Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

trainer spindown calibration

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 07:49 AM
oik01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

I have a cycleops hammer trainer i bought used. On trainerroad it lets me do a spindown calibration. However on zwift no such calibration comes up. When you calibrate is that specific to the app ( How it interprets the received signals) or does it change the signal transmitted from the trainer so that one calibration on one app will work for all others?
Old 09-02-20, 07:53 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Not familiar with cycleops, but Wahoo has it's own app where you do the spindown. The calibration is to the trainer, the trainer transmits the data to Zwift.
Old 09-02-20, 08:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
is there a trainer-specific app that lets you do a spin down? Wahoo has one.
Old 09-02-20, 01:11 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
i have a wahoo and for a long time i thought i could not calibrate via zwift. then one day i saw a button during the pairing phase. not sure if i just missed it before or if it only became available when needed. the trainer is supposed to indicate to the display when calibration is needed so maybe it was not needed. with the wahoo app i can cal any time.

-scott
Old 09-02-20, 05:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
Moved here from the General Cycling forum
Old 09-02-20, 05:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by oik01
I have a cycleops hammer trainer i bought used. On trainerroad it lets me do a spindown calibration. However on zwift no such calibration comes up. When you calibrate is that specific to the app ( How it interprets the received signals) or does it change the signal transmitted from the trainer so that one calibration on one app will work for all others?
That's weird. It does on mine when I use my Kinetic. I use the ios app (iPad), but I know that the the other interfaces are slightly different.
Old 09-02-20, 07:24 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Are you going to the Zwift "Paired Devices" screen (Bluetooth symbol in "Menu") and clicking the little wrench?
Old 09-02-20, 07:40 PM
oik01

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Are you going to the Zwift "Paired Devices" screen (Bluetooth symbol in "Menu") and clicking the little wrench?
I will try to take a picture tomorrow but no wrench shows for me. I saw that on youtube but I def don't have it. I connect through the companion app though I wonder if that has anything to do w it
Old 09-02-20, 07:43 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
I will try to take a picture tomorrow but no wrench shows for me. I saw that on youtube but I def don't have it. I connect through the companion app though I wonder if that has anything to do w it
Ah. Could be a device incompatibility, but you might try the main app. I've never tried to connect with the companion.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-10-20, 05:46 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I run Zwift on Apple TV and the little wrench disappeared a few updates ago - I just occasionally do a spin down using the Wahoo app, since I'm using a Wahoo Kickr SNAP trainer. I don't think there is any app specific calibration needed and the Wahoo recommendation is "Though some 3rd party apps like Zwift can perform spindowns, Wahoo always recommends using the Wahoo Fitness app for best results."
Old 09-24-20, 11:07 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,864 Posts
Until I got a power meter, I used the Kurt Kinetic Inride for my Zwift power. did the spindown calibration with the Kinetic app, then switched over to Zwift. Later, when I got the powermeter, I compared and the spindown and powermeter values were nearly identical.

In other words, at least with zwift, doing the spindown calibration on the hardware-specific app, then switching over to Zwift, Zwift knows about your calibration.
Old 09-24-20, 08:14 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Until I got a power meter, I used the Kurt Kinetic Inride for my Zwift power. did the spindown calibration with the Kinetic app, then switched over to Zwift. Later, when I got the powermeter, I compared and the spindown and powermeter values were nearly identical.

In other words, at least with zwift, doing the spindown calibration on the hardware-specific app, then switching over to Zwift, Zwift knows about your calibration.
Cal data is stored on the trainer, not any application. there are no real provisions to pull cal data out let alone shove it back in. however, upon completion of a cal there are three pieces of info that an application could use for compensation: temperature, zero offset (unitless value), spin down time in milliseconds. i think in reality this is only used for information. the app that i wrote does nothing with this data aside from display it after a cal is done.

-scott
Old 09-24-20, 09:14 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,864 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Cal data is stored on the trainer, not any application. there are no real provisions to pull cal data out let alone shove it back in. however, upon completion of a cal there are three pieces of info that an application could use for compensation: temperature, zero offset (unitless value), spin down time in milliseconds. i think in reality this is only used for information. the app that i wrote does nothing with this data aside from display it after a cal is done.

