcane formula here however it will require equipment and chemicals nobody has access to.
Note to self: ask the wife for a gas chromatography setup for Christmas...
Old 09-01-20, 05:04 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Being rebelliously frugal, I never bought chamois cream. I used Vaseline or hemorrhoid ointment, and it seemed to work fine. I bet nearly any oil would do.
Some really old timers told me that too.
Old 09-01-20, 07:24 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Note to self: ask the wife for a gas chromatography setup for Christmas...
My wife was a GC analyst for 18 years in a paint/coatings company research center. Her specialty was beverage can coating -- Checking the 'bake' or cure of the interior coating for any residual volitiles, etc... Ball can, Metal Container (Miller brewing)... she had a beer can collection from all over the world lining the walls of her lab...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.