Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Taking the hardtail plunge!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 10:25 PM
Cali Scott

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Everybody! Been quite awhile since I posted! After riding full suspension bikes since 1995, I have decided to swap parts over from my Fuji Reveal FS bike and build up a hardtail trail bike. I started riding on a fully rigid Schwinn High Sierra in about 1989 then switched to suspension fork about 1991, from about 1995 on, FS bikes only. After much research, I have a 2021 Nukeproof Scout on the way. I feel the FS bikes have made me a bit lazy and I plan to re-learn some of my riding skills and remember to choose lines instead of slamming through things. Also would like a bike that was a bit more efficient and lighter for climbs. I just bought a house so I am not in the financial position to buy another bike (I also have a road bike that I ride most often). Would love to hear thoughts from people who have made the switch. Thanks, Scott
Old 09-03-20, 01:18 AM
l3m4nt

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts
I guess a lot depends on the type of trails you ride, no?
Old 09-03-20, 11:30 AM
Cali Scott

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by l3m4nt
I guess a lot depends on the type of trails you ride, no?
Yeah, here in So Cal there is a huge variety of terrain and trails. Many of the trails I ride are not maintained and have huge ruts and rocks. I put together a budget rigid bike a few years ago and was able to ride the same trails I rode with my SC Heckler and Fuji, but had to 'piece things together' rather than plowing through, but it was fun. I got rid of that bike after a few rides and built up a road bike, so I never played with tires sizes/pressure on the rigid. That will definitely be part of my learning curve going to the new hardtail. Drop pressure, maybe go with some wider 2.4 tires? We shall see!