-scott
I am not sure I follow you. The trainer (or in this case, the inRide device), is sending info to the app about power. If the inRide is calibrated correctly, the data that is sent is (approximately) accurate. The app doesn't need the calibration data, it needs accurate power data input. Perhaps I put it inelgantly when I said that the app (zwift) knows about the calibration. What I meant is that it's receiving data that has been adjusted for the callibration.

Or are you add
Old 09-24-20, 10:17 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I am not sure I follow you. The trainer (or in this case, the inRide device), is sending info to the app about power. If the inRide is calibrated correctly, the data that is sent is (approximately) accurate. The app doesn't need the calibration data, it needs accurate power data input. Perhaps I put it inelgantly when I said that the app (zwift) knows about the calibration. What I meant is that it's receiving data that has been adjusted for the callibration.

Or are you add
well, in the case of the inRide it is just a power sensor, not a trainer. at least according to the Kinetic site. the calibration still occurs but in your case is stored in the inRide since the point of the inRide is to turn a dumb trainer into something better but not quite a smart trainer. the app that i was referring to is something like Zwift or Rouvy. you can perform the cal in almost any app and the cal data is stored in the inRide, not the app. that way any app can take advantage of the cal. the app only instructs the inRide to perform the cal.
Old 12-12-20, 09:08 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
There is a way to spin down on Zwift, at least with my KickR Snap. On that initial screen where is shows your linked devices, there is a little wrench icon under the trainer. Click that and you'll go into calibration. I usually use the Wahoo Utilities phone app though. And I have no idea if you get the same results or not. Or if it matters.
Likes For bblair:
Old 12-12-20, 08:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have never been able to get the Zwift calibration to work for my Kinetic. In the Kinetic app, yes. In the TrainerRoad app, yes. But for whatever reason, it always times out on Zwift. Shrug.
Old 02-06-21, 09:06 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
OK, since my last post, the Spin Down option in Zwift has disappeared. Not sure if there is a setting, or calibration, or what. I use the Wahoo app on my phone to do it and wonder if it gives the same results or if it even matters. Either way, I'm sweating in the basement.
Old 02-06-21, 10:13 AM
oik01

Originally Posted by bblair
OK, since my last post, the Spin Down option in Zwift has disappeared. Not sure if there is a setting, or calibration, or what. I use the Wahoo app on my phone to do it and wonder if it gives the same results or if it even matters. Either way, I'm sweating in the basement.
I have a cycleops trainer and there's no option on zwift but there is one on trainerroad ... My sense has been that calibrating in trainerroad or the cycleops app produced the same result and I suspect it's probably the same for other trainers. I'm sure someone will reply with their experience in wahoo
Old 02-06-21, 11:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10418 Post(s)
Liked 11,876 Times in 6,083 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I have never been able to get the Zwift calibration to work for my Kinetic. In the Kinetic app, yes. In the TrainerRoad app, yes. But for whatever reason, it always times out on Zwift. Shrug.
I found that I can't have Zwift running, or even have the Ant Stick plugged in, to do a spindown on my Snap using the Wahoo ap. It either didn't start properly, or never told me to stop pedaling, or never finished calculating after the flywheel stopped. RF interference, I imagine. I've taken to just warming up 10 minutes in-game and using Zwift's spindown to calibrate. Seems to work well enough, but I'm not sure I'd know if it didn't, since I don't have any other power meter.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-06-21, 12:52 PM
spelger

I have read and implemented the ANT+ FE-C controller documentation for calibration and there is no real useful data for an application to use when it comes to calibration. the cal procedure is really quite simple:
  1. user starts calibration
  2. application tells trainer cal is starting
  3. trainer tells app the user is not peddling fast enough
  4. app tells user to peddle faster until
  5. proper speed is reached and trainer tells app to stop peddling
  6. app tells user to stop peddling
  7. trainer sends updates of spin down (current wheel speed, trainer temperature)
  8. trainer informs app that spin down is complete and if successful otherwise some sort of failure. in the end you wind up with a zero offset (a value with no units) and a spin down time.
  9. that's basically it. what an application would do with the spin down time or offset i have no clue. this is why it is my belief that any app that can do a spin down calibration is just as good as any other, the cal data is in the trainer, not the app.

Likes For spelger: